Backward Compatible?

Post by Justi » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Jean-Baptiste Faur » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Justin,

There's no reason for your computer not to be NT 4.0 backward compatible,
even if it's a very new model. Windows 2000 is now available in three
versions, ALL of them based on NT technology: Windows 2000 Professional
(preloaded with your Compaq), Windows 2000 Server, and Windows 2000 Advanced
Server. A fourth version, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server, will be released
in September.

Regards,
JBF

Quote:> I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
> require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
> very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
> I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
> might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
> compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
> because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
> class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
> even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
> Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
> over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
> from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
> If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
> Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
> up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Justi » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thank you so very much.  I'll remember your help and one day when I can
help others, I'll return to this board to do just that!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Mark Veldhui » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:> I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
> require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
> very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
> I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
> might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?

Hmm, strange. Maybe one of the hardware components is compatible with
Windows 2000, and not with NT4?
Microsoft has a Hardware Compatibility List for Windows 2000 on their
website, maybe there is also such a list for NT4. Might want to check that.

Quote:> If Windows 2000 isn't backward compatible

The fact whether NT4 will or will not run on your PC has nothing to do with
Windows 2000. NT4 is not an application you run under Windows 2000, it's an
Operating System. In fact, Windows 2000 is the successor of NT4. So it
depends on your hardware if NT4 wil run on it, it does not depend on Windows
2000.

Quote:> even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
> Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?

No. Windows 2000 = NT (NT5, the successor of NT4). There are a few different
versions of Windows 2000, but these are server versions. Most likely, you
need the Professional version (Which is the successor of NT4 Workstation).

i hope this helps (at least a bit).
--

Regards,

Mark Veldhuis
http://www.markveldhuis.com

Backward Compatible?

Post by Curtis D. Wilso » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Justin,
The problem they are talking about probably has to do with the NTFS. NT4 and W2K NTFS are different and MS does not recommend dual booting NT4 and W2K. Chapter 17 of the W2K Pro RK explains this in full. If you do not have access to the Res. kit  try this URL for more info.
http://windows.microsoft.com/windows2000/reskit/webresources

You might also consider a subscription to Microsoft TechNet. It will have all the resource kits and could prove to be helpful in your studies. The path to it is

Probably an inexpensive laptop with NT4 will be your best bet because I firmly believe the use of W2K is going to be of more importance than NT4. Especially with the route MS is taking on Certification.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Curtis

> I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
> require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
> very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
> I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
> might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
> compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
> because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
> class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
> even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
> Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
> over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
> from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
> If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
> Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
> up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Pete Mille » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Justin,
    I run a Windows 2000 Professional OS on my laptop and my Server at home
is NT4.0.  Connect JUST fine!  Don't do anything to your NEW laptop.

Regards,
--
James P. "Pete" Miller, MCSE

Computer Systems Engineer/Technical Administrator
Sweet's Group

Quote:

> I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
> require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
> very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
> I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
> might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
> compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
> because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
> class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
> even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
> Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
> over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
> from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
> If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
> Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
> up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Carl » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You might want to contact the school before doing anything - Win2K might be
acceptable even though they have NT listed as a requirement. It might not
have gotten updated to reflect the new OS.
Carl

| I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
| require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
| very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
| pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
| I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
| might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
| compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
| because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
| class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
| even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
| Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
| Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
| over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
| from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
| If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
| Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
| up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Curtis D. Wilso » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Pete,
Just so I wasn't misinterpreted we also have a NT4 server setup on our lan
with W2K Pro workstations without any problems. I was alluding to the fact
that a dual boot with the two is not advised by MS.
HTH
Curtis

> Justin,
>     I run a Windows 2000 Professional OS on my laptop and my Server at
home
> is NT4.0.  Connect JUST fine!  Don't do anything to your NEW laptop.

> Regards,
> --
> James P. "Pete" Miller, MCSE

> Computer Systems Engineer/Technical Administrator
> Sweet's Group

> > I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and they
> > require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq 1800T(a
> > very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> > pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.  However,
> > I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular computer
> > might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
> > compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
> > because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
> > class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
> > even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also said
> > Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> > Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already paid
> > over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
> > from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
> > If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
> > Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to be
> > up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Backward Compatible?

Post by Pete Mille » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Curtis,
    Believe it or not, at one time, on my laptop, I had the following OS'
loaded and FULLY funtional, networked were appropriate:

    MS-DOS 6.22
    NT4 Workstation
    NT4 Server SP5
    Win2K Professional (from Beta 2 on..)
    Win2K Server (from Beta 2 on..)
    Win2K Advanced Server (Beta 3 on..)

    My laptop served as a VERY useful device for some time..as I didn't want
to*around with my NT4 Server here at home (4 servers, 7 workstations).
The laptop is a PII - 266 with 192MB RAM, 14.1" TFT screen, 24x CD-ROM, 8GB
HDD, and a RealPort 10/100+56K PCMCIA Nic.

    Now that I've acquired a few more "boxes," I can afford to mess with
those, so now my laptop ONLY runs Win2K Pro, with Office2K Premium SR-1a, MS
Project, AutoCAD R14 & 2000, MS Visual Studio 6.0 Professional Edition and
Visio 5 Enterprise Edition.

Regards,
--
James P. "Pete" Miller, MCSE

Computer Systems Engineer/Technical Administrator
Sweet's Group

> Hi Pete,
> Just so I wasn't misinterpreted we also have a NT4 server setup on our lan
> with W2K Pro workstations without any problems. I was alluding to the fact
> that a dual boot with the two is not advised by MS.
> HTH
> Curtis

> > Justin,
> >     I run a Windows 2000 Professional OS on my laptop and my Server at
> home
> > is NT4.0.  Connect JUST fine!  Don't do anything to your NEW laptop.

> > Regards,
> > --
> > James P. "Pete" Miller, MCSE

> > Computer Systems Engineer/Technical Administrator
> > Sweet's Group

Quote:

> > > I will be entering college in the fall for computer programming and
they
> > > require NT 4.0.  I just unpacked my laptop for the fall, Compaq
1800T(a
> > > very new model) with 750Mhz/18HD/192RAM.  It came with Windows 2000
> > > pre-installed but they said it should be backward compatible.
However,
> > > I had to phone tech support today and they said this particular
computer
> > > might not run NT 4.0.  Any thoughts?  If Windows 2000 isn't backward
> > > compatible for what we're doing and this computer won't run NT 4.0
> > > because it's so new, maybe I'll just buy a used older model for this
> > > class?  They suggested I ship this model back and trade it in for an
> > > even more expensive model that would be sure to run NT.  They also
said
> > > Windows 2000 came in two versions, Windows 2000NT and Windows 2000
> > > Professional, but I don't think this is correct, do you?  I already
paid
> > > over $4,000 and I'm just a little leery when the information is coming
> > > from the seller who's interest is to sell me a more expensive product.
> > > If I'm going to send it back for full credit, I should do it soon.
> > > Again, I am sorry to burden with all these questions, I just want to
be
> > > up and running come the fall!  Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

1. Backward Compatible?

Hello Justin,

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Technical Support.

After reading your recent post to one of our Newsgroups, I have some
thoughts I would like to share with you on this current situation.

First, to determine if your laptop is compatible with different versions of
Windows operating systems, please visit the following link to our Hardware
Compatibility List.
http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp
As far as being backwards compatible with older versions of Windows
operating systems, the hcl will list all versions of Windows operating
systems that your computer has been fully tested and approved for.

Second, you mentioned that the Compaq Technical Support technician that you
spoke with mentioned two different versions of Windows 2000, let me explain
what he might have been talking about. There are indeed different versions
of Windows 2000, just as there was in Windows NT. In Windows 2000, there is
Professional, Server, Advanced Server and Data Center; those are the
different flavors of Windows 2000.

Hope this answers your questions, and, good luck this fall!

Thanks,
Mike Briggs
Microsoft Platforms Support
Windows 2000/NT

2. Distribution group

3. Hey! new netBook OS has been uploaded to Psion FTP site

4. xml on IE5

5. MSVCRT.dll ME Version backward compatible

6. Gemini 1.2 (where is it?)

7. win 2k backward compatability mode??? HOW

8. Backward Install Question?

9. Problems with win 2000 dns backward compaibility?

10. Backward compatibility 2000 - NT4

11. Backward Campatible?