Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by WS » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:06:19

I have a perplexing problem whenever I try to burn an image of my hard
drive to CD-R media with Drive Image 2002 from DOS.  Here is some
background (my apologies in advance if this post is a little lengthy).

I have an IBM 60-gig IDE drive (single FAT 32 partition) hooked to the
primary IDE channel of a SIIG SC-PE4A12 UltraATA 100 PCI controller
card, and my two CD ROM drives daisy chained to the secondary IDE
channel of the SIIG card (44X reader as master, 24X burner as slave).
The motherboard is a MicroStar 6163 Pro (with latest BIOS revision)
and I have disabled the embedded IDE controllers since I'm not using
them.  Per the instructions on SIIG's website, I downloaded and
installed a DOS CD ROM driver for the controller card (cmdatpcd.sys)
and have edited the config.sys and autoexec.bat files on my Windows
95B MS DOS boot disks accordingly (I'm not using Drive Image's Caldera
DOS boot disks since I prefer to boot from MS DOS).  When I shut down
my Windows 2000 Professional environment and reboot into DOS,
everything seems to load fine and I can access both CD ROM drives (D
and E, respectively).  I then start up Drive Image 2002 by entering
PQDI at the A prompt, the program loads, and the initial Drive Image
screen appears.  But here is where the problem occurs.

When I click the Create Image button, and then click the Browse button
on the next screen, my CD ROM drives are not listed in the dropdown
list of available target drives.  The only drives listed are my A
drive and my C drive.  However, if I go back to the initial Drive
Image screen, click the Restore Image button, and then click the
Browse button on the next screen, all of my drives are now displayed
in the dropdown list of available source drives!  I cannot for the
life of me figure out why Drive Image sees my CD ROM drives if I click
"Restore Image" but does not see them if I click "Create Image".

Here is what my config.sys file looks like:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=CMDATPCD.SYS /D:CMD_CD
LASTDRIVE=Z

And these are the only lines in my autoexec.bat file:
LOADHIGH=MSCDEX.EXE /D:CMD_CD
MOUSE

Disk 1 of the Drive Image MS DOS startup disk I created contains these
files:
AUTOEXEC.BAT, CMDATPCD.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, HIMEM.SYS,
IO.SYS, MOUSE.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, and MSDOS.SYS.

And Disk 2 contains these files:
COMMAND.COM, DIHELP.DAT, PQDI.EXE, PQDI.PQG, and PQDI.RTC.

I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

Any suggestions for getting Drive Image to see my CD ROM drives when
they're hooked to my SIIG controller card, so that I can burn an image
of my hard drive, would be greatly appreciated!

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Robert Hancoc » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:18:31

Drive Image probably won't be able to see the drive when it's on the SIIG
controller. The DOS CD-ROM driver will not help you, as it's useless for
writing and Drive Image doesn't use it for write operations. Drive Image
would need to have specific support for the SIIG card for that to work, I
think.

As for it being slow on the onboard controller, the controller definitely
isn't the bottleneck, most burners don't support anything over Ultra DMA/33
anyway, and that's way faster than any writer can write. You might try
selecting a different write speed, if Drive Image has that option.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Quote:> I have a perplexing problem whenever I try to burn an image of my hard

Post by Robert M Jone » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:49:40

> [...]

> files:
> AUTOEXEC.BAT, CMDATPCD.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, HIMEM.SYS,
> IO.SYS, MOUSE.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, and MSDOS.SYS.

> And Disk 2 contains these files:
> COMMAND.COM, DIHELP.DAT, PQDI.EXE, PQDI.PQG, and PQDI.RTC.

> I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
> embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
> DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
> However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
> embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
> back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

> Any suggestions for getting Drive Image to see my CD ROM drives when
> they're hooked to my SIIG controller card, so that I can burn an image
> of my hard drive, would be greatly appreciated!

Are there options for changing the way DI addresses the drives? In
Norton ghost there are various switches to control whether the program
uses IDE access or int13 access etc. Investigate these and experiment. I
had the same problem with Norton Ghost till I got the switches right.
There is fairly good telephone support from Powerquest. I did try them
but their product wouldn't work with my older writer so I had to abandon
them for Norton Ghost.

the DOS drivers are irrelevant - the DI addresses the writer directly -
only uses the drivers to READ and hence restore images. In Norton Ghost
there are 2 separate boot disks - one for making images, and one for
reading/restoring them - the drivers only go on the second one.
--
Robert M Jones
Remove _nospam_ from email address to reply

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Al Peterso » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:51:32

Quote:> > I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
> > embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
> > DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
> > However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
> > embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
> > back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

I can't help you with your other issues but there is a switch you can try
that may help the burn speed.  Add /ide=on switch to the PQDI command e.g.
PQDI /ide=on.

This works when writing the image to another HDD, don't know about to CD
burner.  Before using the switch the write speed was about 80MB/min and went
to 1.2GB with the switch.  My system is ATA100 controllers/HDDs

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Dan » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:22:52

CD burning is very poorly supported in D.I. Save yourself some grief and
write the image to HD, then burn to CD later. Verify the image on CD with
Image Explorer.

> [...]

> files:
> AUTOEXEC.BAT, CMDATPCD.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, HIMEM.SYS,
> IO.SYS, MOUSE.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, and MSDOS.SYS.

> And Disk 2 contains these files:
> COMMAND.COM, DIHELP.DAT, PQDI.EXE, PQDI.PQG, and PQDI.RTC.

> I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
> embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
> DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
> However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
> embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
> back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

> Any suggestions for getting Drive Image to see my CD ROM drives when
> they're hooked to my SIIG controller card, so that I can burn an image
> of my hard drive, would be greatly appreciated!

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Tom Rube » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:56:06

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 WS6 wrote

Quote:>I have a perplexing problem whenever I try to burn an image of my hard
>drive to CD-R media with Drive Image 2002 from DOS.  Here is some
>background (my apologies in advance if this post is a little lengthy).

>I have an IBM 60-gig IDE drive (single FAT 32 partition) hooked to the
>primary IDE channel of a SIIG SC-PE4A12 UltraATA 100 PCI controller
>card, and my two CD ROM drives daisy chained to the secondary IDE
>channel of the SIIG card (44X reader as master, 24X burner as slave).
>The motherboard is a MicroStar 6163 Pro (with latest BIOS revision)
>and I have disabled the embedded IDE controllers since I'm not using
>them.  Per the instructions on SIIG's website, I downloaded and
>installed a DOS CD ROM driver for the controller card (cmdatpcd.sys)
>and have edited the config.sys and autoexec.bat files on my Windows
>95B MS DOS boot disks accordingly (I'm not using Drive Image's Caldera
>DOS boot disks since I prefer to boot from MS DOS).  When I shut down
>my Windows 2000 Professional environment and reboot into DOS,
>everything seems to load fine and I can access both CD ROM drives (D
>and E, respectively).  I then start up Drive Image 2002 by entering
>PQDI at the A prompt, the program loads, and the initial Drive Image
>screen appears.  But here is where the problem occurs.

>When I click the Create Image button, and then click the Browse button
>on the next screen, my CD ROM drives are not listed in the dropdown
>list of available target drives.  The only drives listed are my A
>drive and my C drive.  However, if I go back to the initial Drive
>Image screen, click the Restore Image button, and then click the
>Browse button on the next screen, all of my drives are now displayed
>in the dropdown list of available source drives!  I cannot for the
>life of me figure out why Drive Image sees my CD ROM drives if I click
>"Restore Image" but does not see them if I click "Create Image".

>Here is what my config.sys file looks like:
>DOS=HIGH,UMB
>DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
>DEVICE=CMDATPCD.SYS /D:CMD_CD
>LASTDRIVE=Z

>And these are the only lines in my autoexec.bat file:
>LOADHIGH=MSCDEX.EXE /D:CMD_CD
>MOUSE

I don't think there should be an = after loadhigh.
--
Tom

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Bob K » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 09:41:46

Go buy a hd and backup up to disk. There is no standard for DOS drivers on
CD-R and DI wont help other to tell you to buy the next upgrade. Been there
Done that and got the HD.

Bob

> [...]

> files:
> AUTOEXEC.BAT, CMDATPCD.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, HIMEM.SYS,
> IO.SYS, MOUSE.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, and MSDOS.SYS.

> And Disk 2 contains these files:
> COMMAND.COM, DIHELP.DAT, PQDI.EXE, PQDI.PQG, and PQDI.RTC.

> I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
> embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
> DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
> However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
> embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
> back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

> Any suggestions for getting Drive Image to see my CD ROM drives when
> they're hooked to my SIIG controller card, so that I can burn an image
> of my hard drive, would be greatly appreciated!

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by yada » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 11:03:03

I'll second that. I installed my backup hard disk drive in a HDD Mobile Rack
and use DI2002.
Works great with WinXP. Compression is about 2:1, so a 20g removable backup
hard drive works for
my 40g Barracuda4.

http://www.directron.com/kf32.html

http://www.directron.com/mobilerack.html

> [...]

> > files:
> > AUTOEXEC.BAT, CMDATPCD.SYS, COMMAND.COM, CONFIG.SYS, HIMEM.SYS,
> > IO.SYS, MOUSE.COM, MSCDEX.EXE, and MSDOS.SYS.

> > And Disk 2 contains these files:
> > COMMAND.COM, DIHELP.DAT, PQDI.EXE, PQDI.PQG, and PQDI.RTC.

> > I am able to burn an image if I hook my CD ROM drives into the
> > embedded motherboard controller, create a set of Drive Image Caldera
> > DOS rescue disks, reboot into Caldera DOS, and run Drive Image.
> > However, the burn rate is a mind numbing 30MB/minute since the board's
> > embedded controller is only Ultra DMA/33 (it took nearly 5 hours to
> > back up 6 GB with high compression and verification).

> > Any suggestions for getting Drive Image to see my CD ROM drives when
> > they're hooked to my SIIG controller card, so that I can burn an image
> > of my hard drive, would be greatly appreciated!

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Hans Grube » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:18:04

Quote:> >And these are the only lines in my autoexec.bat file:
> >LOADHIGH=MSCDEX.EXE /D:CMD_CD
> >MOUSE

> I don't think there should be an = after loadhigh.
> --
> Tom

no, my friend, the = is a valid argument, but is not essential.
it must be used in config.sys though (for resident device drivers).

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Hans Grube » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:21:26

Hm, the CD-ROM drive won't be listed in the drop-down list of available targets,
but the burner should be. Don't waste your time over this issue, though. In
Drive Image,
similarly to the situation with Norton Ghost, the in-program cd-burning feature
isn't quite
perfect yet. It is way more reliable to plug in an external hard disk, or
dedicate an internal hard
disk for images and just burn the image from there.

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by WS » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 20:20:14

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post.  I was not
aware that Drive Image only uses the DOS CD ROM driver for restoring
an image and not for creating an image, so that would explain why my
CD ROM drives don't show up as target image drives when I have them
connected to my SIIG controller card.  It's rather obvious now that
Drive Image 2002 (aka Drive Image Version 6) does not support my SIIG
card, so I have decided to take everyone's advice and try to write the
image to another hard drive.  Here now is what I did, along with my
disappointing results (and a few follow-up questions).

Since I have a 10-gig IBM drive from a Windows 98 machine that I no
longer use, I decided to reformat that drive and daisy chain it to the
40-gig IBM drive that's currently connected to the primary IDE channel
on the SIIG controller card (I misspoke in my original post, my C
drive is a 40-gig drive and not a 60-gig drive).  The 10-gig drive now
has a single FAT32 partition and I jumpered it as "slave".  I left the
two CD ROM drives in their original configuration -- daisy chained to
the secondary IDE channel on the SIIG card -- and then powered up in
Windows 2000 to make sure everything was recognized.  All the
connections looked good, with my 10-gig daisy chained drive being
identified as drive "G".  I was able to read and write to all drives.
I then rebooted into DOS and ran Drive Image.  I used the line switch
"PQDI /IDE=ON" as recommended, and when the program loaded I then
tried to write an image of my C drive to my newly reformatted G drive.
 I chose the segment option (650 MB segments) so that I would be able
to burn the image to CD-R disks using my Nero program at a later date.
 I also selected the high compression and verification options.  Drive
Image then started to write the image to my G drive, but the problem I
am now having is one of speed, or rather, the lack thereof.  The image
creation rate was exactly the same as it was when I originally burned
an image directly to CD-R about a week ago: a very disappointing 33
MB/minute.  I canceled the image creation rather than wait it out for
the next several hours.

I then decided to put the 10-gig drive on its own IDE channel (IDE 2
on the SIIG card) rather than having it daisy chained to the 40-gig
drive, with the hope that this would result in a faster image creation
rate.  I then connected the daisy chained CD ROM drives to the
secondary IDE controller embedded on the motherboard and booted up in
DOS.  I once again started Drive Image with the "PQDI /IDE=ON" line
switch and tried to create an image of drive C on drive G (using same
options/parameters as above).  I received the exact same result: an
image creation rate of 33 MB/minute, however, this time I could not
abort the image creation process because the program beat me to it --
it froze and then rebooted my computer.  Fortunately, my Windows 2000
Professional O/S still seems to be working perfectly, along with
everything else on my C drive.

Any thoughts as to why I'm getting the same lousy 33 MB/minute image
creation rate whether I try to create the image on another hard drive
or whether I burn it directly to CD-R?  My SIIG PCI IDE controller
card is UltraATA 100, my round IDE cables are ATA 100, and my IBM hard
drives are ATA 100 (my 7200 RPM 40-gig drive definitely is, and I'm
quite sure that my 5400 RPM 10-gig drive is too).  Is there some DMA
or hard drive setting that I need to change in my BIOS?  Right now
it's set to "auto detect" my drives.

Should I try to uninstall and then reinstall the Drive Image program?

I have heard that some VIA motherboard chipsets have had speed
problems in DOS, but as far as I know my Micro-Star board doesn't have
a VIA chipset (it supposedly uses an Intel 82433BX chipset).  I have
the latest AWARD BIOS installed for this particular motherboard, the
CPU is a 450 MHz Pentium 3 overclocked to 550, and I have 512 MB of
RAM installed.  The built-in IDE controller on the motherboard is
Ultra DMA 33, but as noted above, I'm only using it for the CD ROM
drives (44X reader, 24X burner) and not for the hard drives.

I have read newsgroup posts where some people have reported consistent
image creation rates in the hundreds of MB/minute range with Drive
Image.  It goes without saying that my rate of 33 MB/minute from one
hard drive to another is not only unbearable, it's totally
unacceptable.  Even 100-125 MB/minute would be a huge improvement in
my case.  None of the other Drive Image line switch commands as posted
on Power Quest's website seem applicable to this slow speed issue.
Any suggestions/tips before I throw in the Drive Image 2002 towel?
I'd prefer to stay with Drive Image, but not if it will take me almost
5 hours to image a little over 6 gigs!

Thanks again everyone for the previous replies.

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Crusty Old Bastar » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 21:15:37

Put your CD ROM drive into one of the standard on-board controllers and
drive image will work fine with it!

Quote:> Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post.  I was not
> [...]

> Ultra DMA 33, but as noted above, I'm only using it for the CD ROM
> drives (44X reader, 24X burner) and not for the hard drives.

> I have read newsgroup posts where some people have reported consistent
> image creation rates in the hundreds of MB/minute range with Drive
> Image.  It goes without saying that my rate of 33 MB/minute from one
> hard drive to another is not only unbearable, it's totally
> unacceptable.  Even 100-125 MB/minute would be a huge improvement in
> my case.  None of the other Drive Image line switch commands as posted
> on Power Quest's website seem applicable to this slow speed issue.
> Any suggestions/tips before I throw in the Drive Image 2002 towel?
> I'd prefer to stay with Drive Image, but not if it will take me almost
> 5 hours to image a little over 6 gigs!

> Thanks again everyone for the previous replies.

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Ralph Wade Phillip » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 01:25:24

Howdy!

Quote:> Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post.

<snippage>

Quote:

> Since I have a 10-gig IBM drive from a Windows 98 machine that I no
> longer use, I decided to reformat that drive and daisy chain it to the
> 40-gig IBM drive that's currently connected to the primary IDE channel
> on the SIIG controller card (I misspoke in my original post, my C
> drive is a 40-gig drive and not a 60-gig drive).  The 10-gig drive now
> has a single FAT32 partition and I jumpered it as "slave".  I left the
> two CD ROM drives in their original configuration -- daisy chained to
> the secondary IDE channel on the SIIG card -- and then powered up in
> Windows 2000 to make sure everything was recognized.  All the
> connections looked good, with my 10-gig daisy chained drive being
> identified as drive "G".  I was able to read and write to all drives.
> I then rebooted into DOS and ran Drive Image.  I used the line switch
> "PQDI /IDE=ON" as recommended, and when the program loaded I then
> tried to write an image of my C drive to my newly reformatted G drive.
>  I chose the segment option (650 MB segments) so that I would be able
> to burn the image to CD-R disks using my Nero program at a later date.
>  I also selected the high compression and verification options.  Drive
> Image then started to write the image to my G drive, but the problem I
> am now having is one of speed, or rather, the lack thereof.  The image
> creation rate was exactly the same as it was when I originally burned
> an image directly to CD-R about a week ago: a very disappointing 33
> MB/minute.  I canceled the image creation rather than wait it out for
> the next several hours.

        This is due to the "High Compression".  Try it with "Medium
Compression" or even "No Compression" (given that the drive used space is
under the target drive's 10G) and see how it flies!

        (Why?  The compression routines in Ghost, and I presume DriveImage,
are optimized for EXTRACTION, not COMPRESSION.  I can do a no-compression
backup at 500MB/min, but a medium on a P3-450 might drop down to 100MB/min,
on the same system.  A high, or Z9?  More like 5MB/minute.  But they all
extract at over 500MB/min, given HD/HD transfers.)

        RwP

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by WS » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:38:35

Quote:> Howdy!

> > The image
> > creation rate was exactly the same as it was when I originally burned
> > an image directly to CD-R about a week ago: a very disappointing 33
> > MB/minute.

>         This is due to the "High Compression".  Try it with "Medium
> Compression" or even "No Compression" (given that the drive used space is
> under the target drive's 10G) and see how it flies!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to create an image of drive C and
save it to drive G, this time using the "low compression" setting, but
I received the same slow image creation rate.  I then aborted the
image creation process and tried to create the image once again, this
time using the "no compression" setting, but as before, I received the
same slow image creation rate.  There is obviously something wrong
somewhere.  The image creation rate peaks at around 30 MB/minute
whether I use compression or not, whether I use the image verification
options or not, whether I segment the image into 650 MB chunks or not,
whether I save the image to another hard drive or whether I burn it
directly to CD-R, and whether Drive Image is started from a true MS
DOS environment or booted up from Windows 2000 with the program's
built-in Caldera DOS virtual floppy disk.  Another thing I have
noticed is that when I try to cancel the image creation process by
moving my mouse pointer on top of the Cancel button and clicking
Cancel, the mouse is very slow to respond.  It takes approximately 10
seconds for the mouse to respond to initial inputs (sometimes it seems
as if the mouse is hung up, but then it finally moves across the
screen).

At this point I don't know what other options to try other than
uninstalling and then reinstalling Drive Image 2002.  Perhaps the
program, or a portion of it, was somehow corrupted during the
installation process, although I doubt it since I was able to burn an
image to CD-R last week.

Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

Post by Rod Spee » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:39:51

You sure the PQDI /IDE=ON is actually getting executed ?
In that situation it isnt hard to add that to the
wrong file,  not the one thats actually being used.

If you are sure its getting executed, ask PowerQuest about it.

> > Howdy!

> > > The image
> > > creation rate was exactly the same as it was when I originally burned
> > > an image directly to CD-R about a week ago: a very disappointing 33
> > > MB/minute.

> >         This is due to the "High Compression".  Try it with "Medium
> > Compression" or even "No Compression" (given that the drive used space is
> > under the target drive's 10G) and see how it flies!

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to create an image of drive C and
> save it to drive G, this time using the "low compression" setting, but
> I received the same slow image creation rate.  I then aborted the
> image creation process and tried to create the image once again, this
> time using the "no compression" setting, but as before, I received the
> same slow image creation rate.  There is obviously something wrong
> somewhere.  The image creation rate peaks at around 30 MB/minute
> whether I use compression or not, whether I use the image verification
> options or not, whether I segment the image into 650 MB chunks or not,
> whether I save the image to another hard drive or whether I burn it
> directly to CD-R, and whether Drive Image is started from a true MS
> DOS environment or booted up from Windows 2000 with the program's
> built-in Caldera DOS virtual floppy disk.  Another thing I have
> noticed is that when I try to cancel the image creation process by
> moving my mouse pointer on top of the Cancel button and clicking
> Cancel, the mouse is very slow to respond.  It takes approximately 10
> seconds for the mouse to respond to initial inputs (sometimes it seems
> as if the mouse is hung up, but then it finally moves across the
> screen).

> At this point I don't know what other options to try other than
> uninstalling and then reinstalling Drive Image 2002.  Perhaps the
> program, or a portion of it, was somehow corrupted during the
> installation process, although I doubt it since I was able to burn an
> image to CD-R last week.

1. Computer will not recognize my CD-ROM, Zip Drive and my CD-RW drives, please help..

Hi Chris,

Windows 98 doesn't like you to load DOS drivers, especially CDROM drivers from Autoexec.bat/Config.sys. This is the likely cause of your problem. The steps I would follow are:

1. Carefully review the files above. You can either look at them using NotePad, or by running msconfig.exe (System Configuration Utility.) A clean Win98 installation doesn't doesn't even use these files. The problems arise when you either have left over junk from a Win95 installation (which Win98 usually REMs out) or, more usually, you have installed a device using outdated software that assumes you'd like to have DOS drivers installed. If you are not familiar with these files, you can open them in NotePad, and copy/paste the contents into a reply to this thread. We'll have a look. Or, you can usually get away with simply unchecking the appropriate boxes under "Selective Startup" in MSCONFIG.

2. The above will stop the problem from recreating itself, but it isn't likely to fix it. For that, what you have to do is go into Safe Mode (boot while holding down the Ctrl key, choose the appropriate item from the menu) then go to Device Manager and remove ALL drives and IDE controllers. While you're there, check for any other "Unknown", or Problem devices, and delete them also. Lastly, check to see if *any* devices are duplicated, and if so, remove *all* instances of those devices. Reboot, and let Windows reinstall.

3. In some cases, nothing short of a reinstall of Windows over itself will finally resolve the Real-Mode issue. If this turns out to be the case, come on back for some hints on that procedure.

The above covers the usual culprits. Bad BIOS settings, MoBo or other hardware problems, issues involving large HDDs, multiple drive configurations... These, too, can be involved. But look at the above, first.

Good luck,

Gary Terhune
Microsoft MVP-DTS

2. Expanded BDM and 68360 Quads

3. Drive Image 2002 slow image creation with SIIG card and overclocked CPU

4. Help! - Getting a disk serial number

5. can not access CD ROM drive in MS DOS mode

6. Win 98 won't play assigned sounds

7. My PC does not see my drive d: and my cd-rom drive.

8. GREAT Layer Translator & Manager

9. How to change the CD ROM and CD-RW to Y drive Z Drive

10. Drive Image Error #1381 - Image file not found

11. Lost both CD-ROM drives after new additional CD ROM installation

12. CD-ROM Drive won't play CD-ROMS

13. App requires CD-ROM to run, but CD-ROM drive letter changed