Automatically log off users when login time expires

Automatically log off users when login time expires

Post by Jon » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 05:30:38

I have enabled a GPO for computers that is applying
several settings on the computer that are working fine.  I
enabled the "automatically log off users when login time
expires" under computer configuration, security settings,
security options, and I set the logon time for the user.
The logon time is working since I can't log into the
computer after the specified time, however it won't log
them off if they are already logged in.  Apparently lots
of people have had this problem but I don't see a solution
to it.  When I issue the "net accounts" command I get
various results depending on the user but if I run "net
accounts \forcelogoff:10" it will set it to 10 min. but
still won't log them off.... Argh.. Novell had this
feature years ago along with limiting the concurrent
logins which 2000 doesen't support at all without some
goofy resource kit add on.  Anyway does anyone know how to
force users to log off after the login time has expired.
The servers are ADS and the workstations are Windows XP.

Thanks

Automatically log off users when login time expires

Post by A » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 05:25:10

I'm having the exact same issue.
Environment: single server domain; W2KAS using AD; XPP, W2KP, and W98
clients
Actions: (1)Enbled "automatically log off users when login time
expires" in both Domain Security Policy and Local Security Policy.)
(2)executed the net accounts /forcelogoff:5 command.

Problem: Once the forcelogoff command has been completed successfully,
I will go back in to the cmd prompt and check the status with a "net
accounts" command. If I check immediately after I issue the command,
the status of forcelogoff is as I set it. If I wait for a few minutes
to several hours, the status of forcelogoff has changed back to the
default of "no". Once it held my command over night and I actually got
a clean backup but by the next morning the default was back to "no."

Anyone. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

> I have enabled a GPO for computers that is applying
> several settings on the computer that are working fine.  I
> enabled the "automatically log off users when login time
> expires" under computer configuration, security settings,
> security options, and I set the logon time for the user.
> The logon time is working since I can't log into the
> computer after the specified time, however it won't log
> them off if they are already logged in.  Apparently lots
> of people have had this problem but I don't see a solution
> to it.  When I issue the "net accounts" command I get
> various results depending on the user but if I run "net
> accounts \forcelogoff:10" it will set it to 10 min. but
> still won't log them off.... Argh.. Novell had this
> feature years ago along with limiting the concurrent
> logins which 2000 doesen't support at all without some
> goofy resource kit add on.  Anyway does anyone know how to
> force users to log off after the login time has expired.
> The servers are ADS and the workstations are Windows XP.

> Thanks

1. "Automatically log off users when log on time expires

I haave a win2k network in native mode running AD, it is
basically a lab with fresh installs of win2k server and
win2k pro with the latest sp2 and all hotfixes

created a couple accounts that belong to the domain users
group with logon hours specified, all the rest is default
when the account was created

I defined for the default domain policy to "Automatically
log off users when log on time expires" set to enable.

When a user has surpassed the logon time they are not
automatically logged off, as I would expect.  If the user
log's off and tries to log back in,  the user is denied.
However it doesn't automatically log off users when the
logon time expires.  I remember this worked fine in NT.

2. qnx driver for a Phoenix S3 video board

3. automatically log off users when logon time expires

4. Personalities and saved passwords

5. Automatically log off users when logon time expires

6. Event ID 14120: Web Proxy error

7. Server does not automatically log off users when logon time expires

8. 100LX pc cable to sun?

9. automatically log off users when logon time expires

10. Automatically log off users when logon time expires dows not work

11. Forcing a user to log off when time expires?

12. Can't log off users when idle time expires??

13. user not log off when time expire