Dual boot w/ XP & 2k Pro but want to upgrade to 2k Server

Dual boot w/ XP & 2k Pro but want to upgrade to 2k Server

Post by Dan » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:20:22

Hello everybody,
   Right now I dual boot with one hard drive divided into
two partitions.  The first partition has XP Pro on it and
the second partition has 2k Pro on it.  I know when you
want to dual boot you have to install the oldest OS
first.  I want to upgrade my 2k Pro to 2k Server.  Will
that mess up the XP parition and cause XP not to start.

Thanks,
Dan

Dual boot w/ XP & 2k Pro but want to upgrade to 2k Server

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:00:44

There is no supported upgrade path from any version of workstation to any
version of server. After you install Windows 2000 server you'll need to
repair the XP boot sector. Boot your XP CD-Rom, from within the recovery
console you can run
fixboot

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

> Hello everybody,
>    Right now I dual boot with one hard drive divided into
> two partitions.  The first partition has XP Pro on it and
> the second partition has 2k Pro on it.  I know when you
> want to dual boot you have to install the oldest OS
> first.  I want to upgrade my 2k Pro to 2k Server.  Will
> that mess up the XP parition and cause XP not to start.

> Thanks,
> Dan

1. Dual boot Windows 2k Pro with 2k Pro?

I need to find out if it possible to dual boot Windows
2000 Pro with another Windows 2000 Pro on the same disk
but different partitions.  The problem I've run into when
trying to install the second OS is that the winnt32 will
not run under Windows.  I am assuming this is because it
detects the same version of the OS.  We run two (of many)
different VPN clients here in support of customers and
have found that these two in particular will not coexist
on the same desktop.  I have been asked to look into dual
booting these few desktops to get around this.  We don't
want to use XP and we can't use NT because of the
limitations of the type of hardware we have for these
particular workstations.  They only allow for USB input
devices.  Windows 98 is out of the question due to
security.  Help!!!

Thanks in advance!

David

2. Problems with info and .lib files

3. 9x & 2K Dual Boot to Single 2K Boot?

4. centre point of nlfilter

5. Dual Boot, Win 2K Server and Win XP Pro?

6. Dual IP Ranges on One WAN (T1) Interface

7. BIOS menu not displayed on laptop in dual boot 2K server/XP Pro

8. host lookup on start

9. Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

10. To create ME/2K Dual boot, can I purchase 2K Upgrade?

11. 2K Server, Active Directory, XP and 2K Pro client problems

12. 2K Server upgrade FROM 2K pro

13. Upgrading Windows 2k pro to 2k Ad Server