WinLogon Key Deleted from Registry

Post by Jackie Mille » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:59:27

Somehow, my WinLogon Key was deleted from my registry and now I cannot get
into Windows 2000.  I tried to reinstall but my laptop does not have both
the floppy and CDROM installed at the same time--it keeps looking for my
cdrom drive and it is not there.  My drives are formatted with NTFS so I
cannot boot with a Windows 98 startup disk.

Does anyone know what I can do at this point that doesn't require losing
everything on my hard drive?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jackie

WinLogon Key Deleted from Registry

Post by Jayce » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:03:05

You need to install the recovery console and restore rename the software.sav
file to software.
STEPS
install the recovery console from cd boot
winnt32 /cmdcons
reboot
 select recovery console
login as administrator
if you have done backup of your registry (used to be RDISK in NT don't know
what it is now)
copy registry file software from c:\winnt\repair to
c:\winnt\system32\config\                 (make backup copy first eg rename
software to software.bak)
copy %systemroot%\repair\software %systemroot%\system32\config\software

the machine should now boot.
When the machine boots you can use regedt32.exe  to load your original
software.bak hive and findout what happened to winlogon key .
If you can fix it you then save it and retrace the previous steps to restore
the original.

This happened to me when I was trying to control access to the winlogon key
to stop users seeing the autoadmin logon password    doh!.
Hope this helps

JC

Quote:> Somehow, my WinLogon Key was deleted from my registry and now I cannot get
> into Windows 2000.  I tried to reinstall but my laptop does not have both
> the floppy and CDROM installed at the same time--it keeps looking for my
> cdrom drive and it is not there.  My drives are formatted with NTFS so I
> cannot boot with a Windows 98 startup disk.

> Does anyone know what I can do at this point that doesn't require losing
> everything on my hard drive?

> Please let me know.

> Thanks,

> Jackie

WinLogon Key Deleted from Registry

Post by Gary Do » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 21:52:37

If your laptop will not boot to CD, you can do the same from the install
floppies.  And you don't actually need to *install* the recovery console,
you can just run it from the CD/floppy boot.

Gary

> You need to install the recovery console and restore rename the
software.sav
> file to software.
> STEPS
> install the recovery console from cd boot
> winnt32 /cmdcons
> reboot
>  select recovery console
> login as administrator
> if you have done backup of your registry (used to be RDISK in NT don't
know
> what it is now)
> copy registry file software from c:\winnt\repair to
> c:\winnt\system32\config\                 (make backup copy first eg
rename
> software to software.bak)
> copy %systemroot%\repair\software %systemroot%\system32\config\software

> the machine should now boot.
> When the machine boots you can use regedt32.exe  to load your original
> software.bak hive and findout what happened to winlogon key .
> If you can fix it you then save it and retrace the previous steps to
restore
> the original.

> This happened to me when I was trying to control access to the winlogon
key
> to stop users seeing the autoadmin logon password    doh!.
> Hope this helps

> JC

> > Somehow, my WinLogon Key was deleted from my registry and now I cannot
get
> > into Windows 2000.  I tried to reinstall but my laptop does not have
both
> > the floppy and CDROM installed at the same time--it keeps looking for my
> > cdrom drive and it is not there.  My drives are formatted with NTFS so I
> > cannot boot with a Windows 98 startup disk.

> > Does anyone know what I can do at this point that doesn't require losing
> > everything on my hard drive?

> > Please let me know.

> > Thanks,

> > Jackie

1. WinLogon Key Deleted from Registry

Somehow, my WinLogon Key was deleted from my registry and now I cannot get
into Windows 2000.  I tried to reinstall but my laptop does not have both
the floppy and CDROM installed at the same time--it keeps looking for my
cdrom drive and it is not there.  My drives are formatted with NTFS so I
cannot boot with a Windows 98 startup disk.

Does anyone know what I can do at this point that doesn't require losing
everything on my hard drive?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jackie

2. Can U hear me?

3. Programmierer für 68332 gesucht

4. Deleting Key with *.reg / Deleting Keys including Subkeys with a *.reg - file

5. SAX2 driver class org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser not found

6. Which registry key to enable Screen Saver and Background for Windows 2000?, pcumming screensaver registry key

7. New Courier V.90 update allows me to connect at x2 speeds

8. delete registry key on win2000

9. Can I just delete this NTFRS registry key?

10. Please help: Can not delete registry key when using regedit

11. Can't add or delete at a particular registry key

12. deleting registry keys