Installing Non w2k Software on a w2k Box

Installing Non w2k Software on a w2k Box

Post by chris.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a w2k server I am running behind a proxy server for my cable
modem.  I am trying to install a client software package that  keeps my
ip updated on dyndns.org.  The client package appears to be in vb.
When I run setup, it informs me it is updating 4 system components and
then asks me to reboot.  When I rerun the setup.exe to finish the
install, it informs me I have to run the upgrade again and reboot - ad
infinity.

Is there something I need to deactivate or am I SOL until a w2k
compatible product comes out?

Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Installing Non w2k Software on a w2k Box

Post by Malcolm Ferguso » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Have you tried a different client?  There seemed to be quite a few out
there.  I haven't installed it under Win2K yet, but I was using BaliDNS
under WinNT quite successfully.

Malc

> I have a w2k server I am running behind a proxy server for my cable
> modem.  I am trying to install a client software package that  keeps my
> ip updated on dyndns.org.  The client package appears to be in vb.
> When I run setup, it informs me it is updating 4 system components and
> then asks me to reboot.  When I rerun the setup.exe to finish the
> install, it informs me I have to run the upgrade again and reboot - ad
> infinity.

> Is there something I need to deactivate or am I SOL until a w2k
> compatible product comes out?

> Chris

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Installing Non w2k Software on a w2k Box

Post by Christopher S Smit » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Try using 'PowerStrip' from Entech.com it has worked well for me and allows
me to use the Iiyama driver and customize just about every setting in the
video realm.
Chris

> Have you tried a different client?  There seemed to be quite a few out
> there.  I haven't installed it under Win2K yet, but I was using BaliDNS
> under WinNT quite successfully.

> Malc

> > I have a w2k server I am running behind a proxy server for my cable
> > modem.  I am trying to install a client software package that  keeps my
> > ip updated on dyndns.org.  The client package appears to be in vb.
> > When I run setup, it informs me it is updating 4 system components and
> > then asks me to reboot.  When I rerun the setup.exe to finish the
> > install, it informs me I have to run the upgrade again and reboot - ad
> > infinity.

> > Is there something I need to deactivate or am I SOL until a w2k
> > compatible product comes out?

> > Chris

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. installing NT4 software stuffs Acer w2k box. Recovery ?

On the advice of Greg Armenia's auto response I have rejigged my question.
I have an Acer travelMate 521iT laptop with windows 2000 installed and no
service pack.  It has Office and a few other simple applications installed
and until last week was happily working.  Several days ago it had an
application designed for NT4 only (Symantecs Norton Anti Virus V5) installed
on it.  Shortly after a microsoft keyboard was added to the hardware for use
in an office.  Realising the NT4 application was not meant for w2k the user
uninstalled it.  The machine has not booted properly since.  It passes the
black and white screen and finishes the "Built on NT Technology" splash
screen but goes no further.  It locks up on a light blue screen and their is
no disk activity.

I have never seriously debugged a w2k install before.  What files should I
look at to discover the cause ?  Are there any tips for recovering my
install ?  I have tried recovering through the w2k install CD and booting
through safe mode and none of these are successful.  If this is an
innapropriate newsgroup or there is more data I need to provide please
direct me accordingly.

thanks,

Scott.

2. Animated Gif

3. Does W2k Adv Srv install upon w2k Pro retaining all software settings?

4. FS: A+ issues

5. How to install a non PNP drivers in W2k Unattended install

6. Ability to print to PC printer using AFP overlay via client access emulated printer

7. W2K Server using non-W2K DNS Server

8. Getting group information

9. W2k install problem: "Existing software was not fully installed"

10. Added W2K Server, now W2K Pro boxes very slow to login (>20min)

11. Stany By on non ACPI w2k install - HOW??

12. installing SW as non-admin - w2k

13. Re-installing W2k on non-accessable partition?