Problems with vpn connections after server reboot

Problems with vpn connections after server reboot

Post by AndrĂ© Heue » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:25:10

Hi,

we have a windows 2000 server (sp2) with ISA server 2000 (SP1) installed on
it. We can just access and administrate it by using vpn connection and
terminal services.

Today we had to restart the server. After this we were unable to connect via
vpn. After solving this problem we found several entries in the event log:

Event Source: Remote Access
Event ID: 20171
because of error:
The RPC server is unavailable. No calls will be accepted to this port.
Clients cannot connect to the RAS server.

Microsoft knows this problem and recommends to start the "Remote Access
Service" manually after login. Thats a problem for us: No Service => no vpn
=> no terminal client => no login :-(

We now try the following:

We start a script after system start by using scheduled tasks. In this
script we wait 60 seconds and start the service with "net start".

Now the problem:

In the Ms article they recommend to start the   "Remote Access Service". But
I dont any service with (exact this) name. I found the following that could
match:

- Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
- Remote Access Connection Manager
- Routing and Remote Access

Which of these services I have to start manually?

Thanks

Andr Heuer

1. Problems with vpn connections after server reboot

[...]

2. Mako/Revo Battery Problem ... Possible Solution

3. Changing scsi id of system disc

4. VPN - A VPN server requires that one connection be used as the private network connection

5. Where to download QNX6.2?

6. Need to reboot Win2k Server thru VPN connection

7. Controlling Printing on Laser Printers

8. problems afters upgrading to Win2k on my Toshiba Labtop

9. VPN clients unable to communicate through server VPN connection

10. Windows 2k VPN connectivity within a ADSL VPN connection problem

11. VPN SERVER CONNECTION PROBLEMS