Internet Connection Sharing towards an airport connection with Apple Powerbook

Internet Connection Sharing towards an airport connection with Apple Powerbook

Post by Erik the Norma » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:20:09

Present situation:

Windows 2000 Profesional PC connected to an Apple PowerBook thru airport.

One NIC of the PC is connected to the airport base station with a crosswired
cable.

The other NIC is connected to an ADSL modem for Internet connection.

When we use a proxy programm like Winproxy 3.0 on the PC for Internet
Sharing, we can reach the Internet on the Apple PowerBook for browsing or
email

But some programms like Napster or iMesh don't seem to work thru this
connection.

We checked all settings on the Apple and the PC, aswell the settings of the
Winproxy application.

We removed the Winproxy application from the PC and installed Internet
Connection Sharing within Win2000 pro. Which starts the DHCP service.

We then changed all settings on the airport base station so that it gets its
IP address automatically from DHCP.

That worked fine

The NIC of the PC was set to 192.168.0.1

With the PING command we could reach the base station and the Apple
PowerBook.

Both replied good

IPCONFIG/ALL gave good results also.

But, although all nodes replied on the PING command, it was not possible to
browse the Internet or to send or receive email.

We installed ICS on Win2000 a few times before but all with PC(win) clients
and it worked fine

We never connected an Apple client thru airport to the Internet via ICS
though.

We even tried the AppleTalk protocol although i know that this isn't
nessesery because both PC and Apple talk thru TCP/IP

Does anyone know the answer to our problem

T.I.A.

Tino Wintershoven

The Netherlands

Internet Connection Sharing towards an airport connection with Apple Powerbook

Post by Noma » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:52:29

I'm not familiar with the Airport Base station and have wondered why you
used a cross-over cable.  I thought it behaves more like a rounter than
another IP client.

It seems that you've done everything properly, at least in theory.  In
reality however there might be a couple of Win2K bugs in the way so check
out Microsoft technet.

Anyway, my experience with ICS on any Windows platform is that it's flaky.
If you don't mind doing a clean reinstall of your Win2K PC, please do so and
see if it fixes it.

If you do mind, you could borrow another laptop and connect it to your LAN,
see if it connects to the internet properly, so we could eliminate if it's a
problem with the Win2K PC.

A couple of things to check on the Win2K PC:

1. ICS uses NAT so I believe IP routing should be disabled.

2. Check if your ADSL NIC is set to share the internet connection.  This
should've been taken cared of by the ICS setup but you never know.

3. Try pinging yahoo.com from the powerbook.

4. Check if your Powerbook has the same DNS servers as your Win2K PC.
Basically check if DHCP is working.

I don't know anyting about Macs yet but I'm very familiar with Win NT/2000.

Let me know how it goes.

Quote:> Present situation:

> Windows 2000 Profesional PC connected to an Apple PowerBook thru airport.

> One NIC of the PC is connected to the airport base station with a
crosswired
> cable.

> The other NIC is connected to an ADSL modem for Internet connection.

> When we use a proxy programm like Winproxy 3.0 on the PC for Internet
> Sharing, we can reach the Internet on the Apple PowerBook for browsing or
> email

> But some programms like Napster or iMesh don't seem to work thru this
> connection.

> We checked all settings on the Apple and the PC, aswell the settings of
the
> Winproxy application.

> We removed the Winproxy application from the PC and installed Internet
> Connection Sharing within Win2000 pro. Which starts the DHCP service.

> We then changed all settings on the airport base station so that it gets
its
> IP address automatically from DHCP.

> That worked fine

> The NIC of the PC was set to 192.168.0.1

> With the PING command we could reach the base station and the Apple
> PowerBook.

> Both replied good

> IPCONFIG/ALL gave good results also.

> But, although all nodes replied on the PING command, it was not possible
> browse the Internet or to send or receive email.

> We installed ICS on Win2000 a few times before but all with PC(win)
clients
> and it worked fine

> We never connected an Apple client thru airport to the Internet via ICS
> though.

> We even tried the AppleTalk protocol although i know that this isn't
> nessesery because both PC and Apple talk thru TCP/IP

> Does anyone know the answer to our problem

> T.I.A.

> Tino Wintershoven

> The Netherlands

1. Internet Connection Sharing: Client permanently requests Build-up of Internet Connection

Hello,

I have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enabled on my Win98SE PC (so called
"Host") which is connected via a 100 MBit Lan to a Win 2000 Prof PC (so
called "Client") from where I want to use the ICS.

The ICS works fine, but what I observe is that my Host is frequently (every
few minutes) being connected to the Internet due to corresponding requests
of the client. The only way to get rid of this problem is to disable ICS
manually on the Host unless it is definitely required to be used by the
Client.

Anybody out there who is able to help.

Best Regards

    Th. Wahl

2. Error on Setup... PLEASE HELP!!!

3. Internet Connection Sharing only allows 2 simultaneous connections

4. Mouse Virus

5. Internet Connection Sharing - Win2K machine to use Win98 connection

6. POP3: Mail-Body cannot be read

7. Reposting : Internet Connection Sharing only allowing 2 simultaneous connections per machine

8. Obj-C and GNOME.

9. Internet Connection Sharing - How to Have Client Drop the Connection

10. Internet Connection Sharing and Dial In Connection question

11. Internet Connection Sharing does not work over Dial up connection

12. Internet Sharing Connection + FTP Connection (in PASV mode) ???

13. Internet Connection Sharing and Direct Cable Connection