Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Christopher McGilto » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up the
entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
operation twice. Let me explain:

First Time:
a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384 Meg
Max.
b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
it's tests and configures the drive.
d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
fine after this.

Second Time:
a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
it's tests and configures the drive.
d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name of
the first drive.  All is fine after this.

The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

Thanks,

Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Christopher McGilto » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Correction: the version of Ghost I'm using is 6.01 and all is done from the
DOS bootable floppy.

Chris

Quote:> Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up the
> entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
> operation twice. Let me explain:

> First Time:
> a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384 Meg
> Max.
> b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
> c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> it's tests and configures the drive.
> d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
> fine after this.

> Second Time:
> a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
> c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> it's tests and configures the drive.
> d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
> e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name
of
> the first drive.  All is fine after this.

> The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
> Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

> Thanks,

> Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Andrej Budj » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Are the hard drives the same size?

Andrej
--
Andrej Budja, MCSE+I, MVP

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:18:49 GMT, "Christopher McGilton"

>Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up the
>entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
>operation twice. Let me explain:

>First Time:
>a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384 Meg
>Max.
>b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
>c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
>it's tests and configures the drive.
>d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
>fine after this.

>Second Time:
>a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
>c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
>it's tests and configures the drive.
>d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
>e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name of
>the first drive.  All is fine after this.

>The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
>Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

>Thanks,

>Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Christopher McGilto » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Andrej,

No, the fisrt drive is 28.5 gig, the second drive is 8.4 gig.  7 gigs of
data are being copied.

Chris

> Are the hard drives the same size?

> Andrej
> --
> Andrej Budja, MCSE+I, MVP

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:18:49 GMT, "Christopher McGilton"

> >Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up
the
> >entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
> >operation twice. Let me explain:

> >First Time:
> >a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384
Meg
> >Max.
> >b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
> >c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> >it's tests and configures the drive.
> >d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
> >fine after this.

> >Second Time:
> >a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
> >c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> >it's tests and configures the drive.
> >d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
> >e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name
of
> >the first drive.  All is fine after this.

> >The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
> >Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

> >Thanks,

> >Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Walt Irvin » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I ran into the same situation you describe (using Ghost 5.1.d), and further
screwed up by changing drive letters in Win 2K.  After rebooting, I got the
infamous message that my paging file was either missing or too small at the
login prompt, and would be returned to login when OK was clicked.  Finally
removed the cloned drive (on secondary channel as master), ran Norton's
Gdisk with /mbr option on the original drive, and all was fine.  Then
removed the original drive, installed cloned drive on primary, and ran Gdisk
/mbr on it, and was able to boot it normally.

I have not had the time to reproduce this, and examine the master boot
record in an attempt to determine what happened.  The two drives were of
different size, but Ghost is supposed to be able to handle this.  I suppose
it could have something to do with the fact that both were marked as active.
I now get around this by using a removable drive caddy for the backup drive,
and simply remove it after the disk to disk copy.

Regards
Walt

Quote:> Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up the
> entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
> operation twice. OS is Win 2000 but use Ghost.exe with a DOS bootable
> floppy:

> First Time:
> a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384 Meg
> Max.
> b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
> c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> it's tests and configures the drive.
> d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
> fine after this but the drive letters change between the two drives and
the
> second hard drives boots up instead of the first one so....

> Second Time:
> a.  I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
> b.  Then the PC boots up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> it's tests and configures the drive.
> c.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
> d.  After the PC reboots, the drive letters revert back to what they
should
> be and I go into Windows Explorer and change the name of the first drive.
> All is fine after this.

> The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
> Ghost only once and to have the first hard drive boot up after copying?
If
> so, what do I have to do?

> Thanks,

> Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Andrej Budj » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Try to copy partitions and not the whole drive.

Andrej
--
Andrej Budja, MCSE+I, MVP

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:01:57 GMT, "Christopher McGilton"

>Hi Andrej,

>No, the fisrt drive is 28.5 gig, the second drive is 8.4 gig.  7 gigs of
>data are being copied.

>Chris

>> Are the hard drives the same size?

>> Andrej
>> --
>> Andrej Budja, MCSE+I, MVP

>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 02:18:49 GMT, "Christopher McGilton"

>> >Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up
>the
>> >entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
>> >operation twice. Let me explain:

>> >First Time:
>> >a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384
>Meg
>> >Max.
>> >b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
>> >c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
>> >it's tests and configures the drive.
>> >d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
>> >fine after this.

>> >Second Time:
>> >a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
>> >c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
>> >it's tests and configures the drive.
>> >d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
>> >e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name
>of
>> >the first drive.  All is fine after this.

>> >The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
>> >Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

>> >Thanks,

>> >Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Alex Meade » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I don't see from your explanation how you *need* to do this twice. It would
appear that you are copying from the first copy back onto the original
harddisk?

> Correction: the version of Ghost I'm using is 6.01 and all is done from
the
> DOS bootable floppy.

> Chris

> > Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up
the
> > entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
> > operation twice. Let me explain:

> > First Time:
> > a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384
Meg
> > Max.
> > b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
> > c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> > it's tests and configures the drive.
> > d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All is
> > fine after this.

> > Second Time:
> > a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
> > c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it does
> > it's tests and configures the drive.
> > d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
> > e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the name
> of
> > the first drive.  All is fine after this.

> > The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other using
> > Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

> > Thanks,

> > Chris McGilton

Norton Ghost 5.03 Question

Post by Christopher McGilto » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Alex,

That's correct Alex. If I don't do it twice then W2K will boot from the
drive I'm copying to, not the original drive.  That's the problem.

Thanks,

Chris

> I don't see from your explanation how you *need* to do this twice. It
would
> appear that you are copying from the first copy back onto the original
> harddisk?

> > Correction: the version of Ghost I'm using is 6.01 and all is done from
> the
> > DOS bootable floppy.

> > Chris

> > > Situation:  I have two hard drives and there is a quirk when I back up
> the
> > > entire content of one drive onto the other.  I have to perform this
> > > operation twice. Let me explain:

> > > First Time:
> > > a.  Ensure both hard Drives have a paging file on it, 192 Meg Min, 384
> Meg
> > > Max.
> > > b.  Perform Ghost once by copying the first hard drive onto the other.
> > > c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it
does
> > > it's tests and configures the drive.
> > > d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots. All
is
> > > fine after this.

> > > Second Time:
> > > a.  Then I copy the second hard drive onto the first.
> > > c.  Then let the PC boot up and Windows checks the drive out and it
does
> > > it's tests and configures the drive.
> > > d.  Then Windows finds new hardware (the hard drive) and reboots.
> > > e.  After the PC reboots, I go into Windows Explorer and change the
name
> > of
> > > the first drive.  All is fine after this.

> > > The question:  Is there a way to copy one hard drive to the other
using
> > > Ghost only once?  If so, what do I have to do?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Chris McGilton

1. Ghosting using DOS with Norton. First time Ghosting

I would like to snap an image of my 2k server and 2k TS
server.  I have heard that the server ID required to
successfully/ properly Ghost these machines.  Does anyone
have experience to share on this?

I will be Ghosting to my network file server, then split
the image and write to CD.

Marty

2. Apple ][ Emulators SSI page... http://www.concentric.net/~evin/ssi/

3. Norton Ghost 2003 cannot ghost the C drive of Windows 2k Advanced Server.

4. Unwanted email

5. Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

6. FYI: Netscape 4.5 New IMAP Features / Feedback

7. Norton Ghost backup question

8. QueryString question

9. 2000 Terminal Services license / Norton Ghost question

10. Question On Norton Ghost And NTFS Partitions

11. question norton ghost 5.1

12. OT: Norton Ghost Question ?

13. Norton ghost question