Can not connect laptop to network

Post by Tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 00:22:02

I have a local area network that used a workgroup rather
than a domain.  I use a Netgear switch to connect the
computers together with cabeling.  General Statistics below

This applies to all machines

OS - Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
OS for server is Windows 2000 Server

I can get all desktop machines to connect to the network
and to each other and share resources.  For some reason my
laptop sees the work group but doesn't connect to the
workgroup.  I get messages the workgroup is not
accessible, the list of servers for this wrokgroup is not
currently available.

I have everything set up identical to the desktop machines
but still cannot connect to the network.

when you look at the  Entire Network I see the names of
the other machines in the list. and when I do the reverse
from a desktop or server I see the name of the laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can not connect laptop to network

Post by Phil » Tue, 13 May 2003 00:25:34

Quote:> I have a local area network that used a workgroup rather
> than a domain.  I use a Netgear switch to connect the
> computers together with cabeling.  General Statistics below

> This applies to all machines

> OS - Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
> OS for server is Windows 2000 Server

> I can get all desktop machines to connect to the network
> and to each other and share resources.  For some reason my
> laptop sees the work group but doesn't connect to the
> workgroup.  I get messages the workgroup is not
> accessible, the list of servers for this wrokgroup is not
> currently available.

> I have everything set up identical to the desktop machines
> but still cannot connect to the network.

> when you look at the  Entire Network I see the names of
> the other machines in the list. and when I do the reverse
> from a desktop or server I see the name of the laptop.

Do you have identical user name and passwords on the desktops and the
laptop? If you log on to your laptops as "barbara" with password
"tigerlady" you'll need a user account called "barbara" with the password
"tigerlady" on each desktop that you want to access from your laptop. Are
you sure that the laptop is not a member of some domain? Check on My
Computer>> Properties>> Network Identification tab. The reason I ask, is
that I've seen many cases where a users bring home an office laptop that
was part of a domain and then try to connect it to their home LAN.

   -Phil

Can not connect laptop to network

Post by tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 00:55:41

Phil,

My office is in my home.  The Network IDs are the same.  I
am using the Administrator login with the same passwords
on all machines including the server.  The desktops all
connect properly just the laptop doesn't.

The workgroup is identical on all machines.

It sees the workgroup under Microsoft Windos Network but
cannot access.

Post by Tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 01:08:34

One more thing I cannot ping any of the machine names from
the laptop and I cannot ping the laptop from any of the
other machines even though the laptop name shows up in the
network places.

I removed Norton Personal firewall from the laptop
thinking it may have been causing the problem but that
didn't help.

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Tue, 13 May 2003 01:21:12

And you've verified under network identification that the workgroup name is
exactly the same on this computer as on the others?
Are you using DHCP on your server? Are the machines all in the same IP
subnet, exactly?
And all computer names are unique?

> One more thing I cannot ping any of the machine names from
> the laptop and I cannot ping the laptop from any of the
> other machines even though the laptop name shows up in the
> network places.

> I removed Norton Personal firewall from the laptop
> thinking it may have been causing the problem but that
> didn't help.

Post by Phil » Tue, 13 May 2003 01:22:20

Post the output of "ipconfig /all" from the laptop
Post the output of "ipconfig /all" from one of the other machines

Post by Tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 01:48:23

And you've verified under network identification that the
workgroup name is exactly the same on this computer as on
the others?

Reply:  YES

Are you using DHCP on your server? Are the machines all in
the same IP subnet, exactly?

Reply:  Yes using DHCP and I have them all configured to
obtain IP address automatically and obtain dns server
address automatically. Each machines nic card is
configured identically.

And all computer names are unique?

Reply:  Yes each computer has it's own name and I have
even given the NetworkConnections different names so are
not all the same.

Computer Example Names are:

#1  Barbara1
#2  Barbara2
#3  Barbara3
#4  BarbaraServer
#5  BarbaraLaptop

Quote:>>> password "tigerlady" on each desktop that you want to
access from
>>> your laptop. Are you sure that the laptop is not a
member of some
>>> domain? Check on My Computer>> Properties>> Network
Identification
>>> tab. The reason I ask, is that I've seen many cases
where a users
>>> bring home an office laptop that was part of a domain
and then try
>>> to connect it to their home LAN.

>>>   -Phil

>>> .

>.

Can not connect laptop to network

Post by tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:11:55

ok did this on two of the machines including the laptop

machine #1

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara1
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1F-35-
FF
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.51.241
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Laptop

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara3
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Nic #3
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-01-58-
E8
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.66.46
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Computer 3

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara2
Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-33-
99
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.20.79
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Post by Phil » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:24:27

On the laptop
Right click on My Network Places>> Properties
Right click on Local Area Connection>> Properties
Open TCP/IP
Click the Advanced button
Click the WINS tab
Is the option "Enable NetBIOS over TCP" chosen? If not, choose it.
Click OK until all windows are closed. Reboot.

> ok did this on two of the machines including the laptop

> machine #1

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara1
>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1F-35-
> FF
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.51.241
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

> Laptop

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara3
>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
> RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Nic #3
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-01-58-
> E8
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.66.46
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

> Computer 3

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara2
> Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-33-
> 99
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.20.79
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Post by Phil » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:29:58

Something else... The IP that the computers are receiving (169.254.x.x)
is what the computers will get if it cannot find a DHCP server. Since you
have DHCP setup, the PCs are looking for a DHCP server to receive it's
address. Do you have DHCP setup properly on your network? Is it
configured on your server or the Netgear switch?

> ok did this on two of the machines including the laptop

> machine #1

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara1
>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1F-35-
> FF
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.51.241
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

> Laptop

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara3
>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
> RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Nic #3
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-01-58-
> E8
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.66.46
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

> Computer 3

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara2
> Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311
> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-33-
> 99
>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.20.79
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Post by tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:52:16

Enable NetBIOS over TCP  This has already been set.

> [...]

FA311
>> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1F-
35-
>> FF
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :
169.254.51.241
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

>> Laptop

>> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara3
>>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
>>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
>> RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Nic #3
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-01-
58-
>> E8
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :
169.254.66.46
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

>> Computer 3

>> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Barbara2
>> Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR
FA311
>> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-
33-
>> 99
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :
169.254.20.79
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Post by tigerlad » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:56:53

Do you have DHCP setup properly on your network?  I think
so.  It works on all the other machines.

How do I tell if it is configured properly?

One more thing.  We use a wireless network to connect to
the internet.  Each machine including the laptop has two
nic cards.  One connects to the usb as a wireless setup
for internet connection only.  And the other nic card uses
cabeling through the netgear switch.  I have disabled all
the usb wireless cards then tried to do the networking
with just the cabling and still don't get any different
results.

The Windows Server is suposed to be the main system
question why does one show hybrid and other show broadcast
and the laptop show peer-peer?

FA311
>> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1F-
35-
>> FF
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :
169.254.51.241
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

>> Laptop

>> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Barbara3
>>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
>>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
>> RTL8139 Fast Ethernet Nic #3
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-01-
58-
>> E8
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>>         Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . :
169.254.66.46
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>>         DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

>> Computer 3

>> Windows 2000 IP Configuration

>>         Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Barbara2
>> Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>>         IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>         WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

>> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

>>         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
>>         Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR
FA311
>> Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-1D-
33-