File owner search...

Post by CC » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:30:59

Ok, I have disk quota setup and everything seems to be
working fine. I have a concern though. When someone
reaches their quota and can not save anything else to the
server; how can I run a query (or some other search) to
see what files that the user owns? In a lot of cases I
may need to take owner ship of files (because the whole
department uses them) to free up space for someone's
quota. Does anyone know of a way to find out this
information? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CC

File owner search...

Post by Barry Shor » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 06:20:01

There's a utility in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit called "Diskuse.exe" that
probably does what you want (the online description is "scans a directory
tree and reports the amount of space used by each user").

In a pinch, you can fall back on trusty DOS.  Use the /Q switch of the DIR
command and pipe the output through the "FIND" command to filter for just
the files owned by the user.  Something like:

    dir c:\*.* /s/q|Find "Username" > UserFiles.txt

That's a "vertical bar" before the Find command.  You'll lose a file's
directory information when you do this, so once you find a candidate file,
you'd need to search for just that filename to find the folder in which it
is located.

Quote:> Ok, I have disk quota setup and everything seems to be
> working fine. I have a concern though. When someone
> reaches their quota and can not save anything else to the
> server; how can I run a query (or some other search) to
> see what files that the user owns? In a lot of cases I
> may need to take owner ship of files (because the whole
> department uses them) to free up space for someone's
> quota. Does anyone know of a way to find out this
> information? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

> CC

File owner search...

Post by Mark » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 06:23:54

> There's a utility in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit called
> "Diskuse.exe" that probably does what you want (the online
> description is "scans a directory tree and reports the amount of
> space used by each user").

> In a pinch, you can fall back on trusty DOS.  Use the /Q switch of
> the DIR command and pipe the output through the "FIND" command to
> filter for just the files owned by the user.  Something like:

>     dir c:\*.* /s/q|Find "Username" > UserFiles.txt

> That's a "vertical bar" before the Find command.  You'll lose a
> file's directory information when you do this, so once you find a
> candidate file, you'd need to search for just that filename to
> find the folder in which it is located.

>> Ok, I have disk quota setup and everything seems to be
>> working fine. I have a concern though. When someone
>> reaches their quota and can not save anything else to the
>> server; how can I run a query (or some other search) to
>> see what files that the user owns? In a lot of cases I
>> may need to take owner ship of files (because the whole
>> department uses them) to free up space for someone's
>> quota. Does anyone know of a way to find out this
>> information? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

>> CC

Nice solution Barry.  Perhaps adding the "/i" switch to find would be
good.  Also maybe use "/a" on the DIR? (pesky Hidden files!).

1. File owner search...

Ok, I have disk quota setup and everything seems to be
working fine. I have a concern though. When someone
reaches their quota and can not save anything else to the
server; how can I run a query (or some other search) to
see what files that the user owns? In a lot of cases I
may need to take owner ship of files (because the whole
department uses them) to free up space for someone's
quota. Does anyone know of a way to find out this
information? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CC

2. Pine 4.44 and Sendmail with TLS

3. Search for files by owner of the files

4. Display text string with different font style

5. deleted Schema Owner, Domain Owner, and Rid Owner entries

6. Just a dumb question...

7. How search for files by OWNER?

8. Sharing HP LJ 2200d?

9. Can I search for files by Owner?

10. Search Owner's file

11. Search for File Owners

12. search files on volume by owner (like novell's ndir)

13. Search by Owner