SP3 install hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

SP3 install hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

Post by Bob Porte » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 20:32:57

This is a second post.  If anyone has any suggestion I
would very much appreciate it.  I have attempted an SP3
upgrade on a W2Kpro sys four times. Loader download
completes, and install begins.  Progress bar moves very
slowly, finally reaching end after a VERY long
time...hours.  No futher progress.  Installer is running
but is not completing.  Rest of system operates but
installer just hangs.  I cannot find KB article that
addresses this problem.  I really need to have sp3 (or
even sp2) to run some new software.  If you have any
suggestion, please let me know.
THanks,
Bob Porter, Tampa

I have 1.5GHZ AMD, .5G memory, DSL download, OS 5.0.2195

SP3 install hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

Post by Michael Allma » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:39:36

Make sure you have enough free disk space (~500MB) and that your virus
software is disabled.  Also make sure your drive is defragmented and I'd
even run a Chkdsk.  If things are still super slow I would suspect RAM
errors and would get down to 1 stick of RAM if you have 2 or more now, then
retry.

Michael

P.S. It's not until Sp2 that Win2k supports ATA100 drives so your drive will
be running at ATA66 maximum now.

Quote:> This is a second post.  If anyone has any suggestion I
> would very much appreciate it.  I have attempted an SP3
> upgrade on a W2Kpro sys four times. Loader download
> completes, and install begins.  Progress bar moves very
> slowly, finally reaching end after a VERY long
> time...hours.  No futher progress.  Installer is running
> but is not completing.  Rest of system operates but
> installer just hangs.  I cannot find KB article that
> addresses this problem.  I really need to have sp3 (or
> even sp2) to run some new software.  If you have any
> suggestion, please let me know.
> THanks,
> Bob Porter, Tampa

> I have 1.5GHZ AMD, .5G memory, DSL download, OS 5.0.2195

SP3 install hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

Post by MeanGen » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 11:37:23

Make sure you don't have any USB devices, Palms ect.
plugged in when you do the update.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Make sure you have enough free disk space (~500MB) and
that your virus
>software is disabled.  Also make sure your drive is

defragmented and I'd
Quote:>even run a Chkdsk.  If things are still super slow I
would suspect RAM
>errors and would get down to 1 stick of RAM if you have
2 or more now, then
>retry.

>Michael

>P.S. It's not until Sp2 that Win2k supports ATA100

drives so your drive will
>be running at ATA66 maximum now.

>> This is a second post.  If anyone has any suggestion I
>> would very much appreciate it.  I have attempted an SP3
>> upgrade on a W2Kpro sys four times. Loader download
>> completes, and install begins.  Progress bar moves very
>> slowly, finally reaching end after a VERY long
>> time...hours.  No futher progress.  Installer is
running
>> but is not completing.  Rest of system operates but
>> installer just hangs.  I cannot find KB article that
>> addresses this problem.  I really need to have sp3 (or
>> even sp2) to run some new software.  If you have any
>> suggestion, please let me know.
>> THanks,
>> Bob Porter, Tampa

>> I have 1.5GHZ AMD, .5G memory, DSL download, OS
5.0.2195

>.

SP3 install hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

Post by Aaron Sheaffe » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:20:57

I have had same problem. Install goes through and keeps
saying "updating files, etc." Then it hangs for hours!
(Last time I gave up after 5 hours). I finally give up and
crash the install. I, too, need the upgrade for some
programs. I'm on a laptop.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This is a second post.  If anyone has any suggestion I
>would very much appreciate it.  I have attempted an SP3
>upgrade on a W2Kpro sys four times. Loader download
>completes, and install begins.  Progress bar moves very
>slowly, finally reaching end after a VERY long
>time...hours.  No futher progress.  Installer is running
>but is not completing.  Rest of system operates but
>installer just hangs.  I cannot find KB article that
>addresses this problem.  I really need to have sp3 (or
>even sp2) to run some new software.  If you have any
>suggestion, please let me know.
>THanks,
>Bob Porter, Tampa

>I have 1.5GHZ AMD, .5G memory, DSL download, OS 5.0.2195
>.

1. Hey "MVP's" Hang, Hang, Hang

I've finally got Win98 installed from a full install/clean.  But now it
seems to hang at the drop of a hat. I've done everything to make sure
that my drivers are up to date.  I have to say that my computer is 2
years old bought in Aug. 1996.

I'm seriously concerned that its age is the reason that it is having so
much trouble with Win98.  On the other hand as far as I can see there are
no IRQ, DMA etc. conflicts that I can find.

I've got a Seanix computer with 48MB RAM, 133 Pentium with a Yukon
Motherboard (Not TX), Cirrus Logic 5446, Yamaha OPL3-Sax Sound Card, and
a CPI Viva Speakerphone 28.8

If you can think of anything that might help let me know

--
Ciao
DancesWithWords

2. *** Help with MONTH function in Excel4 ***

3. System Hangs and Hangs

4. Problem with <process.h>

5. "My Computer" hangs (all file folders hang)

6. VPN & FWTK Firewall

7. Can anyone explain this:- W2k hangs or doesn't hang with no changes (read)

8. Hangs - REALLY hangs on boot...

9. Attempts to kill hung process makes Win2k Pro hang

10. Windows 2000 server hangs on reboot after SP3 installed

11. Hang after installed Pre SP3 Q302755

12. Explorer hangs after SP3 install