Services won't start: <Service> is not a valid Win32 application

Post by Ken Welc » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:05:15

Running Win2k server SP2.  Performed a re-install as I was
unable to enable Internet Connection Sharing.  Re-install
worked; was able to enable ICS, and it works fine.
Noticed that antivirus software stopped running (McAfee
NetShield 4.5).  Attempted to uninstall and reinstall
NetShield.   Couldn't uninstall initially b/c it couldn't
stop the service.  Eventually was able to remove, but when
I tried to install, couldn't install as it wasn't able to
start services, saying I should check privileges.  Was
able to force the install silently, but now it won't run
giving me the following in event log:

Event Type:              Error
Event Source:            Service Control Manager
Event Category:          None
Event ID:                7000
Date:                            10/8/2001
Time:                            9:00:48 AM
User:                            N/A
Computer:                <removerd>
The Network Associates Task Manager service failed to
start due to the
following error:
Network Associates Task Manager is not a valid Win32
application.

Noticed at least one other service that won't start with
this error.  Can't find anything in Microsoft
KnowledgeBase!!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Ken

1. Services will not start; get "not a valid win32 application" error

Hi,
I have several services that will no longer run. I receive a"not a valid
win32 application" error when they are launched. These services range from
a FTP server to Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition. Some weeks ago this
seems to have all broken. I have checked for viruses including running
Symantec's Klez removal tool. Removal of the application and
reinstallation does not repair the problem. I ran the Windows repair
utility. I have searched application sites, news groups... I am at SP3 on
Win 2000 Pro.

Thanks for your help,
Carl

2. Resource File Manipulation API

3. <<<<<ARGGGGGGG>>>>>>>

4. SBS network access is very very slow

5. <<<<<<<<<<<Install VB6 program in WIN2K -------->>>>>>>>>>

6. fontinst for Adobe Caslon (expert set) question.

7. VIRUS ALERT>>>>><<<<>>>

8. Text to Agenda file converter (improved).

9. Error mess: <program path> is not a valid Win32 application

10. "Error 193 %1 is not a valid win32 application" when starting any service!?

11. <<<<< IIS5 and ADODB >>>>>

13. <<<< Error Reading Files >>>>