How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Dick Smit » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:11:04

How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
format?

--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Keith Hil » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:26:42

Quote:> How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
> format?

Check out the convert.exe utility in \winnt\system32.

--
Keith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Dick Smit » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:34:09

Ok, thanks!

> > How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
> > format?

> Check out the convert.exe utility in \winnt\system32.

> --
> Keith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Phil McNeil » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:33:55

Open a command prompt and type "convert C: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes).  This
assumes it is your C: drive you want to convert.  If it is a different
drive, substitute it's letter.

> How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
> format?

> --
> With kindest regards,

>* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Dick Smit » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:53:30

Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

> Open a command prompt and type "convert C: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes).
This
> assumes it is your C: drive you want to convert.  If it is a different
> drive, substitute it's letter.

> > How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
> > format?

> > --
> > With kindest regards,

> >* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Maveric » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:08:51

yes, no data whatsoever will be lost.

> Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
> --
> With kindest regards,

>* Smith

> > Open a command prompt and type "convert C: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes).
> This
> > assumes it is your C: drive you want to convert.  If it is a different
> > drive, substitute it's letter.

> > > How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the
NTFS
> > > format?

> > > --
> > > With kindest regards,

> > >* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Richard Daki » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:47:19

Yes, the convert tool does the conversion without loss of data, but I would
always recommend doing a full backup when doing anything like this.
Note that this will give you 512kb clusters on the volume and depending on
what files you have stored there *may* cause a slowdown due to increased
fragmentation.
If this is a secondary disk I would backup the data & do a full format
within W2K.

--
Richard Dakin
+++No email please+++

> Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
> --
> With kindest regards,

>* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Dick Smit » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:46:42

Thanks very much, Richard!  That worked rather well.

--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

> Yes, the convert tool does the conversion without loss of data, but I
would
> always recommend doing a full backup when doing anything like this.
> Note that this will give you 512kb clusters on the volume and depending on
> what files you have stored there *may* cause a slowdown due to increased
> fragmentation.
> If this is a secondary disk I would backup the data & do a full format
> within W2K.

> --
> Richard Dakin
> +++No email please+++

> > Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
> > --
> > With kindest regards,

> >* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Dick Smit » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:47:44

Thank you ever so much Maverick!  That worked just fine.

--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

> yes, no data whatsoever will be lost.

> > Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
> > --
> > With kindest regards,

> >* Smith

> > > Open a command prompt and type "convert C: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes).
> > This
> > > assumes it is your C: drive you want to convert.  If it is a different
> > > drive, substitute it's letter.

> NTFS

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Robert Poffenbarge » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:37:44

Hello...thought Id throw in two cents...the command "convert C:
/FS:NTFS"...will indeed preserve the quality of the data, and will simply
add attributes which werent available before for security and auditing ,
etc. Once converted to NTFS, ( process does require a reboot) it is a little
dificult to get back in case you ever want to view the contents of that
drive with DOS. Im just letting you know NTFS adds functionality, but you
also get into a little different world.

> Thanks, Phil!  Will doing that preserve the data on that hard drive?
> --
> With kindest regards,

>* Smith

> > Open a command prompt and type "convert C: /FS:NTFS" (without quotes).
> This
> > assumes it is your C: drive you want to convert.  If it is a different
> > drive, substitute it's letter.

> > > How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the
NTFS
> > > format?

> > > --
> > > With kindest regards,

> > >* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Colon Terminu » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:40:49

Dick,

Backup.
Reformat.
Restore.

> How can I convert a hard drive that contains a lot of files to the NTFS
> format?

> --
> With kindest regards,

>* Smith

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Phil McNeil » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:46:13

Quote:

>*,

> Backup.
> Reformat.
> Restore.

That's one way of doing it, but unnecessary.  The convert utility merely
changes cluster size and adds NTFS functionality.  Any performance issues
due to fragmentation can be handled with a quick defrag.  I've used this a
dozen times or more and have never had a problem.

As far as backing up, that is always a good policy, not just when you are
changing file systems.  If the data on the drive is THAT important you
should be backing it up daily anyway, so this shouldn't be a big issue.

How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

Post by Ricardo M. Urban » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:20:50

"unnecessary" depends on who you're asking.  if you convert a FAT
partition, 3 things happen:

1) 512byte clusters - slower I/O performance and increased fragmentation
*going forward*.  a one time defrag will take care of it now, but the
drive will defrag more easily.
2) fragmented MFT - agaain, you will take a performance hit
3) default perms: everyone: full control.

i personally would convert a boot partition because backing up and
restoring has its own problems, but i would definitely backup, reformat
and restore any other partition.

issue 3 is only relevant to boot partitions, so it somewhat moot in this
discussion, at least from my perspective, but good to know nonetheless.