HELP- how to recovery critical files from corrupt NTFS partition

HELP- how to recovery critical files from corrupt NTFS partition

Post by kobeb.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Previously I had two partitions: 4GB of NTFS for
Windows 2000 and 8 GB of NTFS just for data
files.  I was planning to install Linux Mandrake
7 so I merged the two partitions using partition
magic 5.01(2GB data from partition c: and 1 GB
data from partition d:).  now I had a harddrive
with a single partition c: running on windows
2000.  Just today I tried installing Linux
Mandrake 7.  I used the Linux installation
program  to resize the windows partition to 4GB.
The rest of the harddrive I alloted to Linux.  I
was assuming that  all the files in this
partition was in the first 3GB (due to recent
merging of data) so I made an allowance of I GB.
After installing Linux, which was working well, I
noticed that Windows 2000 was inaccessible
already.  I ran the setup CD and  tried using the
Emergency Repair Disk but it couldn't find my
windows 2000 installation.  So I ran setup again
and chose Repair Console.  Within Recovery
Console I used the options fixboot and fixmbr.
But still I couldn't get into Windows 2000 after
rebooting.  This time I erased d: partition where
linux resided, and then tried to clean install
windows 2000 into partition d:.  But setup would
stop and show a warning that partition c: is
corrupt and cannot be repaired so setup cannot
continue.  I noticed that windows 2000 setup
knows how much total free space partition c: has
but that when chkdsk is used, it is reported that
there is one or more unrecoverable problems with
the partition.  Also partition c: doesn't report
any directory or file structure under Repair
Console option.  Now, when I try to use your free
trial easy recovery diskette, upon boot up either
the software hangs ending with:
frame=D000 Kb=32768
or it mentions that a device or system is causing
fault error.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP- how to recovery critical files from corrupt NTFS partition

Post by Annihilato » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

    This probably taught you about the trust one can put into Li*ux. It has corrupted my system too many times to tell. The only place it can run on it now is inside an appropriate cage - VMware.
    And for the remedy... no one knows how corrupted your data could have become after the stunt Li*ux pulled. There is a chance that it is intact, but the only way to recover it seems to be adding another drive and installing W2K on it. Maybe "juggling" with Partition Magic or with some of the Sysinternals repair utilities could also help you - it did it for me once.

--
Annihilator
Head of the SawMan's Consortium

Quote:> Previously I had two partitions: 4GB of NTFS for
> Windows 2000 and 8 GB of NTFS just for data
> files.  I was planning to install Linux Mandrake
> 7 so I merged the two partitions using partition
> magic 5.01(2GB data from partition c: and 1 GB
> data from partition d:).  now I had a harddrive
> with a single partition c: running on windows
> 2000.  Just today I tried installing Linux
> Mandrake 7.  I used the Linux installation
> program  to resize the windows partition to 4GB.
> The rest of the harddrive I alloted to Linux.  I
> was assuming that  all the files in this
> partition was in the first 3GB (due to recent
> merging of data) so I made an allowance of I GB.
> After installing Linux, which was working well, I
> noticed that Windows 2000 was inaccessible
> already.  I ran the setup CD and  tried using the
> Emergency Repair Disk but it couldn't find my
> windows 2000 installation.  So I ran setup again
> and chose Repair Console.  Within Recovery
> Console I used the options fixboot and fixmbr.
> But still I couldn't get into Windows 2000 after
> rebooting.  This time I erased d: partition where
> linux resided, and then tried to clean install
> windows 2000 into partition d:.  But setup would
> stop and show a warning that partition c: is
> corrupt and cannot be repaired so setup cannot
> continue.  I noticed that windows 2000 setup
> knows how much total free space partition c: has
> but that when chkdsk is used, it is reported that
> there is one or more unrecoverable problems with
> the partition.  Also partition c: doesn't report
> any directory or file structure under Repair
> Console option.  Now, when I try to use your free
> trial easy recovery diskette, upon boot up either
> the software hangs ending with:
> frame=D000 Kb=32768
> or it mentions that a device or system is causing
> fault error.

1. Help w/Win2000 NTFS partitions and NT 4.0 NTFS partitions.

We have a new server that is running Win2000. It has been
added to our existing WinNT4SP6a network (2 servers).The 3
servers are attached to 3 Mylex RAID units via a fibre
channel switch which is managed with Tivoli SANergy
software loaded on each of the servers.
Unfortunately, what happened was that we booted the
Win2000 server to test the fibre channel card BEFORE we
loaded SANergy and it grabbed all the other storage thru
the fibre channel connection. We then removed the drive
letters in Disk Admin so the Win2000 system did not see
them anymore. But I think that was too late.
Now when we boot the other two (NT4) servers we get a
message during the HAL init (blue screen) that "these
partitions have been created with a newer version of NT.
Please boot the newer version and run check disk." So far
the drives seem to be working ok with the exception of one
partition that had to be reformatted and restored.
We are concerned that something else may happen.

Here is the $64,000 question - Is there a way to "revert"
the Win2000 partitions back to the way they were before
Win2000 saw them without losing the data? If we have to
reformat them and restore all the data we will. It is just
something we are trying to avoid having to do.

Thanks.

2. Moving text in drawing takes forever

3. Help! Corrupted NTFS Partition :(

4. Norstar Startalk Flash RS-232

5. NTFS file partition corrupt

6. Wy-30 termcap/terminfo

7. Corrupt Mac files on NTFS partition

8. HELP - recover files from corrupt partition

9. HELP - how to recover files from a corrupt partition

10. FAT32 FILE SYSTEM AND FILES RECOVERY FROM NTFS

11. Checking a corrupt Windows 2000 NTFS partition with NT 4.0 SP 5

12. Defrag --> corrupts NTFS partitions