File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:20:14

Hello,

Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary hard
drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was reading
email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
RAW.

My question is:

Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the information
on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
update issue or some other unrelated problem?

Other Info:

1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
drive)
4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus found.
5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have kept
up to date with all the windows updates.
6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
do not really want to though).

Possible solutions....
One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:01:18

I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
information:

Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

Mabey this can help someone help me.

Thanks,
Matt Brown

Quote:> Hello,

> Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
hard
> drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
reading
> email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
> RAW.

> My question is:

> Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
information
> on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> Other Info:

> 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> drive)
> 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
found.
> 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
> not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
kept
> up to date with all the windows updates.
> 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
> do not really want to though).

> Possible solutions....
> One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
> the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
> of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

1. Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

[...]

2. CIDR compatible routers

3. Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

4. DNS server Backup

5. Hard drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on reboot

6. Make Money With Pay-Pal!! Seen on Oprah!! Very Legit!

7. How do you re-format a hard drive configured for NTFS

8. select data from Dataset ???

9. How do I format hard drive with NTFS

10. How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

11. Changing hard drive format

12. Can I change a hard drive lable without re-formatting?

13. help requested: lost drive/partition - ntfs to 'raw'?