Force "Open with"?

Post by Vincent Fatic » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In NT Shift-right-click would force the "Open with" dialog.  Can this be
done in Windows 2000?

Thanks.

 - Vince

Force "Open with"?

Post by Jeff Szark » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

:In NT Shift-right-click would force the "Open with" dialog.  Can this be
:done in Windows 2000?
:
:Thanks.
:
: - Vince

Yes. It some cases it also offers a cascading menu that includes a
list of programs you've used to open the file type before, plus an
option to pick a new one.

Force "Open with"?

Post by Cryogeni » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

actually, shift isn't necessary, once you use the open with command a time
or two, it'll remember it and everytime you right click, you'll get a
cascading menu allowing you to choose from the programs you've used in the
past to open the given file... I think even the first time you right click,
you should just get "open with" as an option, and any subsequent usage will
give you an arrow and another menu that'll pop out and list any programs
you've used to open the file...

Hope this helps,
Cryo

> :In NT Shift-right-click would force the "Open with" dialog.  Can this be
> :done in Windows 2000?
> :
> :Thanks.
> :
> : - Vince

> Yes. It some cases it also offers a cascading menu that includes a
> list of programs you've used to open the file type before, plus an
> option to pick a new one.

Force "Open with"?

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> actually, shift isn't necessary, once you use the open with command a time
> or two, it'll remember it and everytime you right click, you'll get a
> cascading menu allowing you to choose from the programs you've used in the
> past to open the given file... I think even the first time you right
click,
> you should just get "open with" as an option, and any subsequent usage
will
> give you an arrow and another menu that'll pop out and list any programs
> you've used to open the file...

    That's probably a function of the personalized menus option, which many
people have turned off....

Force "Open with"?

Post by J. Alle » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Not it is not a function of the personalized menu.  The original poster was correct.  Right click the program you want to open.  Select 'open with'.  Choose the application.  Each subsequent time you right click, you will be given a choice of which application you want to use.

--

Go here to learn more: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
And here to download the program: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html

  > actually, shift isn't necessary, once you use the open with command a time
  > or two, it'll remember it and everytime you right click, you'll get a
  > cascading menu allowing you to choose from the programs you've used in the
  > past to open the given file... I think even the first time you right
  click,
  > you should just get "open with" as an option, and any subsequent usage
  will
  > give you an arrow and another menu that'll pop out and list any programs
  > you've used to open the file...

      That's probably a function of the personalized menus option, which many
  people have turned off....

1. Default settings for "Open" "Save", "Save As" etc.

1.  I find myself jockeying through these dialog boxes time after time
getting down to the directory(s) I am truly interested in.  They seem to
consistently start at some directory I have no interest in.  What can be
done (short of setting up shortcuts) to by default go to the desired
destinations?

2.  What is the text gibberish called which occurs at times when you open
a text file in another application - ie. Works' interpretation of a Word
Perfect file which shows unintelligible collections of smiley faces, ??, ``
##**(()), boxes -- anything but clear text??  I have on occasion received
e-mail with this display?  What is it?

3.  What can be done to correct problem where CTRL+Alt+Delete does NOT
bring up the Close Programs Dialog box?  Mine works maybe l out of 20
times?

2. MSInfo

3. Force "Log Off" After xx Minutes On W2K Pro "Client" Computer???

4. Many old Amiga games & serious software *

5. Heap Management

7. NEC driver

8. Force apps to open "in focus"

9. Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly

10. Default view in "open"/"Save" dialog box

11. default view for "open"/"Save" dialog box

12. Item in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly