2000 Pro user passwords age

Post by Pete Mile » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:45:37

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to set a time to live for an individual user in
Win 2000 Pro.

Here's the scenario. I have 8 users, all permanent staff and 2 users
temporary. I need to give the permanent staff a password which doesn't
expire but the temp staff a 90 day password. I have set up 2 groups, 1 for
permanent and 1 for temporary.

Quite simply, I cannot see how to give individual users a time-to-live
password. I've been all through the help files and am now completely
confused.

TIA

Pete

2000 Pro user passwords age

Post by Antonio La » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:09:45

Win2K Pro is not a server and would not allow password policy on per
user basis.....Antonio

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying to figure out how to set a time to live for an individual
user in
> Win 2000 Pro.

> Here's the scenario. I have 8 users, all permanent staff and 2 users
> temporary. I need to give the permanent staff a password which
doesn't
> expire but the temp staff a 90 day password. I have set up 2 groups,
1 for
> permanent and 1 for temporary.

> Quite simply, I cannot see how to give individual users a
time-to-live
> password. I've been all through the help files and am now completely
> confused.

> TIA

> Pete

2000 Pro user passwords age

Post by Bruce Staehl » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:38:02

You didn't state whether you are in a workgroup or a domain.  If you are
in a workgroup, you have to set each computer's local security account
policy to expire passwords in 90 days, then for your permanent staff,
set their individual user accounts so the passwords won't expire.  You
can get to the local security policies in the Administrative Tools folder.

If you are in a domain you can use the domain group policy to set the
password age and exclude the permanent users from applying that policy.
-Bruce

> Hi,

> I'm trying to figure out how to set a time to live for an individual user in
> Win 2000 Pro.

> Here's the scenario. I have 8 users, all permanent staff and 2 users
> temporary. I need to give the permanent staff a password which doesn't
> expire but the temp staff a 90 day password. I have set up 2 groups, 1 for
> permanent and 1 for temporary.

> Quite simply, I cannot see how to give individual users a time-to-live
> password. I've been all through the help files and am now completely
> confused.

> TIA

> Pete

2000 Pro user passwords age

Post by Pete Mile » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:00:22

Thanks.

Pete

> Win2K Pro is not a server and would not allow password policy on per
> user basis.....Antonio

> > Hi,

> > I'm trying to figure out how to set a time to live for an individual
> user in
> > Win 2000 Pro.

> > Here's the scenario. I have 8 users, all permanent staff and 2 users
> > temporary. I need to give the permanent staff a password which
> doesn't
> > expire but the temp staff a 90 day password. I have set up 2 groups,
> 1 for
> > permanent and 1 for temporary.

> > Quite simply, I cannot see how to give individual users a
> time-to-live
> > password. I've been all through the help files and am now completely
> > confused.

> > TIA

> > Pete

2000 Pro user passwords age

Post by Pete Mile » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:01:21

Cheers Bruce. I'm using a workgroup for this exercise and your answer seems
just what I want. Thanks.

Pete