Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From System ?

Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From System ?

Post by George Hit » Wed, 28 May 2003 22:55:30



I am experiencing the dreaded "not accessible, incorrect function"
problem after trying to change drive letters.  I have read many
(nearly 100 ?) usenet articles with folks having the same problem
although most are just the base article with no responses and
those with responses are not working for me when I try the
suggestions.

My question - how do I clean out my W2K machine so that it
never knew a CD-RW was ever present?  It happens to be
an HP CD-Writer+ 9100 that WAS working but now gets the
error message above.

If I do a seach through the registry, even after uninstalling the
drive, I see many "cd-writer+" entries.  If I delete these, will my
machine be * again relative to this drive?  Anyting else I should
do or know?

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From System ?

Post by Scott Burto » Thu, 29 May 2003 05:06:54


Have you tried even the simplest method of booting to
Windows 2000 Safe Mode, going to the device manager (right
click "My Computer" Select "Properties" then
the "Hardware" tab and clicking the "Device Manager"
button) then deleting the CD-ROM/-R/-RW drives listed
there?

I know it's simple, but sometimes it gets overlooked.  
Occassionally it can even be effective.

Otherwise, I'm not sure on this one.  It's a little out of
my experience.

--Scott

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>I am experiencing the dreaded "not accessible, incorrect
function"
>problem after trying to change drive letters.  I have
read many
>(nearly 100 ?) usenet articles with folks having the same
problem
>although most are just the base article with no responses
and
>those with responses are not working for me when I try the
>suggestions.

>My question - how do I clean out my W2K machine so that it
>never knew a CD-RW was ever present?  It happens to be
>an HP CD-Writer+ 9100 that WAS working but now gets the
>error message above.

>If I do a seach through the registry, even after
uninstalling the
>drive, I see many "cd-writer+" entries.  If I delete
these, will my
>machine be * again relative to this drive?  Anyting
else I should
>do or know?

>Thanks in advance.
>.


 
 
 

Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From System ?

Post by George Hit » Thu, 29 May 2003 06:07:46


Yes, I did that although not from safe mode...I'll try it.

Thanks.

On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:06:54 -0700, "Scott Burton"


>Have you tried even the simplest method of booting to
>Windows 2000 Safe Mode, going to the device manager (right
>click "My Computer" Select "Properties" then
>the "Hardware" tab and clicking the "Device Manager"
>button) then deleting the CD-ROM/-R/-RW drives listed
>there?

>I know it's simple, but sometimes it gets overlooked.  
>Occassionally it can even be effective.

>Otherwise, I'm not sure on this one.  It's a little out of
>my experience.

>--Scott

>>-----Original Message-----

>>I am experiencing the dreaded "not accessible, incorrect
>function"
>>problem after trying to change drive letters.  I have
>read many
>>(nearly 100 ?) usenet articles with folks having the same
>problem
>>although most are just the base article with no responses
>and
>>those with responses are not working for me when I try the
>>suggestions.

>>My question - how do I clean out my W2K machine so that it
>>never knew a CD-RW was ever present?  It happens to be
>>an HP CD-Writer+ 9100 that WAS working but now gets the
>>error message above.

>>If I do a seach through the registry, even after
>uninstalling the
>>drive, I see many "cd-writer+" entries.  If I delete
>these, will my
>>machine be * again relative to this drive?  Anyting
>else I should
>>do or know?

>>Thanks in advance.
>>.

 
 
 

Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From System ?

Post by George Hit » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:26:30


        To close out this thread ... and not leave it blank like
        tens of others ...

        Turns out the culprit was a combination of both Easy CD
        Creator AND Windows Media Player v7.  Yes, WMT v7.

        I went to roxio.com hoping to find some hints on the
        problem and I found a thread on removing Easy CD
        Creator AND then Windows Media Player v7 and then
        reinstalling Easy CD Creator.  Seems there is a file in
        WMT v7 that is used by Easy CD Creator but early versions
        (or something like that) were prone to buginess.
        For futher detail and complete understanding go to
        roxio.com.

        I can't believe the grief this jewel of problem created for
        me but I am now happy it is solved.

        George


>Yes, I did that although not from safe mode...I'll try it.

>Thanks.

>On Tue, 27 May 2003 13:06:54 -0700, "Scott Burton"

>>Have you tried even the simplest method of booting to
>>Windows 2000 Safe Mode, going to the device manager (right
>>click "My Computer" Select "Properties" then
>>the "Hardware" tab and clicking the "Device Manager"
>>button) then deleting the CD-ROM/-R/-RW drives listed
>>there?

>>I know it's simple, but sometimes it gets overlooked.  
>>Occassionally it can even be effective.

>>Otherwise, I'm not sure on this one.  It's a little out of
>>my experience.

>>--Scott

>>>-----Original Message-----

>>>I am experiencing the dreaded "not accessible, incorrect
>>function"
>>>problem after trying to change drive letters.  I have
>>read many
>>>(nearly 100 ?) usenet articles with folks having the same
>>problem
>>>although most are just the base article with no responses
>>and
>>>those with responses are not working for me when I try the
>>>suggestions.

>>>My question - how do I clean out my W2K machine so that it
>>>never knew a CD-RW was ever present?  It happens to be
>>>an HP CD-Writer+ 9100 that WAS working but now gets the
>>>error message above.

>>>If I do a seach through the registry, even after
>>uninstalling the
>>>drive, I see many "cd-writer+" entries.  If I delete
>>these, will my
>>>machine be * again relative to this drive?  Anyting
>>else I should
>>>do or know?

>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>.

 
 
 

1. Complete Removal of CD-RW Drive From W2K System ?

I am experiencing the dreaded "not accessible, incorrect function"
problem after trying to change drive letters.  I have read many
(nearly 100 ?) usenet articles with folks having the same problem
although most are just the base article with no responses and
those with responses are not working for me when I try the
suggestions.

My question - how do I clean out my W2K machine so that it
never knew a CD-RW was ever present?  It happens to be
an HP CD-Writer+ 9100 that WAS working but now gets the
error message above.

If I do a seach through the registry, even after uninstalling the
drive, I see many "cd-writer+" entries.  If I delete these, will my
machine be virgin again relative to this drive?  Anyting else I should
do or know?

Thanks in advance.

2. Where can I get a pen to write on CD-R's???

3. How to change the CD ROM and CD-RW to Y drive Z Drive

4. I am looking for someone/company who can develop Pocket PC application

5. cd-rw drive working only as a normal cd drive

6. Win2K computers in the workgroup lose their connection

7. Computer will not recognize my CD-ROM, Zip Drive and my CD-RW drives, please help..

8. CC mode: indent the closing bracket

9. Moviemaker can't burn to DVD+RW / CD-RW drive

10. Disappearing dvd drive and cd-rw drive

11. Windows will not assign a drive letter to my cd-rw drive, please help.

12. Windows will not assign a drive letter to my CD-RW drive

13. drive letter access to CD-RW drive with Win98