f8 advanced options

Post by Pete » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 02:24:44

When Win 2000 starts it has an option for F8 which is for advanced options, the
customer either wants the option taken out or hidden.

1. Is this possible and how ?
2. Is it advisable or not ?

Any help in this matter will be most helpful

THank you in advance

Pete

f8 advanced options

Post by Eric » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:18:59

Don't know about possible, but I certainly would advise against it--what if
your system develops a problem and you need to boot VGA mode or safe mode to
fix it?

When Win 2000 starts it has an option for F8 which is for advanced options,
the
customer either wants the option taken out or hidden.

1. Is this possible and how ?
2. Is it advisable or not ?

Any help in this matter will be most helpful

THank you in advance

Pete

f8 advanced options

Post by Adam W. Diethric » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:21:16

Besides the obvious need stated, why would anyone want to? The saved time in
boot up doesn't amont to muchmore that about 5-10 seconds anyway...

A.W.D.

--
Adam W. Diethrich
Design & Development

N2 DYNAMICS
http://www.n2dynamics.com

1. F8 Advanced Options Boot Menu missing

I had a couple of hours of frustration with this, so upon discovering
the solution I thought I'd share it (or this example of my stupidity)
with the world.

I changed video cards in a relatively new P4-based system, from a
Matrox G400 to an MSI G4MX440 (Nvidia) card. I rebooted W2K and
noticed that the boot progress bar one normally sees at the bottom of
the screen (where pressing F8 to access the Advanced Options Boot Menu
is offered so you can access Safe Mode among other boot options) was
near the top of the screen, but for some reason I did not key in on
that difference. I wanted to go into Safe Mode so I pressed F8.  The
screen went blank.

I'll spare you the ridiculous lengths I went to to figure out what was
wrong, except to say that as part of my troubleshooting I tried
booting from a W98 boot floppy.  All I got was a blank screen, until I
happened to type DIR, whereupon I saw some text appear at the very top
of my screen.

This lead me to discovering the cause of the problem.  I use an LCD
monitor.  Apparently something about the timing of the Nvidia card was
so different from the Matrox -- and my LCD had been "Auto-Adjusted"
for the Matrox -- that I was only seeing the last 3 lines of any DOS
screen at the very top of my LCD monitor. Thus the F8 Advanced Options
Screen or a boot into old-fashioned DOS would not appear at all on the
LCD screen!

I used the NEC LCD monitor's Auto-Adjust function to configure the LCD
to the new Nvidia card and suddenly the DOS screen dropped down and
filled the LCD's screen. Case closed.  But I sure was surprised about
this. Hope I spare someone else from this time-wasting gotcha.

2. Vote for the best game and rate how good is the game!!

3. F8 Advanced Menu Option

4. PC for autocad

5. Disabling "Hit F8 for advanced menu options".....on bootup

6. USR Modem "hangs" after short time on-line

7. Disabling the F8 Selection, Advanced Menu Option

8. Super Tennis Champs

9. No "New" Option & No Advanced Box for Folder Options??

10. Press F8 For Advanced Features

11. Disable F8 - Advanced blah blah blah

12. Startup Options Press F8 missing.

13. hangs after 'press f8 for adanced startup options' screen