There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by David LaRocqu » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 13:12:21

I've looked through MS KB and this entire newsgroup, and haven't found the
answer yet, as far as I can tell.

I'm running a home network with a W2K Server and a W2k Pro client. TCP/IP is
working great, get Internet through my DSL, can ping, etc. However, I can't
access share files or printers. Both machines have Microsoft Client,
File/Print Sharing, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP installed.

The catch is that the client is my laptop from work, which is part of my W2k
domain there. I'm not running a domain at home, just a workgroup, but the
work domain must be interfering somehow. If I dial the notebook into the
office while connected to my home LAN, eventually I can browse around, but
when I disconnect I can't browse the server anymore.

I used to be able to browse the server just fine when it was NT4, and the
notebook configured the same way. This shouldn't be this hard, I would think
. . .

Happy Holidays!

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by Andrew Thompso » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:02:46

The Win2K security stops you doing this. The laptop is part of the work
domain therefore it is most probably part of the group policy there,
therefore it cant co exist in another network even if it is just a work
group.

What you can do is add a second gateway to the laptop, use the IP of the
server for the gateway the  use the net use command to map the shared drives
or printers.

Happy Xmas

Andrew Thompson
TT Networks - System Administrator

Quote:> I've looked through MS KB and this entire newsgroup, and haven't found the
> answer yet, as far as I can tell.

> I'm running a home network with a W2K Server and a W2k Pro client. TCP/IP
is
> working great, get Internet through my DSL, can ping, etc. However, I
can't
> access share files or printers. Both machines have Microsoft Client,
> File/Print Sharing, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP installed.

> The catch is that the client is my laptop from work, which is part of my
W2k
> domain there. I'm not running a domain at home, just a workgroup, but the
> work domain must be interfering somehow. If I dial the notebook into the
> office while connected to my home LAN, eventually I can browse around, but
> when I disconnect I can't browse the server anymore.

> I used to be able to browse the server just fine when it was NT4, and the
> notebook configured the same way. This shouldn't be this hard, I would
think
> . . .

> Happy Holidays!

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by David LaRocqu » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 14:43:01

Yes, that's what I thought was happening.

However, the laptop already has the server as the gateway, which is how I
get internet.

I can't net view, map drive, browse, net use, etc.

I'm part of my IT group at work, but not the guy that does the NT policies.
Is that something NT has flexibility to allow - there are just three of us,
and I'm sure my colleague can accomodate me if it's possible. I've let him
know about my networking problems, and he doesn't have any insights, but if
you could point me / us in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

> The Win2K security stops you doing this. The laptop is part of the work
> domain therefore it is most probably part of the group policy there,
> therefore it cant co exist in another network even if it is just a work
> group.

> What you can do is add a second gateway to the laptop, use the IP of the
> server for the gateway the  use the net use command to map the shared
drives
> or printers.

> Happy Xmas

> Andrew Thompson
> TT Networks - System Administrator

> > I've looked through MS KB and this entire newsgroup, and haven't found
the
> > answer yet, as far as I can tell.

> > I'm running a home network with a W2K Server and a W2k Pro client.
TCP/IP
> is
> > working great, get Internet through my DSL, can ping, etc. However, I
> can't
> > access share files or printers. Both machines have Microsoft Client,
> > File/Print Sharing, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP installed.

> > The catch is that the client is my laptop from work, which is part of my
> W2k
> > domain there. I'm not running a domain at home, just a workgroup, but
the
> > work domain must be interfering somehow. If I dial the notebook into the
> > office while connected to my home LAN, eventually I can browse around,
but
> > when I disconnect I can't browse the server anymore.

> > I used to be able to browse the server just fine when it was NT4, and
the
> > notebook configured the same way. This shouldn't be this hard, I would
> think
> > . . .

> > Happy Holidays!

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by Andrew Thompso » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:47:17

No it is just part of the win2k design that once in a domain it cant easily
join another domain or workgroup. Maybe you could try a program called net
switcher which sort of allows 2 or more network connections. it was the same
in NT Workstation.

The only real way around it is to downgrade to winme or 98 as they can
support multiple domains as they arent really designed to be in networks
anyway.

--
Andrew Thompson
TT Networks - System Administrator

> Yes, that's what I thought was happening.

> However, the laptop already has the server as the gateway, which is how I
> get internet.

> I can't net view, map drive, browse, net use, etc.

> I'm part of my IT group at work, but not the guy that does the NT
policies.
> Is that something NT has flexibility to allow - there are just three of
us,
> and I'm sure my colleague can accomodate me if it's possible. I've let him
> know about my networking problems, and he doesn't have any insights, but
if
> you could point me / us in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

> > The Win2K security stops you doing this. The laptop is part of the work
> > domain therefore it is most probably part of the group policy there,
> > therefore it cant co exist in another network even if it is just a work
> > group.

> > What you can do is add a second gateway to the laptop, use the IP of the
> > server for the gateway the  use the net use command to map the shared
> drives
> > or printers.

> > Happy Xmas

> > Andrew Thompson
> > TT Networks - System Administrator

> > > I've looked through MS KB and this entire newsgroup, and haven't found
> the
> > > answer yet, as far as I can tell.

> > > I'm running a home network with a W2K Server and a W2k Pro client.
> TCP/IP
> > is
> > > working great, get Internet through my DSL, can ping, etc. However, I
> > can't
> > > access share files or printers. Both machines have Microsoft Client,
> > > File/Print Sharing, NetBEUI, and TCP/IP installed.

> > > The catch is that the client is my laptop from work, which is part of
my
> > W2k
> > > domain there. I'm not running a domain at home, just a workgroup, but
> the
> > > work domain must be interfering somehow. If I dial the notebook into
the
> > > office while connected to my home LAN, eventually I can browse around,
> but
> > > when I disconnect I can't browse the server anymore.

> > > I used to be able to browse the server just fine when it was NT4, and
> the
> > > notebook configured the same way. This shouldn't be this hard, I would
> > think
> > > . . .

> > > Happy Holidays!

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by David LaRocqu » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:30:54

Well, for the benefit of anybody else who runs into this, here is the best
workaround I could come up with.

I used W2K's User Profiles manager to copy the work profile into a separate
folder. I then created a local computer user, and pointed its profile to
that copy. I did the same in the properties for my work account. The local
user had no problem connecting to the network as I need, and the profile
trick keeps everything in synch.

Downgrading isn't really an option - are you kidding!?

> No it is just part of the win2k design that once in a domain it cant
easily
> join another domain or workgroup. Maybe you could try a program called net
> switcher which sort of allows 2 or more network connections. it was the
same
> in NT Workstation.

> The only real way around it is to downgrade to winme or 98 as they can
> support multiple domains as they arent really designed to be in networks
> anyway.

> --
> Andrew Thompson
> TT Networks - System Administrator

> > Yes, that's what I thought was happening.

> > However, the laptop already has the server as the gateway, which is how
> > get internet.

> > I can't net view, map drive, browse, net use, etc.

> > I'm part of my IT group at work, but not the guy that does the NT
> policies.
> > Is that something NT has flexibility to allow - there are just three of
> us,
> > and I'm sure my colleague can accomodate me if it's possible. I've let
him
> > know about my networking problems, and he doesn't have any insights, but
> if
> > you could point me / us in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

> > > The Win2K security stops you doing this. The laptop is part of the
work
> > > domain therefore it is most probably part of the group policy there,
> > > therefore it cant co exist in another network even if it is just a
work
> > > group.

> > > What you can do is add a second gateway to the laptop, use the IP of
the
> > > server for the gateway the  use the net use command to map the shared
> > drives
> > > or printers.

> > > Happy Xmas

> > > Andrew Thompson
> > > TT Networks - System Administrator

> > the

> > TCP/IP
> > > is
> > > can't

> my
> > > W2k
> > the
> the
> > but

> > the
> > > think

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Post by Andrew Thompso » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:31:48

Sorry, Microsoft designed the product to work like that. Theres nothing
really you can do about it.

--
Andrew Thompson
TT Networks - System Administrator

> Well, for the benefit of anybody else who runs into this, here is the best
> workaround I could come up with.

> I used W2K's User Profiles manager to copy the work profile into a
separate
> folder. I then created a local computer user, and pointed its profile to
> that copy. I did the same in the properties for my work account. The local
> user had no problem connecting to the network as I need, and the profile
> trick keeps everything in synch.

> Downgrading isn't really an option - are you kidding!?

> > No it is just part of the win2k design that once in a domain it cant
> easily
> > join another domain or workgroup. Maybe you could try a program called
net
> > switcher which sort of allows 2 or more network connections. it was the
> same
> > in NT Workstation.

> > The only real way around it is to downgrade to winme or 98 as they can
> > support multiple domains as they arent really designed to be in networks
> > anyway.

> > --
> > Andrew Thompson
> > TT Networks - System Administrator

> > > Yes, that's what I thought was happening.

> > > However, the laptop already has the server as the gateway, which is
how
> > > get internet.

> > > I can't net view, map drive, browse, net use, etc.

> > > I'm part of my IT group at work, but not the guy that does the NT
> > policies.
> > > Is that something NT has flexibility to allow - there are just three
of
> > us,
> > > and I'm sure my colleague can accomodate me if it's possible. I've let
> him
> > > know about my networking problems, and he doesn't have any insights,
but
> > if
> > > you could point me / us in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

> work
> work

> the
> > > drives

> found
> > > the

> > > TCP/IP
However,
Client,

> of
> > my
> but
> > > the
> > the
> around,
> > > but

> and
> > > the
> would

1. There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

O.K.

Here is the setup:

I have a Win NT 4 domain setup and running with a DNS Server and a WINS
Server
I have a Win2K domain setup with DDNS

After remembering the /registerdns on the AD Server, we were able to create
a trust between the NT 4 domain and the Win2K domain.  To create the trust I
added an LMHOSTS file on a Win2K pro workstation (that is in the Win2K
domain) with the #DOM tag for the NT 4 domain.

From the Win2K pro workstation I can logon to either domain (NT 4 or Win2K).
When logged on to the NT 4 domain I can resolve the IPs of the servers in
the Win2K domain and vise-versa.

THE PROBLEM:

When I try to administer a server in the opposite domain, I get the error:

    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request.

I have tried adding the Win2K domain name entry in the WINS database, but
still no luck.

Is there a solution available to this problem?

Mark German

2. Setting up DNS for local and internet users ????

3. WTB: Tombstone City and Hunt the Wumpus Carts

4. There are currently no no logon servers available to service the logon request

5. Fwd: Need Help

6. "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

7. dirty rotten "runts"

8. "there are currently no logon servers available to service your logon request"

9. There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

10. Help: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

11. There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request