Can I delete C: Restore/Archived Items?

Post by Frank Martine » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:10:58

I run Norton's virus program that finds infected files in
the C:_Restore/Archive folder.  It cannot delete them and
they come up every time I do a virus scan.  Can I delete
any of the files myself by going to the folder?  I get the
impression this is just a storage area for files I need to
restore at some future date.  Can I delete them if I know
which ones they are, or can I delete everying in the file?
I have 55 infected files.  There seems to be thousands
there.  Windows 2000 Professional

Can I delete C: Restore/Archived Items?

Post by Pegasu » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:38:29

There is no system folder called c:\_Restore\Archive.
Some program other than Win2000, or some user,
placed it there. Rename the folder to see if anything
bad happens. If everything works OK, delete the renamed
folder.

Quote:> I run Norton's virus program that finds infected files in
> the C:_Restore/Archive folder.  It cannot delete them and
> they come up every time I do a virus scan.  Can I delete
> any of the files myself by going to the folder?  I get the
> impression this is just a storage area for files I need to
> restore at some future date.  Can I delete them if I know
> which ones they are, or can I delete everying in the file?
> I have 55 infected files.  There seems to be thousands
> there.  Windows 2000 Professional

Can I delete C: Restore/Archived Items?

Post by George Heste » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:20:09

He has that folder because he has another Operating System on the computer.
Likely Windows ME or maybe XP.  If he doesn't then it is likely a Norton
construct but I would go with the first explanation for it.  If he stopped
thr system restore in the other op sys the folder can be removed.  And even
if he doesn't.  But it will likely come back if not stopped at the source.

--
George Hester
______________________________

> There is no system folder called c:\_Restore\Archive.
> Some program other than Win2000, or some user,
> placed it there. Rename the folder to see if anything
> bad happens. If everything works OK, delete the renamed
> folder.

> > I run Norton's virus program that finds infected files in
> > the C:_Restore/Archive folder.  It cannot delete them and
> > they come up every time I do a virus scan.  Can I delete
> > any of the files myself by going to the folder?  I get the
> > impression this is just a storage area for files I need to
> > restore at some future date.  Can I delete them if I know
> > which ones they are, or can I delete everying in the file?
> > I have 55 infected files.  There seems to be thousands
> > there.  Windows 2000 Professional

1. Outlook Deleted items appearing in the Archive Delete bin

Anyone have this happen?
I emptied my Deleted items, the bun was definately empty
and then a couple of hours later when I was doing an
archive, once I had opened up the Archive folder I saw
that the bin, in the Archive had all the emails which I
had emptied in there. I checked to see the properties of
the regular Deleted items was correctly set ans itwas on
the "permanently delete" rather than move to archive. Can
any one tell me how they still wound uparchived?

2. Windows 2000 hangs when I right click on the start button

3. restore deleted items

4. What to buy?

5. How to delete items from New menu item?

6. -- **Sun Workstations**Monitors**Printers**copiers** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7. Outlook Express Not Setting Archive Bit on Sent Items?

8. GUSI_211 / CW Pro 5 Question

9. Delete items in a folder without deleting the folder...

10. How to properly delete archived service pack uninstall folder??

11. archiving and deleting old files

12. application for managing canned documents