Service pack questions

Post by AJP » Thu, 17 May 2001 13:51:12

I have a few questions regarding the service packs:

1. If I do a new install, should I apply the service pack afterwards or do
one of those integrated installs? What is better and why?

2. If I don't do an integrated install, should I first install all drivers
and then the SP or SP first and drivers afterwards?

3. I downloaded the SP2 already even though it isn't already released by
microsoft. Is there a way to verify if the version I got is indeed the final
version when it finally gets officially released by comparing a serial
number or somthing?

Thanks for any help,

AJP

Service pack questions

Post by D B » Thu, 17 May 2001 14:41:52

Ed
http://desertbluecreations.com
Web Design "For the Rest of Us"

> I have a few questions regarding the service packs:

> 1. If I do a new install, should I apply the service pack afterwards or do
> one of those integrated installs? What is better and why?

Whichever you find easier.  If you plan to install on multiple machines, or reinstall often, then taking the time to make a slipstream is worthwhile.  If not, it doesn't really matter.

Quote:> 2. If I don't do an integrated install, should I first install all drivers
> and then the SP or SP first and drivers afterwards?

Officially, it shouldn't matter.  After all, when you install a SP on an existing system, all your drivers are in place already.  Personally, I would opt to bring the system to it's final state, with all Service Packs, before I start installing drivers, external devices, and tweaking things.

Quote:> 3. I downloaded the SP2 already even though it isn't already released by
> microsoft. Is there a way to verify if the version I got is indeed the final
> version when it finally gets officially released by comparing a serial
> number or somthing?

It was posted on the MS site, and there were numerous unofficial announcements by reputable companies.  If MS makes any fixes or changes before making it "official," it'll make web headlines.  I've installed it myself, as have many others, and issues are scarce.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Service pack questions

Post by AJP » Fri, 18 May 2001 03:08:18

Hi Ed!

thanks alot for your help on both questions.

My very best regards,

AJP

1. Service Pack Question

Where can I find out when a service pack was applied? I know the registry of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CSDVersion\ shows which, but I believe the install date there applies to the O/S install.

Dan Rosenberger
DataCom, Inc.
219.764.2599

2. Anyone tried to use slackware w/ cablemodem?

3. Service Pack question

4. How Do They Do That? - Break up a graphic into small ones but put them together?

5. SFC, WFP, and Service Pack Question

6. Distributing clients and software

7. Service Pack Question

8. A.I. source code in Basic language