Weird IP/DHCP/DNS Problems in w2k

Post by Gabriel Bad » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 06:42:30

Hi all... hope you can help with this issue:

I have a W2k/SP2 server with two nics attached to it:

Nic 1: Netgear FA-510C (Let me label it as EXTERNAL)
        IP: obtained from DHCP (auto)
        DNS: Auto
        GW: Auto

Nic 2: 3Com Etherlink XL (Let me label it as INTERNAL)
        IP: 192.168.0.1
        Mask: 255.255.255.0
        DNS: 192.168.0.1
        GW: None
        Provides DHCP Service in the range: 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.30

I Connect to the Internet via a Cisco DSL router that provides dynamic
assignation of IP, DNS, GW...

When I see via MSC the DHCP and DNS server applets, all seems to be
all right: the DNS and DHCP are showing its REAL internal IP address:
192.168.0.1

The problem is: when I am connected during about 15 minutes-1 hour
(variable), and I go via MSC to these applets and see that the IP of
them have changed to these of the external assigned IP: 205.x.x.x and
then it is not possible for the client machines to obtain an IP via
DHCP nor resolve via DNS.... I have to restart the server or
disable/enable again the network adapters...

Any one can help with that please ?

Weird IP/DHCP/DNS Problems in w2k

Post by JR » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:48:43

Hi,
What u did in your External NIC is correct.It will take a
Dynamic address from the ISP.All u have to do is put a
static IP address in your Internal NIC.Now what will
happen is only that computer can connect to the
internet.Now if u want al the computer to connect to the
internet via the Internal NIC all u have to do is
Configure NAT.And u won't be having any problem for sure.
Bye.Let me know if it worked.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi all... hope you can help with this issue:

>I have a W2k/SP2 server with two nics attached to it:

>Nic 1: Netgear FA-510C (Let me label it as EXTERNAL)
>    IP: obtained from DHCP (auto)
>    DNS: Auto
>    GW: Auto

>Nic 2: 3Com Etherlink XL (Let me label it as INTERNAL)
>    IP: 192.168.0.1
>    Mask: 255.255.255.0
>    DNS: 192.168.0.1
>    GW: None
>    Provides DHCP Service in the range: 192.168.0.10-
192.168.0.30

>I Connect to the Internet via a Cisco DSL router that
provides dynamic
>assignation of IP, DNS, GW...

>When I see via MSC the DHCP and DNS server applets, all
seems to be
>all right: the DNS and DHCP are showing its REAL internal
IP address:
>192.168.0.1

>The problem is: when I am connected during about 15
minutes-1 hour
>(variable), and I go via MSC to these applets and see
that the IP of
>them have changed to these of the external assigned IP:
205.x.x.x and
>then it is not possible for the client machines to obtain
an IP via
>DHCP nor resolve via DNS.... I have to restart the server
or
>disable/enable again the network adapters...

>Any one can help with that please ?
>.

1. Bizarre DNS Problem w/ PPP AND Weird problem - no DNS during DUN session

Phew - there is someone else with this problem - I thought I was the only
one going mad.

Although, my laptop is fine (use on the LAN at work and also regularly
dialup with it), but my home machine works on the LAN, but no DNS over PPP
in apps (even though nslookup on the command line works).

Has anyone seen/heard anything from MS about a workaround or cause?  The
fact that it happens on one machine and not on another hints at some sort of
DUN/registry corruption that could conceivably be fixed.

--James

2. clustering inquire

3. Win2k IP/DHCP/DNS problems

4. Installing Warp3 on Toshiba Tecra 8000

5. W2K DHCP DNS and NT4.0 DHCP Conflicts

6. Newbie question on IRIS INDIGO XS24

7. Weird DHCP error in w2k

8. Anyone solved 2002 Security issues?

9. W2K Pro DHCP / DNS Problem

10. W2k Pro DHCP/DNS problems

11. W2K Client gets DNS from Pre W2K DHCP = NO Remote Admin?

12. w2k pro can't login any more on w2k server with DHCP and new DNS

13. w2k DHCP, w2k DNS and Linux clients