netbios name <> DNS zone

Post by Tag » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:47:16

Are there any issues involved when the Netbios name of the domain doesn't
equal the DNS zone name?  We want to 'Child.Company.com' as our w2k root
domain, but want to use 'Company' as the Netbios name.  Will this cause
unneeded confusion down the line, especially because the Netbios name is the
same as the parent zone of the w2k zone?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

netbios name <> DNS zone

Post by Roger Abel » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:42:44

OK Tag - something you need to get straight here is that
there are two (non-DNS) domain names.  The domain name
and the downlevel domain name.  Are you referring to the
downlevel domain name as the domain's NetBIOS name ??
If instead you are referring to the domain name and want it
to be different from the DNS domain name, then IMO you
are just planning on making you life more complicated.
For this later see: TechNet article Q258503
   DNS Registration Errors 5788 and 5789 When DNS Domain
   and Active Directory Domain Name Differ_files

Quote:> Are there any issues involved when the Netbios name of the domain doesn't
> equal the DNS zone name?  We want to 'Child.Company.com' as our w2k root
> domain, but want to use 'Company' as the Netbios name.  Will this cause
> unneeded confusion down the line, especially because the Netbios name is
the
> same as the parent zone of the w2k zone?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

netbios name <> DNS zone

Post by Tag » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:32:42

I was referring to the downlevel domain name, so I'll rephrase.
We're creating our root w2k domain in 'corp.company.com' to keep AD records
out of the existing internal zone.   Where normally I'd use the downlevel
name of 'corp', there are those that would like to use 'company'.  I'm
wondering if there are any long term problems with this besides the
confusion of using 'company' when logging on, but seeing 'corp.company.com'
when using any AD tools.
Our DNS domain name is the same as the AD domain name, so we don't have the
the Q258503 problem.
Thanks for the time.

> OK Tag - something you need to get straight here is that
> there are two (non-DNS) domain names.  The domain name
> and the downlevel domain name.  Are you referring to the
> downlevel domain name as the domain's NetBIOS name ??
> If instead you are referring to the domain name and want it
> to be different from the DNS domain name, then IMO you
> are just planning on making you life more complicated.
> For this later see: TechNet article Q258503
>    DNS Registration Errors 5788 and 5789 When DNS Domain
>    and Active Directory Domain Name Differ_files

> > Are there any issues involved when the Netbios name of the domain
doesn't
> > equal the DNS zone name?  We want to 'Child.Company.com' as our w2k root
> > domain, but want to use 'Company' as the Netbios name.  Will this cause
> > unneeded confusion down the line, especially because the Netbios name is
> the
> > same as the parent zone of the w2k zone?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

netbios name <> DNS zone

Post by Roger Abel » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:18:44

Thanks for the clarification.  I am not aware of issues you would
be heading toward in that case.  Perhaps someone else does.
You could also define the UPN suffix as company.com so users

their login, which might then also correspond to their email.

> I was referring to the downlevel domain name, so I'll rephrase.
> We're creating our root w2k domain in 'corp.company.com' to keep AD
records
> out of the existing internal zone.   Where normally I'd use the downlevel
> name of 'corp', there are those that would like to use 'company'.  I'm
> wondering if there are any long term problems with this besides the
> confusion of using 'company' when logging on, but seeing
'corp.company.com'
> when using any AD tools.
> Our DNS domain name is the same as the AD domain name, so we don't have
the
> the Q258503 problem.
> Thanks for the time.

> > OK Tag - something you need to get straight here is that
> > there are two (non-DNS) domain names.  The domain name
> > and the downlevel domain name.  Are you referring to the
> > downlevel domain name as the domain's NetBIOS name ??
> > If instead you are referring to the domain name and want it
> > to be different from the DNS domain name, then IMO you
> > are just planning on making you life more complicated.
> > For this later see: TechNet article Q258503
> >    DNS Registration Errors 5788 and 5789 When DNS Domain
> >    and Active Directory Domain Name Differ_files

> > > Are there any issues involved when the Netbios name of the domain
> doesn't
> > > equal the DNS zone name?  We want to 'Child.Company.com' as our w2k
root
> > > domain, but want to use 'Company' as the Netbios name.  Will this
cause
> > > unneeded confusion down the line, especially because the Netbios name
is
> > the
> > > same as the parent zone of the w2k zone?  Any thoughts are
appreciated.

1. <<<<<ARGGGGGGG>>>>>>>

    I just installed the retail version of win2000 professional, and after
little more than a week of use it no longer boots.  Now it justs goes
through startup and the splash screens but when it gets to the blue screen
(not the bluescreen of death, but the normal logon background) no logon box
pops up.  The mouse works and it doesn't freeze, the os just won't log me
on.  I've tried ctrl+alt+del and getting to the task manager, that doesn't
work.  I've tried booting in all of the safe modes and debug mode, but those
don't work either.
    The only patches I installed for it were my voodoo3 3000's normal
release drivers and the games/multimedia compatibility update from
windowsupdate.microsoft.com, and those were running fine for the few days my
box still worked.
    I have NO CLUE why this thing just went skitzo, and I really don't want
to reinstall windows yet another time.  Anyone got any ideas???

My box is as follows:

SOYO SY5EMA with recent BIOS
300mhz AMD K6-2

WD 1.4gig HD on UDMA primary master
Creative 36x on UDMA secondary master

2. asp expires

3. <<<<<<<<<<<Install VB6 program in WIN2K -------->>>>>>>>>>

4. FS: Solaris Server 2.5.1

5. VIRUS ALERT>>>>><<<<>>>

6. MRTG (SNMP) through a PIX

7. <<<<< IIS5 and ADODB >>>>>

8. Auctioning Timex/Sinclair ZX-80,81 & 1000 collection

10. <<<< Error Reading Files >>>>

11. >>>>Help with a dialup problem<<<<TIA

12. >>>> Problem with Zip Drive and Win98 <<<<

13. >>>>>>Other servers<<<<<<<<<