Can't see thumbnail in thumbnail view

Post by Alan Kelse » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:49:23

Choosing the thumbnail view yields only icons for the
associated program.  The registry entries correspond with
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q243401 and Microsoft
Knowledge Base Article - Q192573.

Running Office XP with Photo Editor installed.

Please help - thanks.

Can't see thumbnail in thumbnail view

Post by George Heste » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:52:45

Go to Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types | and select
the .jpg file type.  Click Advanced if you have it.  If not click Restore.
Highlight open and click Edit.  Tell us the program that is used to open the
file.

Do you have ANY other Image program installed.  The likes of Adobe
Photoshop?

Can you choose some other folder that has images in it and View it as
thumbnails?

--
George Hester
______________________________

Quote:> Choosing the thumbnail view yields only icons for the
> associated program.  The registry entries correspond with
> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q243401 and Microsoft
> Knowledge Base Article - Q192573.

> Running Office XP with Photo Editor installed.

> Please help - thanks.

Can't see thumbnail in thumbnail view

Post by Alan Kelse » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 20:17:22

Program used to open: Viewprint
I removed all file associations for .jpg and then just got
the generic icon, still no thumbnail.

Yes, Adobe Photoshop and many others installed.

All folders behave the same.

I can see a thumbnail for .mix and .eps plus a few
others.  It seems that I cannot see thumbnails for the
more common file types (gif, jpe, tif, bmp, etc.).

Post by George Heste » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:02:15

Your issue is Adobe Photoshop.  If you had never installed it this issue
would not occur.  How fix?  Can't as far as I know.  Uninstalling Adobe will
do nothing.  You followed all the articles.  What more can you do?  You will
likely start to lose icon associations in the Control Panel and in
Administrative Tools.

--
George Hester
______________________________

> Program used to open: Viewprint
> I removed all file associations for .jpg and then just got
> the generic icon, still no thumbnail.

> Yes, Adobe Photoshop and many others installed.

> All folders behave the same.

> I can see a thumbnail for .mix and .eps plus a few
> others.  It seems that I cannot see thumbnails for the
> more common file types (gif, jpe, tif, bmp, etc.).

1. Viewing thumbnails - or rather no longer viewing thumbnails.

Visit my web site, http://members.xoom.com/dbknox/registry/index.htm and go to the Utilities section.  Look for Repair Image Preview and Repair Thumbnail View.  These links will take you to download and instruction pages for small VB Script utilities that will correct the necessary file associations.  For Thumbnail view, its a good idea to run both as bad associations in the Image Preview part can break Thumbnails as well.

--
Regards,
Doug Knox, Microsoft MVPDTS

2. Game programming book

3. icon hides file images in thumbnail and "mini-thumbnails" (list) views

4. help with Internet Connection sharing.

5. how do you change the size of the the thumbnails in thumbnail view

6. Behaviour of sendmail when the disk is full

7. Thumbnail View Feature for Creating Thumbnails?

8. Unknown file type &AE6

9. Here's a way to view Thumbnails in folder view!

10. Lost thumbnails; thumbnails will not open

11. No Thumbnail for JPG but thumbnail for JPEG

12. Explorer - Thumbnail View - Pics w/ Jpg ext don't work

13. can't preview in thumbnail view