VIRUS Alert

Post by Dogber » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:34:43

There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that have
a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO NOT
INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday, and I
received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet mail
server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the virus.

Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.

So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.

Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

VIRUS Alert

Post by Dave Mackle » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:58:36

And Microsoft does not send e:mails about virus alerts as they are not in
that business.

daveM

Quote:> There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that
have
> a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO NOT
> INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday, and
> received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet mail
> server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the virus.

> Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.

> So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
> Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.

> Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

VIRUS Alert

Post by Branden Wolne » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:03:53

The e-mail itself is not a virus alert. It poses as a MS security update
alert.
--
Branden Wolner

> And Microsoft does not send e:mails about virus alerts as they are not in
> that business.

> daveM

> > There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that
> have
> > a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO
NOT
> > INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday,
and
> > received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet
mail
> > server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the
virus.

> > Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.

> > So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
> > Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.

> > Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

VIRUS Alert

Post by Reverend_Ro » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:23:34

yep, i used to get them all the time but now my cable service stops them and
i get a notice that a virus was stopped. lovin' it !!!

Quote:> There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that
have
> a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO NOT
> INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday, and
> received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet mail
> server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the virus.

> Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.

> So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
> Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.

> Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

VIRUS Alert

Post by Bindar Dunda » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:55:33

This particular variant of Gibe started popping up on Feb. 25, 2003.  It is not the first time, nor the last, that someone has used Email purportedly from Microsoft to send out a virus attachment. Read the following Microsoft notice re: software distribution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp

--
George (Bindar Dundat)
Computers don't prevent mistakes, they just make them faster.

| There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that have
| a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO NOT
| INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday, and I
| received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet mail
| server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the virus.
|
| Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.
|
| So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
| Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.
|
| Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

VIRUS Alert

Post by Brian Gaf » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:15:46

Also beware as it has not always got the subject you mention, and somethines
looks like it is from a person claiming you are infected, best install this
etc etc.

Thankfully, most are not autorun.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - Sorry, can't see pictures, graphics are great, but the blind
can't hear them

| There are e-mails going around that are supposedly from Microsoft that
have
| a security patch as an attachment.  This is the W32.Gibe.mm virus.  DO NOT
| INSTALL.  I have received 2 different e-mails with this last Saturday, and
| received 4 or 5 a couple of weeks ago.  Fortunately, my AT&T Worldnet mail
| server has been deleting the attachments because they have been the virus.
|
| Also, I have contacted Microsoft and they are aware of this.
|
| So, as an FYI, if you receive an e-mail that says it is from Microsoft
| Security, with "Security Pack" in the subject, delete it.
|
| Thank you.  We will now resume regularly scheduled Q&A.

---

VIRUS Alert

Post by Bill DeShawn at Gregg Creighton's offic » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 05:31:52

And Microsoft does not send attachments in their emails to the general
population.  If they want you to download a patch, they'll direct you to
http://www.windowsupdate.com

--

Bill DeShawn
office of Gregg B. Creighton, Architect