Connecting Win 2K Server with a Windows XP Pro PC

Connecting Win 2K Server with a Windows XP Pro PC

Post by Paul Ris » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:32:22

I am in the process of upgrading a small network of old
PCs (386, 486 and a Pentium server) running Novell 4.10.
The "upgrade" is really replacing all the old PCs with new
ones.  All the new PC's are running Windows XP Pro.  I am
trying to get the new network (consisting of 3 PC's
connected by a Linksys router) to talk to the old server
running Windows 2000 Server long enough so I can transfer
all the data form the old server to one of the new PCs.
The XP machines can all see each other and play nice,
however, I cannot get the Windows 2000 PC to see the XP
PC, or vice versa.  I have tried "new network connection"
wizard, which seems to insist on using a phone line or a
direct connection (parallel, serial, or IR).  Even when
both computers are connected into the same router, they
will not see each other. I am a bit new to networking.
Any suggestions?  I have also heard that using a null-
modem cable or crossover cable might help, but since the
PC's are already connected through a hub is seems that
there should be an easier way.

Connecting Win 2K Server with a Windows XP Pro PC

Post by Jim » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:06:42

If you run IPCONFIG /ALL from a CMD prompt on the server and the workstation
what does it give you?  Can you ping each machine from the other?  By name
or ip address?

Jim

Quote:> I am in the process of upgrading a small network of old
> PCs (386, 486 and a Pentium server) running Novell 4.10.
> The "upgrade" is really replacing all the old PCs with new
> ones.  All the new PC's are running Windows XP Pro.  I am
> trying to get the new network (consisting of 3 PC's
> connected by a Linksys router) to talk to the old server
> running Windows 2000 Server long enough so I can transfer
> all the data form the old server to one of the new PCs.
> The XP machines can all see each other and play nice,
> however, I cannot get the Windows 2000 PC to see the XP
> PC, or vice versa.  I have tried "new network connection"
> wizard, which seems to insist on using a phone line or a
> direct connection (parallel, serial, or IR).  Even when
> both computers are connected into the same router, they
> will not see each other. I am a bit new to networking.
> Any suggestions?  I have also heard that using a null-
> modem cable or crossover cable might help, but since the
> PC's are already connected through a hub is seems that
> there should be an easier way.

1. Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

    What is the difference between Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K
Advanced Server?  I own 3-4 PCs.  One of them needs to become to be Server.
It will have its own web site that allows people to access to the web site
into the server through the internet.  Please advise.

--
Regards,

Bryan Parkoff

2. FS:A2000/2MBCHIP/8MBFAST32bit/320MBHD/Monitor

3. Problem Installing Win XP Pro over Win 2K Pro

4. Merge vs. SQL

5. Dual Boot, Win 2K Server and Win XP Pro?

6. M515 sync problem

7. Win 2k pro / Win XP Pro Remote assistance??

8. subselect prob in view

9. Can't connect to XP Pro from 2K Pro

10. How to directly connect a Win2000 PC to a Windows XP PC

11. Windows 2k Pro to Win 2k Server?

12. Question on Win 2K pro vs Win 2K adv Server

13. Convert win 2k pro to win 2k server?