Quickview for 2000??

Post by Dougla » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I am looking for a way to do a quickview on files... particularly dll files.
Windows 98 had the ability to right click on a file and choose quickview.
How can I do that with Windows 2000??

TIA,
Doug

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Ryan Helme » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You can find quickres.exe in the resource kit, but it's not on the Windows
2000 installation.

Quote:> I am looking for a way to do a quickview on files... particularly dll
files.
> Windows 98 had the ability to right click on a file and choose quickview.
> How can I do that with Windows 2000??

> TIA,
> Doug

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Adam D. Barrat » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

"Ryan Helmer" wrote ...

Quote:> You can find quickres.exe in the resource kit, but it's not on the Windows
> 2000 installation.

QuickRes != QuickView

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Milo Bloo » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quickview and Quickres are two completely different applications.  Quickview
is a "quick view" of the contents of a file," while Quickres is a tray icon
that allows you to instantly choose from a selection of pixel and bit depths
for your display and applies them immediately.

~Milo

Quote:> "Ryan Helmer" wrote ...
> > You can find quickres.exe in the resource kit, but it's not on the
Windows
> > 2000 installation.

> QuickRes != QuickView

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Adam D. Barrat » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

"Milo Bloom" wrote ...

Quote:> Quickview and Quickres are two completely different applications.
Quickview
> is a "quick view" of the contents of a file," while Quickres is a tray
icon
> that allows you to instantly choose from a selection of pixel and bit
depths
> for your display and applies them immediately.

I know that! :) Unfortunately, most of the replies to questions about
QuickView on this group seem to refer to QuickRes instead...

...we really need a properly-maintained FAQ for these groups - I seem to
spend half my time here answering the same questions four or five times a
day... :(

Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Milo Bloo » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I assume that in your world "!=" is does not equal?  I always thought that
was <> (logically speaking, is greater than or lesser than, therefore not
equal).  That's what I learndid in skool, and that's what was used way back
in the early eighties when I did some simple BASIC programming...Of course,
I haven't coded much, if at all, since, so things may have changed without
my knowledge...

~Milo

Quote:> "Milo Bloom" wrote ...
> > Quickview and Quickres are two completely different applications.
> Quickview
> > is a "quick view" of the contents of a file," while Quickres is a tray
> icon
> > that allows you to instantly choose from a selection of pixel and bit
> depths
> > for your display and applies them immediately.

> I know that! :) Unfortunately, most of the replies to questions about
> QuickView on this group seem to refer to QuickRes instead...

> ...we really need a properly-maintained FAQ for these groups - I seem to
> spend half my time here answering the same questions four or five times a
> day... :(

> Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Adam D. Barrat » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

"Milo Bloom" wrote ...

Quote:> I assume that in your world "!=" is does not equal?  I always thought that
> was <> (logically speaking, is greater than or lesser than, therefore not
> equal).  That's what I learndid in skool, and that's what was used way
back
> in the early eighties when I did some simple BASIC programming...Of
course,
> I haven't coded much, if at all, since, so things may have changed without
> my knowledge...

BASIC and Pascal use <>, C(++), Java, etc. use != - just as logical: ! is a
logical not, therefore != is 'is not equal to'...

Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Milo Bloo » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Gotcha.  Thx for the lesson.

~Milo

Quote:> "Milo Bloom" wrote ...
> > I assume that in your world "!=" is does not equal?  I always thought
that
> > was <> (logically speaking, is greater than or lesser than, therefore
not
> > equal).  That's what I learndid in skool, and that's what was used way
> back
> > in the early eighties when I did some simple BASIC programming...Of
> course,
> > I haven't coded much, if at all, since, so things may have changed
without
> > my knowledge...

> BASIC and Pascal use <>, C(++), Java, etc. use != - just as logical: ! is
> logical not, therefore != is 'is not equal to'...

> Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Dougla » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

yes yes... but I still need help with Quick View.  I want to view the
contents of a file in Windows 2000 without associating the file to a program
such as notepad.

I want to view dll files and exe files.

Quote:> "Milo Bloom" wrote ...
> > I assume that in your world "!=" is does not equal?  I always thought
that
> > was <> (logically speaking, is greater than or lesser than, therefore
not
> > equal).  That's what I learndid in skool, and that's what was used way
> back
> > in the early eighties when I did some simple BASIC programming...Of
> course,
> > I haven't coded much, if at all, since, so things may have changed
without
> > my knowledge...

> BASIC and Pascal use <>, C(++), Java, etc. use != - just as logical: ! is
> logical not, therefore != is 'is not equal to'...

> Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Adam D. Barrat » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

"Douglas" wrote ...

Quote:> yes yes... but I still need help with Quick View.  I want to view the
> contents of a file in Windows 2000 without associating the file to a
program
> such as notepad.

> I want to view dll files and exe files.

Microsoft used to license QuickView from Inso - they no longer do so. If you
want a copy of QuickView, you'll have to go and buy one from Inso.

hth hand

Adam

Quickview for 2000??

Post by Jon A. Johnse » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:41:44 +0200, "Adam D. Barratt"

>"Douglas" wrote ...
>> yes yes... but I still need help with Quick View.  I want to view the
>> contents of a file in Windows 2000 without associating the file to a
>program
>> such as notepad.

>> I want to view dll files and exe files.

>Microsoft used to license QuickView from Inso - they no longer do so. If you
>want a copy of QuickView, you'll have to go and buy one from Inso.

>hth hand

>Adam

        Or, if you use WordPerfect, QuckViewPlus 5.1 comes with WP9.

Quickview for 2000??

Post by joh » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Install the support tools from your CDROM, now put a shortcut to
"dependancy walker" in your send-to folder. You can send windows
code files (EXE, DLL, SYS, ...)to this program and see exactly what
it calls and what entry points it has along with this information:

        Module: Full path or file name for the module file.
        File Time Stamp: Date and time of the module file.
        Link Time Stamp: Date and time that the module was built.
        File Size: Size of the module file.
        Attr.: Attributes of the module file.
        Link Checksum: The module checksum from when the module was built.
        Real Checksum: The actual module checksum.
        CPU: Type of CPU that the module was built for.
        Subsystem: Type of subsystem that the module was built to run in.
        Symbols: Type of debugging symbols that are associated with it
        Preferred Base: The preferred base load address of the module.
        Actual Base: The actual base load address of the module.
        Virtual Size: The virtual size of the module.
        Load Order: The load order of the module with respect to other
                modules.
        File Ver: The file version found in the modules version resource.
        Product Ver: The product version found in the modules version
                resource.
        Image Ver: The image version found in the modules file header.
        Linker Ver: The version of the linker that was used to create it
        OS Ver: The version of the OS that the module file was built for
        Subsystem Ver: The version of the subsystem that the module file was
                built to run in.

Quote:>"Douglas" wrote ...