Adding Windows 2000 on IDE Raid to computer with existing Windows 98 SE

Adding Windows 2000 on IDE Raid to computer with existing Windows 98 SE

Post by Jerry Kear » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:53:55

I have a computer with an existing Windows 98 SE installation on an
IDE hard drive connected as master on the primary ide controller.

The motherboard has an integrated raid controller with two additional
ide connectors.

I want to add two more IDE hard drives in a RAID 0 (striping)
configuration) and install Windows 2000 on the Raid array.

My question is if I do this will Windows 2000 recognize the prior
Windows 98 installation on the existing hard drive and provide a
dual-boot menu option?

My understanding is that I boot from a Windows 2000 CD and hit F6 to
load the raid drivers from a floppy, and then install on the Raid
array, formatting to FAT32, and then both operating systems will be
able to read and write files to all drives. Is this correct? Is this
the best way to proceed? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adding Windows 2000 on IDE Raid to computer with existing Windows 98 SE

Post by Nut Cracke » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:53:58

yes. You will get the boot menu where you can choose 98 or 2000.

NuTs

Quote:> I have a computer with an existing Windows 98 SE installation on an
> IDE hard drive connected as master on the primary ide controller.

> The motherboard has an integrated raid controller with two additional
> ide connectors.

> I want to add two more IDE hard drives in a RAID 0 (striping)
> configuration) and install Windows 2000 on the Raid array.

> My question is if I do this will Windows 2000 recognize the prior
> Windows 98 installation on the existing hard drive and provide a
> dual-boot menu option?

> My understanding is that I boot from a Windows 2000 CD and hit F6 to
> load the raid drivers from a floppy, and then install on the Raid
> array, formatting to FAT32, and then both operating systems will be
> able to read and write files to all drives. Is this correct? Is this
> the best way to proceed? Am I missing something?

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

1. Windows 2000 Computer Cannot "See" Windows 98 Computer on LAN

My peer-to-peer LAN has 3 Windows 2000 computers, one Windows ME and one
Windows 98 computer.  All of the other computers appear in the Network
Neighborhood of the Windows 98 computer.  However, neither the Windows 98
computer does not show up in My Network Places on the Windows 2000 computers
nor does it appear there on the Windows ME computer.  I have verified that
all 5 computers are assigned to the same Workgroup.

How can I get the Windows 98 computer to show up the other computers' My
Network Places display?

I shall greatly appreciate your help on this.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

2. Expense types

3. dual boot: windows 2000 (ide) and windows 98 (scsi) ?

4. Just got my Zaurus. Anyone backing up to Unix?

5. install windows 98 on existing windows 2000

6. Smail configuration help needed

7. dual boot: windows 2000 (ide) and windows 98 (scsi) ?

8. DOS 5.0 disk sector size; help wanted

9. Windows 2000 ACPI vs Windows 98 SE ACPI

10. windows 2000 & windows 98 se

11. Roaming Outlook 97 and Windows 2000 / Windows 98 SE

12. Dual booting Windows 2000 & Windows 98 SE

13. CONVERTING FROM WINDOWS 98 SE TO WINDOWS 2000