Changing drive letter of CD ROM drives.

Post by JM » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

In WIN9x you could go into device manager and assign a different drive
letter to the CD drive.

Can this be done with win2000?

Changing drive letter of CD ROM drives.

Post by William Field » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Yes, just right-click on MyComputer, select "manage". Then select the disk
management item in the left pane and set the properties of the CD drives
however you want.

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

"While the Complexity of this Project is
several orders of magnitude less than
modeling heat flux in a fossil-fuel fired
electric utility plant using the Hottel Zone
technique, the context of each project
evolves in a remarkably similar fashion."
- Author Unknown

Quote:> In WIN9x you could go into device manager and assign a different drive
> letter to the CD drive.

> Can this be done with win2000?

1. App requires CD-ROM to run, but CD-ROM drive letter changed

Most games require the CD-ROM to be in the drive when the game runs.  When I
installed my games, the CD-ROM was drive E:.  I added a drive to my system
and now the CD-ROM is drive F:.  The registry entry for the game still
thinks the CD-ROM is drive E:, and when it can't find the CD-ROM on drive
E:, it refuses to run the game.  Obviously reinstalling the game with the
new drive letter name would work but I'd prefer to go into the registry and
manually change the drive letter.  Is that particular location in the
registry the same for all apps?  Does anyone know where to find this
registry entry?  It would be nice if it was a single Windows registry entry
that installed apps refer to, rather than creating one of their own.  Any
help appreciated.

Neal

2. Read Receipt

3. Changing drive letter assigned to CD Rom drive

4. Autocad LT?

5. How to change the CD ROM and CD-RW to Y drive Z Drive

6. Puzzle-WIN95 PPP slows, stops, then resumes -why???

7. Assign new drive letter to CD-Rom Drive

8. CAPTIONs of windows

9. zip drive and CD-rom drive letters

10. My Zip drive & CD-ROM are fighting on a drive letter..!!?!!

11. CD Rom drive letter change

12. How to Change CD-Rom's Drive Letter?

13. Change CD-ROM Drive Letter