What really is DNS's Role in AD, Can I use my ISP?

What really is DNS's Role in AD, Can I use my ISP?

Post by Scott Townsen » Fri, 04 May 2001 06:06:50

I'm setting up our Active Directory and Mail server (on the same box) to be
hosted at our ISP. The ISP takes care of the DNS for our domain. Do I need
to install and configure the DNS server on the AD machine or can I just use
the ISP's DNS?

Thanks,
  Scott<-

What really is DNS's Role in AD, Can I use my ISP?

Post by haroldnjo » Fri, 04 May 2001 06:19:11

AD uses DNS to keep track of where computers are and what services are
offered on the network.  If a workstation needs to print to a network
printer, it searches the AD for the printer.  The AD uses DNS to find the
location of the printer.  This is the same for finding shared resources.
Chances are that your ISP's DNS server doesn't have each and every host on
your network mapped out in its lookup tables.  And if they do, then you will
have large security problems.  Windows 2000 DNS also has the benefit of
allowing dynamic updates, so your DHCP clients will be able to register with
and be found by the DNS server.

AD needs DNS to do its thing.  You can use third party DNS servers with AD,
instead of using 2000's DNS service.  These servers must comply with the
standards that 2000's DNS uses.  Since it's not that easy to get an ISP who
can or will provide all of this, the best practice is to run your own DNS
for your internal namespace and have that server forward requests which it
can't answer to your ISP's DNS server.

Hope this helps

Quote:> I'm setting up our Active Directory and Mail server (on the same box) to
be
> hosted at our ISP. The ISP takes care of the DNS for our domain. Do I need
> to install and configure the DNS server on the AD machine or can I just
use
> the ISP's DNS?

> Thanks,
>   Scott<-

What really is DNS's Role in AD, Can I use my ISP?

Post by haroldnjo » Fri, 04 May 2001 06:26:03

Also....

It's not recommended that you leave a domain controller open to the
Internet.  The mail server that is to be hosted at your ISP should just do
mail, not AD.  The domain controllers (servers running AD) should be on your
internal network, away from prying eyes.

Quote:> I'm setting up our Active Directory and Mail server (on the same box) to
be
> hosted at our ISP. The ISP takes care of the DNS for our domain. Do I need
> to install and configure the DNS server on the AD machine or can I just
use
> the ISP's DNS?

> Thanks,
>   Scott<-

What really is DNS's Role in AD, Can I use my ISP?

Post by Steve Jud » Sat, 05 May 2001 02:42:53

This might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/6/75.ASP

Quote:> I'm setting up our Active Directory and Mail server (on the same box) to
be
> hosted at our ISP. The ISP takes care of the DNS for our domain. Do I need
> to install and configure the DNS server on the AD machine or can I just
use
> the ISP's DNS?

> Thanks,
>   Scott<-

1. DNS "hungs" when using AD's DNS and ISP's DNS

Hi all,

we've been experiencing a quite strange problem.  There are some desktops
that need to be configured to solve Internet names on some DNS Servers at
several ISP's.

These machines work fine when they have to resolve domain names.  They also
work fine when they have to resolve Internet names.  But when -after
resolving Internet names- they have to resolve domain names they are stuck
at ISP's servers.  You'll get a host not found, or and unable to resolve ...

Any idea?

First we thought that it may happen because ISP's DNS configuration, but we
pointed second DNS to another Win2K DNS server from a different domain and
happened just the same.

Thanks in advance

2. Tcl/Tk Commercial Uses - Part 1: The Index

3. using ISP's DNS IP Addresses.....

4. Its possible !!!: Compile JAVA apps/applets *on* a Psion S5mx !

5. Using an ISP's DNS services and setting up an internal network

6. Bind 8.2.2 statically linked

7. Using own DNS rather than ISP's

8. DosQuerySysInfo: Does it really tell me how much mem I have?

9. Replicate AD DNS domain records between parent DC's DNS and child DC' DNS ?

10. Using AD MMC snap-ins on Win2k Pro

11. Question: Role of LDAP & AD with 'net use'

12. AD DNS vs ISP DNS

13. ISP DNS and AD DNS