How to make a Recovery Console bootable CD ?

How to make a Recovery Console bootable CD ?

Post by Guillaume Tamisie » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:44:15

I'm trying to make a Recovery Console bootable CD, ie a
bootable CD which loads the Recovery Console at startup.
I know that the Windows CD is bootable and that I can
start the Recovery Console with it, and that I can
install it on my hard disk, but I'm trying to make a
bootable El Torito CD with several OS with emergency
tools : an msdos one, a linux one and I'd like to add an
image which contains the Recovery Console. It's usefull
when you move between several machines, you just need one
CD with all your tools to repair potential problems.

First, take the case of an msdos image. To do that, you
just have to create an bootable msdos floppy with the
required drivers to mount your CD drive on a letter (in
config.sys and autoexec.bat). You can put the rest of
your tools "directly" on the CD. Then you create an image
of your floppy, and you burn your El Torito CD with your
tools and a floppy emulation option which "replaces" the
floppy drive by your image at startup. During the boot,
config.sys and autoexec.bat load the required drivers,
and after the load of MSCDEX, you can access the rest of
your tools directly on the CD.

I'd like to do such a thing with the Recovery Console of
Windows 2000/XP. So I need an image which contains NTLDR,
NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI, all the files which are in the
cmdcons folder and the NT bootsector. But in that case,
the problem is that all that files exceeds 1.44MB and
2.88MB, so I can't use a floppy emulation. So how can I
do ?
Is it possible to make a bootable floppy with only NTLDR,
NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI, and to specify in boot.ini to
load the required files directly on the CD ? But how can
I "say" in boot.ini that the files are on the CD. For
example, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) corresponds
to the first partition of the first hard disk. So what
corresponds to the CD drives?

Or do you know another method to make such a bootable CD ?

Thanks

How to make a Recovery Console bootable CD ?

Post by shockwaveriderz-MV » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:24:37

there are 3 types of cdrom boot emulation:
1. floppy emulation
2. disk emulation
3. no emulation
nt/win2k/xp use #3....but perhaps you copy the cmdcons folder contents as  disk emulation and also copy the  the ntldr,ntdect.com
and boot.ini to this disk emulation ....you could then use the arc path to point to the disk image on the cdrom perhaps.....the
cdrom would boot as if it was a removable disk in this case....i've been tempted to try it but just haven't gotten around to
it......if you make any progress I would be willing to help you out if need be....let us all know as a RC only bootable cd would be
a cool addition to a persons disaster recovery toolkit.....

--
MS MVP   2002
NT4 MVP 1999-2000

> I'm trying to make a Recovery Console bootable CD, ie a
> bootable CD which loads the Recovery Console at startup.
> I know that the Windows CD is bootable and that I can
> start the Recovery Console with it, and that I can
> install it on my hard disk, but I'm trying to make a
> bootable El Torito CD with several OS with emergency
> tools : an msdos one, a linux one and I'd like to add an
> image which contains the Recovery Console. It's usefull
> when you move between several machines, you just need one
> CD with all your tools to repair potential problems.

> First, take the case of an msdos image. To do that, you
> just have to create an bootable msdos floppy with the
> required drivers to mount your CD drive on a letter (in
> config.sys and autoexec.bat). You can put the rest of
> your tools "directly" on the CD. Then you create an image
> of your floppy, and you burn your El Torito CD with your
> tools and a floppy emulation option which "replaces" the
> floppy drive by your image at startup. During the boot,
> config.sys and autoexec.bat load the required drivers,
> and after the load of MSCDEX, you can access the rest of
> your tools directly on the CD.

> I'd like to do such a thing with the Recovery Console of
> Windows 2000/XP. So I need an image which contains NTLDR,
> NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI, all the files which are in the
> cmdcons folder and the NT bootsector. But in that case,
> the problem is that all that files exceeds 1.44MB and
> 2.88MB, so I can't use a floppy emulation. So how can I
> do ?
> Is it possible to make a bootable floppy with only NTLDR,
> NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI, and to specify in boot.ini to
> load the required files directly on the CD ? But how can
> I "say" in boot.ini that the files are on the CD. For
> example, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) corresponds
> to the first partition of the first hard disk. So what
> corresponds to the CD drives?

> Or do you know another method to make such a bootable CD ?

> Thanks

How to make a Recovery Console bootable CD ?

Post by Guillaume Tamisie » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:52:33

The only method I know for harddisk emulation is to have
a less 650 MB harddrive. This doesn't work with a less
650MB partition, you must have such a harddisk and it's
difficult to find now...
And what is an arc path ?
Thanks.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>there are 3 types of cdrom boot emulation:
>1. floppy emulation
>2. disk emulation
>3. no emulation
>nt/win2k/xp use #3....but perhaps you copy the cmdcons

folder contents as  disk emulation and also copy the  the
ntldr,ntdect.com
Quote:>and boot.ini to this disk emulation ....you could then

use the arc path to point to the disk image on the cdrom
perhaps.....the
Quote:>cdrom would boot as if it was a removable disk in this

case....i've been tempted to try it but just haven't
gotten around to
Quote:>it......if you make any progress I would be willing to

help you out if need be....let us all know as a RC only
bootable cd would be
>a cool addition to a persons disaster recovery
toolkit.....

>--
>MS MVP   2002
>NT4 MVP 1999-2000

Quote:>> I'm trying to make a Recovery Console bootable CD, ie a