USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by J Spyke » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech support didn't
this morning.

I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that was
shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.  Last
night,
I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the USR
site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4 level and
limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a consistent
49333K.

Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech support had
not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem swap.  I'm
hoping not to have to ship it out.

Thanks in advance.

Post by a--kenfb » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech support didn't
> this morning.

> I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that was
> shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.  Last
> night,
> I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the USR
> site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4 level and
> limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a consistent
> 49333K.

> Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech support had
> not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem swap.  I'm
> hoping not to have to ship it out.

> Thanks in advance.

i got the same exact modem and similiar problems. when i use the modem update
wizard it updated like yours but it also updates every time i call in. i have
two other usr modems and when the code is recent it says " no update needed".
but every time i use it it updates and reinstalls the same update.
 i use three v90 isp(work and friends) and i get 45,333 on all connects. my
wife's usr upstairs gets 49,333 and 50,666 on occasion.
 did you try uninstalling the modem and reinstalling the original drivers??
i haven't done this yet but i will try. i'll let you know. i'm not sure if the
updater actually flashes the modem. if it does the uninstalling won't work.
 keep me posted on your trials with 3com. i'll be watching these post to see
if anyone else has this problem also,
                             ken

'

--

      "AND AS HE FACED THE SUN, HE CAST NO SHADOW"

USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by Ron Lov » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

If USRobotics has offered to swap, that is what I would do. Have done the same thing, and a swap resulted in the fastest code level for me.
Flashing back to an earlier version sometimes will render the modem inoperable anyway, too much risk for the return, I think.

Post by a--kenfb » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech support didn't
> this morning.

> I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that was
> shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.  Last
> night,
> I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the USR
> site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4 level and
> limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a consistent
> 49333K.

> Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech support had
> not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem swap.  I'm
> hoping not to have to ship it out.

> Thanks in advance.

hi, again. i'm ken who posted above with the exact same problem as yours.
i called 3com and got no real solution because once flashed you cannot go
back.
but, i solved the problem. i returned the modem where i bought it and
installed the new one but did not flash it. it's getting 50,666 or 49,333 all
the time.
when i flashed it like you i got 46.666 or 45,333. so i would either return
the modem to 3com or to wherever you bought it. i think there's a problem with
the new code.
the techs at 3com said he never heard of the revision we get when we flash.
so what does that tell you. hope this helps,
                                           ken

--

Post by Hooda Ges » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>> I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech support
didn't
>> this morning.

>> I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that was
>> shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.
Last
>> night,
>> I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the
USR
>> site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4 level
and
>> limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a
consistent
>> 49333K.

>> Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech support
had
>> not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem swap.
I'm
>> hoping not to have to ship it out.

From the 3Com web pages.

Product Code: 00568602
Form: EXT  Dips: No DIPS
Code Via: MUW  PnP: PnP

Update Information
Code Info                     Code Date    Part Number
latest V.90 code date      6/3/98        ** (MUW)

Please note the date of the code. I don't know what firmware revision
that would be but, if you somehow loaded code that was newer than that,
you got it from somewhere other than 3Com's MUW. And the tech who said
he never heard of that code you had ought to be asked what code was
released on 6/3/98.

Hooda

USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by J.E.Kirkpatric » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Connect speed can be misleading.  Before upgrading my 56k/V90 USR
Winmodem to V90 I connected at 52000 most of the time but after
upgrading the only connects I get are at 49300.  Yet measured download
times are up to three times faster with the V90 than with X2.  I don't
understand it but I like it.  I have to pay for it though because
connecting is slow and intermittent with the V90.

JEK

>>> I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech
support
>didn't
>>> this morning.

>>> I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that
was
>>> shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.
>Last
>>> night,
>>> I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the
>USR
>>> site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4
level
>and
>>> limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a
>consistent
>>> 49333K.

>>> Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech
support
>had
>>> not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem
swap.
>I'm
>>> hoping not to have to ship it out.

>From the 3Com web pages.

>Product Code: 00568602
>Form: EXT  Dips: No DIPS
>Code Via: MUW  PnP: PnP

>Update Information
>Code Info                     Code Date    Part Number
>latest V.90 code date      6/3/98        ** (MUW)

>Please note the date of the code. I don't know what firmware revision
>that would be but, if you somehow loaded code that was newer than
that,
>you got it from somewhere other than 3Com's MUW. And the tech who
said
>he never heard of that code you had ought to be asked what code was
>released on 6/3/98.

>Hooda

USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by ??èD????ò??á RTUS » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

Quote:>but, i solved the problem. i returned the modem where i bought it and
>installed the new one but did not flash it. it's getting 50,666 or 49,333 all
>the time.
>when i flashed it like you i got 46.666 or 45,333. so i would either return
>the modem to 3com or to wherever you bought it. i think there's a problem
with
>the new code.

Guys. Look at REAL perfomance for each connection but NOT for CONNECT speed.
Do you heard something about speedshift's (up and down)? Look at J.Navas FAQ
and learn about this. Whan modem connect at 46666 he can make the upshift to
higher speed (higher than 46666). Look at ATI6I11Y11 statistic screeen after
connection anf you'll get REAL info about your connection.

RTFM!

 With best regards,                  Russian Team U.S.Robotics Coordinator
 Alexey Stanovoy.                    http://www.usr.spb.ru

 ... Thanx to WebPlus for providing Internet Access for our Team.

USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by David Ku » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Hello!

: >but, i solved the problem. i returned the modem where i bought it
: >and installed the new one but did not flash it. it's getting
: >50,666 or 49,333 all the time. when i flashed it like you i got
: >46.666 or 45,333. so i would either return the modem to 3com or to
: >wherever you bought it. i think there's a problem with the new code.

: Guys. Look at REAL perfomance for each connection but NOT for
: CONNECT speed. Do you heard something about speedshift's (up and
: down)? Look at J.Navas FAQ and learn about this. Whan modem connect
: at 46666 he can make the upshift to higher speed (higher than
: 46666). Look at ATI6I11Y11 statistic screeen after connection anf
: you'll get REAL info about your connection.

Before update wizard -- 5.5k typical for binaries, with sustained
peaks at 11.5-12k when getting a large news group (compressable text).

After update wizard -- 4.5-4.8k with sustained peaks at 9.5-10k.

Ok, how do I fix it?

--
David Kunz
Operator error.  Replace operator and strike any key to continue...

USR v.90 Modem Update Wizard Problem

Post by J Spyke » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for info, but...

I saw the same info on the 3COM web site, yet the MUW is what selected the
newest software realease...not me.   I wish 3COM modify MUW to make a backup
of the current firmware before it flashes the new one!   It sure would help
to get back to where you were to start with.

The modem is on its way back to 3COM to be re-flashed.   The second tech
support person I talked to knew of the 6/98 code and suggested I place a
request in the box for that code.

Thanks to all for the info you sent.

>>> I am hoping someone out there has answer to this, 3COM tech support
>didn't
>>> this morning.

>>> I have a new USR 56K FAX external modem (prod id 00568602) that was
>>> shipped with the FLASH/DSP date of 6/3/98 at v4.11.2 code level.
>Last
>>> night,
>>> I ran the modem update wizard which I had just downloaded from the
>USR
>>> site.   I now have a modem that is flashed with 10/29/98 v4.9.4 level
>and
>>> limping along at 45333K.  Before the upgrade I was getting a
>consistent
>>> 49333K.

>>> Does anyone know how to get the v4.11.2 code back?   USR tech support
>had
>>> not even heard of the 6/3/98 v4.11.2 code and wants to do modem swap.
>I'm
>>> hoping not to have to ship it out.

>From the 3Com web pages.

>Product Code: 00568602
>Form: EXT  Dips: No DIPS
>Code Via: MUW  PnP: PnP

>Update Information
>Code Info                     Code Date    Part Number
>latest V.90 code date      6/3/98        ** (MUW)

>Please note the date of the code. I don't know what firmware revision
>that would be but, if you somehow loaded code that was newer than that,
>you got it from somewhere other than 3Com's MUW. And the tech who said
>he never heard of that code you had ought to be asked what code was
>released on 6/3/98.

>Hooda

1. USR MODEM Update WIZARD Problems

Hello:
Have  USR 56K Internal V90/X2 (model 568500)
Problem is not with MODEM but with upgrade to new "MODEM
Update wizard" (MUW). When I go to check for updates on the MUW it
automatically
downloads (to an unknown location) the upgrade files along with
self-extracting and
self-activating EXE file update program. When this program attempts to run
the MUW
upgrade it gives an error which states that it needs the "setup.dll" and
"isres.dll" which can be
found in the SYS1.CAB file. The only place I can find those files is in the
original MUW
set-up files on the original CD-ROM which came with the MODEM. Even though I
have those
files, where can I put them since I have no idea where this auto-starting
MUW upgrade goes?
If I could simply get a copy of the new MUW Upgrade.EXE file, I could add
those 2 missing
files to the program (if necessary) and it might successfully run the
upgrade. Are the 2 files I
am missing actually not in the upgrade or is there something else going on?
Will there be a fix?
Any help would be appreciated. I can't update my MODEM (at least through the
MUW
process) until I can successfully run that file. Thanks.

2. Introduction to comp.editors (July 29 1993)

3. USR/3COM Modem Update Wizard Problems

4. Recover network files

5. USR Update Wizard Problem

6. TeX, LaTeX, Rotis Font Family

7. USR Update Wizard problems

8. Need Prestige Pica

9. dmf file keeps crashing USR Modem Update Wizard

10. USR Modem Update Wizard won't install!!!

11. USR Modem Update Wizard

12. USR Update Wizard can't see X2 modem!