Formatting Hard Drive with Win 2000 Professional

Formatting Hard Drive with Win 2000 Professional

Post by Curtis Holde » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:10:10

I am trying to reformat my hard drive with windows 2000
and keep getting an error message that says FORMAT.COM.exe
has created an error.  What does this mean.  How do I go
about formatting my C Drive.  Please somebody help me.  I
have tried everything I can think of to reformat my drive
and nothing seems to work.

Formatting Hard Drive with Win 2000 Professional

Post by Dave Patric » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:33:52

To reinstall Windows 2000 either boot the CD-Rom or boot the Windows 2000
setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k
CD-rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

To install something else and to wipe the drive some ways include; boot a
win98 startup disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information found (as
long as NTFS is primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD or setup disks and
when you get to the point,
delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found, then abort the
install. Or use a utility named delpart. Once removed you can partition and
format the drive as you wish.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/re...

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000]