Ctrl-Alt-Del disabled

Post by Larry Jone » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:54:31

My company has given me a new Dell computer pre-loaded with Win2k.  On this
machine, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing.  I can't look at the task list,
shut down a hung program, log off, lock the machine...  nothing.  I am aware
that you can enable/disable the ctrl-alt-del requirement for logging in, but
on this machine, the function is totally unavailable at all times.  Is this
situation correctable within Windows, or is there some third-party program
locking things up?  (I am the local administrator on this machine.)  I would
be grateful for any advice on this.

Larry

Ctrl-Alt-Del disabled

Post by RobH » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:10:31

Unless Dell has included some computer management programs on the
menu, settings can be controlled by the Administrative Tools
(Start..Settings...Control Panel), by applying administrative
templates, or by the equivalents in a domain if the laptop has
been or will be connected to a networked domain.

Unless and until domain (overriding) settings are in place, you
should be able, using your administrative account on the local
computer, to:

Start..Programs..Accessories..Command Prompt, and then type
gpedit.msc and press the enter key;

Start..Run..gpedit.msc or;

Start..Settings..Control Panel..Administrative Tools..Local
Security Policy.

There are various settings for Computer or User Configuration, as
well as Administrative Templates.  As it mentions, domain policies
would over-ride.

Help is on the Action menu within these Tools, and there is a
Question mark or symbol on the menu bar.

If you use Start..Run.. and the Browse button, can you navigate to
c:\winnt\system32, or c:\windows\system32 and see the various
executables?

Start..Run..taskmgr.exe should be one of them.  If you run it,
does it open?

If you will be connecting to a company network, you will probably
be consulting with your IT persons I would imagine, regarding some
of these things.

Also the online Windows 2000 Resource Kits that Microsoft has are
very informative:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000

Regards, RobH. {the Happy User}