DUN W2000, SLIP vs. PPP

Post by Paul A. Pae » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I have a user who is running 2000.  He was having trouble getting connected to
his ISP.  I found that using PPP on a NT 4.0 box could not connect either.  I
tried using SLIP and connected just fine with NT; however NT did force me to
choose an IP.  I went to the user and tried configuring SLIP for him on 2000, and
I was forced to pick an IP, I knew it would not be excepted through ISP's
Firewall, but I assigned one.  I was correct!  Can I connect with 2000 and not
use PPP?  Can I use SLIP and not assign IP?

DUN W2000, SLIP vs. PPP

Post by Amiri Jone » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

    Yes, you can connect and not use PPP.  Windows 2000 supports SLIP,
although only as a client; you can't dial into a Windows RAS/RRAS server
using SLIP.  One of the main advantages PPP has over SLIP is that it
supports the dynamic allocation of IP addresses.  With SLIP, you must
designate the address as part of the properties for the connection.  Another
advantage, although not relevant in this situation, is that PPP supports
protocols other than TCP/IP.  You could run IPX/SPX over a PPP connection,
for example.  You can't do that with SLIP; TCP/IP is your only choice there.
    For more details on using SLIP in Windows 2000, just open Windows Help
and select "SLIP, connections" from the Index tab.
===============

I have a user who is running 2000.  He was having trouble getting connected
his ISP.  I found that using PPP on a NT 4.0 box could not connect either.
tried using SLIP and connected just fine with NT; however NT did force me to
choose an IP.  I went to the user and tried configuring SLIP for him on
2000, and
I was forced to pick an IP, I knew it would not be excepted through ISP's
Firewall, but I assigned one.  I was correct!  Can I connect with 2000 and
not
use PPP?  Can I use SLIP and not assign IP?

1. Getting Server type SLIP instead of PPP

Dear All,

I have configured a RRAS in Win2k server. It has a
loopback adapter. I configured RAS as advanced type. When
I am trying to connect using dial-up it is connecting but
if you see in the connection details it is connected as
Server type as SLIP instead of PPP, so I am not able to
browser the server using Terminal client.

I don't know whether i made a mistake, but in settings
everything is seems to be fine.

Can someone please help me to figure out this....

Thanks
sathish

2. Speak Freely

3. How can i remove the Wan Interface (PPP/SLIP)?

4. MicroSoft buys WebTV for $425 million. Is Bill Gates ins

5. W2k-Dial up & slip/PPP

6. Lotus Notes contracts in New Zealand and Australia

7. Bizarre DNS Problem w/ PPP AND Weird problem - no DNS during DUN session

8. Logon to domain or locally?

9. DUN: PPP and Compression

10. Multilink PPP and Fragmentation with DUN

11. DUN PPP adapter picking up wrong subnet mask

12. Win2K, DUN, Error 720 Negotiating PPP

13. PPP server for W2000