Terminal Services over fvs318 VPN

Post by matt » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:23:51

Ok so I am new to VPN's so please be gentle on me...

We have purchased 2 netgear FVS318 VPN firewall routers to connect a remote
office to our SBS2000 LAN.
I have configured the fvs318's and established the VPN, however I am unable
to connect to the Terminal server. By the way, The FVS router is connected
to the SBS LAN directly, not to the external interface of the SBS box.

The main objective is to connect to the TS however I am also unable to
browse the SBS LAN.

The confusing part here is that I can however ping (by IP or name) the
servers from the remote site and also ping (by IP or name) the remote
workstations from the SBS LAN. This tells me that the fault is probably not
a routing or resolution problem...
When I try to logon to the domain from through the VPN the system seems to
stall at "Loading personal settings".

What have I missed?

The SBS server runs DNS and WINS, I have added these to the workstations on
the remote LAN.

Other WAN links I have setup have been ISDN and my understanding is that
this should behave the same except no broadcast traffic will go over the
VPN.

If you need anymore info please ask...

Thanks for any advise.

Matt

Terminal Services over fvs318 VPN

Post by Mike Chan [MSFT » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:15:17

Try to do an nslookup to see if you can resolve hostnames to IP addresses and
see if you can access the terminal services and file shares through typing in
the actual IP addresses.

Also, do you have ISA Server turned on on SBS?

If you can detail out your network topology I think it would help as well.

--
Mike Chan
Technical Product Manager (ISA Server/VPN)

Quote:> Ok so I am new to VPN's so please be gentle on me...

> We have purchased 2 netgear FVS318 VPN firewall routers to connect a remote
> office to our SBS2000 LAN.
> I have configured the fvs318's and established the VPN, however I am unable
> to connect to the Terminal server. By the way, The FVS router is connected
> to the SBS LAN directly, not to the external interface of the SBS box.

> The main objective is to connect to the TS however I am also unable to
> browse the SBS LAN.

> The confusing part here is that I can however ping (by IP or name) the
> servers from the remote site and also ping (by IP or name) the remote
> workstations from the SBS LAN. This tells me that the fault is probably not
> a routing or resolution problem...
> When I try to logon to the domain from through the VPN the system seems to
> stall at "Loading personal settings".

> What have I missed?

> The SBS server runs DNS and WINS, I have added these to the workstations on
> the remote LAN.

> Other WAN links I have setup have been ISDN and my understanding is that
> this should behave the same except no broadcast traffic will go over the
> VPN.

> If you need anymore info please ask...

> Thanks for any advise.

> Matt

1. Netgear FVS318 VPN connection problems.

Hello,

I'm trying to use the built-in VPN client in Windows
XP/2000 professional to connect to this VPN firewall. I'm
not able to connect and I was wondering is it required to
use a third party VPN client with this device.

Or if someone has successfully connected to one of these
Netgear FVS318 devices via VPN networking maybe you can
point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Richard Vincent

2. Point MX rec to static IP address

3. VPN Connection thru NETGEAR FVS318

4. .fnt -> .pcf

5. Netgear FVS318 VPN to Microsoft 2K RRAS

6. Dup Download w/ Joint Account

7. Messenger service and Terminal Services via VPN

8. Programmer needed

9. Can Terminal Service, but Can't Terminal Service out

10. Terminal Services Licensing and Activation, Terminal Services Licensing and Ac

11. Terminal Services License Server on same box as Terminal Services?

12. Technet Chat: What’s new in Terminal Services and Terminal Services Deployment - 1/23/03

13. Terminal Services Error (Terminal services client disconnected)