Can't Join a Domain

Can't Join a Domain

Post by Jody » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 04:17:39



I'm trying to attach to a domain.  Whenever I enter in the domain name I
get, "The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted."  I
can ping the server, connect to the internet, I just can't join the domain.

I have gone to MS Support and tried their fix of removing the DNS entry then
attaching then relisting the DNS.  But that doesn't work either.

Any help or suggestions??

Thanks...

 
 
 

Can't Join a Domain

Post by Jody » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 04:58:04


Ok, as an update I have found an article on the support site that says I
need NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.  I did that and now I get a message saying
Duplicate Names on Network.  I've checked and I promise there are no
conflicting names.  I even changed this computer name to something
completely different than the naming scheme for our network and I still get
that message.  So...any help?

Jody


Quote:> I'm trying to attach to a domain.  Whenever I enter in the domain name I
> get, "The specified domain either does not exist or cannot be contacted."
I
> can ping the server, connect to the internet, I just can't join the
domain.

> I have gone to MS Support and tried their fix of removing the DNS entry
then
> attaching then relisting the DNS.  But that doesn't work either.

> Any help or suggestions??

> Thanks...


 
 
 

Can't Join a Domain

Post by J-F Poulio » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 05:06:02


You should try to open servermanager on the server and
remove any computers in there with the name of the
computer you're trying to join to the domain.  Then retry
joining the domain...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Ok, as an update I have found an article on the support
site that says I
>need NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.  I did that and now I

get a message saying
Quote:>Duplicate Names on Network.  I've checked and I promise
there are no
>conflicting names.  I even changed this computer name to
something
>completely different than the naming scheme for our

network and I still get
>that message.  So...any help?

>Jody



>> I'm trying to attach to a domain.  Whenever I enter in
the domain name I
>> get, "The specified domain either does not exist or

cannot be contacted."
Quote:>I
>> can ping the server, connect to the internet, I just
can't join the
>domain.

>> I have gone to MS Support and tried their fix of

removing the DNS entry
Quote:>then
>> attaching then relisting the DNS.  But that doesn't
work either.

>> Any help or suggestions??

>> Thanks...

>.

 
 
 

Can't Join a Domain

Post by Jody » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:05:02


I've tried that also.  I think there might be a setting somewhere but I'm
just not sure where.


> You should try to open servermanager on the server and
> remove any computers in there with the name of the
> computer you're trying to join to the domain.  Then retry
> joining the domain...

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Ok, as an update I have found an article on the support
> site that says I
> >need NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled.  I did that and now I
> get a message saying
> >Duplicate Names on Network.  I've checked and I promise
> there are no
> >conflicting names.  I even changed this computer name to
> something
> >completely different than the naming scheme for our
> network and I still get
> >that message.  So...any help?

> >Jody



> >> I'm trying to attach to a domain.  Whenever I enter in
> the domain name I
> >> get, "The specified domain either does not exist or
> cannot be contacted."
> >I
> >> can ping the server, connect to the internet, I just
> can't join the
> >domain.

> >> I have gone to MS Support and tried their fix of
> removing the DNS entry
> >then
> >> attaching then relisting the DNS.  But that doesn't
> work either.

> >> Any help or suggestions??

> >> Thanks...

> >.

 
 
 

1. can't join domain 'the network path not found'

I have a Win2K server (domain controller) with several client PCs happily
joined to the domain. I have a laptop and a PC both of which has been
configured as a workgroup member but which has been functioning on the
network for some time without joining the domain - through maintaining
synchronised user/pwds.

I want to have them join the domain but after entering a valid user / pwd to
allow the join I get the message.

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain...
The network path was not found.

What is this trying to tell me?? Anyone help?

Thanks

Ian

2. net.views ... benchmarks ... responses

3. win2k domain won't let winNT machines join domain

4. VolumeLevels Have Changed

5. getting incorrect ip address when pinging domain; can't join as child domain

6. Page Count on Brother Laser

7. How to grant 'rights to join domain' to a particular group ?

8. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 11450

9. Current Win2000 domain to join new domain as a child domain

10. Join member server to NT domain, then join 2003 dom.

11. Joining and re-joining domains

12. Joining or not joining a domain

13. Removing a server from 2000 domain native domain and then join an NT 4 domain?