Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by K-8 » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:41:23

Hi!Guys:
    I want to know how I can write a program in VC/VB to creat/delete a user
account and edit the properties of an account in WinNT/Win2000(including in
AD).
    The 2nd question is : I think it is possible to check the user
activities using the information in event log .But how?

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by Kallely Saja » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:05:59

Probably your question is too opened. But my suggestion is to use the ADSI
to manage the user accounts. Just use the WinNT://, and your life will be a
whole lot easier. Working with the down level APIs is surely a night mare.

You can enable logging in the system, logging different actions, such as
registry and file access. You might be able to tie this up to the different
user poilicies as well.

Regards,
Sajan.

> Hi!Guys:
>     I want to know how I can write a program in VC/VB to creat/delete a
user
> account and edit the properties of an account in WinNT/Win2000(including
in
> AD).
>     The 2nd question is : I think it is possible to check the user
> activities using the information in event log .But how?

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by Jimmy Andersso » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:52:57

I suggest that you use ADSI, see these URLs for tips:
http://www.adminscripts.net/pages/main.het
http://cwashington.netreach.net/
http://members.aol.com/rick3in1/computer/batch.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/

If you want to audit User action you need to configure auditing, it's not
enabled by default.

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice
Microsoft MVP Windows NT/2000

> Hi!Guys:
>     I want to know how I can write a program in VC/VB to creat/delete a
user
> account and edit the properties of an account in WinNT/Win2000(including
in
> AD).
>     The 2nd question is : I think it is possible to check the user
> activities using the information in event log .But how?

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by K-8 » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:02:42

Hello,friends:
Thanks for your help.
I really need to write a application(*.exe) to manage the user accounts, not
the scripts. But I am not sure if the win32 API is the only method.
About the 2nd question,I have enable the audit. I just want to use
information from the log in my application to analyze the user actions.What
is the format of event log?

Best Regards

Quote:> Hi!Guys:
>     I want to know how I can write a program in VC/VB to creat/delete a
user
> account and edit the properties of an account in WinNT/Win2000(including
in
> AD).
>     The 2nd question is : I think it is possible to check the user
> activities using the information in event log .But how?

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by Kallely Saja » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:01:38

It doesn't matter if you use scripting or not, you can still use ADSI. ADSI
provides plain automation interfaces(IADs), and so you can use VC/VB/script
to do whatever you want.

Use APIs such as OpenEventLog(), ReadEventLog(), etc to work with th event
log.

Regards,
Sajan.

> Hello,friends:
> Thanks for your help.
> I really need to write a application(*.exe) to manage the user accounts,
not
> the scripts. But I am not sure if the win32 API is the only method.
> About the 2nd question,I have enable the audit. I just want to use
> information from the log in my application to analyze the user
actions.What
> is the format of event log?

> Best Regards

> > Hi!Guys:
> >     I want to know how I can write a program in VC/VB to creat/delete a
> user
> > account and edit the properties of an account in WinNT/Win2000(including
> in
> > AD).
> >     The 2nd question is : I think it is possible to check the user
> > activities using the information in event log .But how?

Can I program to manage the user accounts in NT/Win2000

Post by K-8 » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 00:49:47

Thank you,Sajan.
That's a good idea.I will have a try.
Regards