My 56K ain't...

Post by Hooda Ges » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I recently moved and was forced to change ISPs.

>I've tried 3 different ones.

>The first of them I connected to at anywhere between
>38Kbs and 44Kbs.  (I left them because they were
>always down.)

>When trying a 2nd ISP, I couldn't get anything
>over 26Kbs. Their techs had me putting in
>various strings and the speed did not change.

>With the third ISP,  I can connect only between
>36Kbs-38Kbs.

>I ran the terminal test for noise on the line,  and
>the results were negative for noise problems.

>I'm running a Dell Pent 133Mhz. I used to get
>50Kbs connections with the ISP I had before
>moving.

>Anyone have any suggestions, short of me
>visiting USR in Skokie with a shotgun?  : )

Why blame 3Com/USR? You moved and that means a new phone line, a different
part of town (or different town), a different telephone network, and
different ISPs. The only thing that remained the same is your computer and
your modem.

But here's some things to look at...

1. Run a line test to USR's testline. That's 1-847-262-6000 and you log in
as LINE TEST.
See what kind of connection you get. If it's better than you get to the 3
ISPs then the problem is in the local telco network.

2. Connect to your ISP (pick one) and then, after disconnecting, issue your
USR modem this command: ati7i6i11y11 and capture the results. We can go over
them here.

Hooda

My 56K ain't...

Post by Ken Marti » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've been pursuing a similar problem.  I used to connect with my 56K modem
at 45K.  Then all at once it dropped to 28.8K and lower with no changes on
my part.  Dell had me changing modems, software and the entire operating
system to no avail.  The telco was here 3 times spending 2 hours each time
and it didn't help.

It turns out that the telco, Bell Atlantic, installed fiber optics on the
day my speed dropped.  I showed a message that Alan Fowler sent me on optics
to copper connection problems to the telco techs and was met by a blank
stare.  The tech brought in his supervisor who made a call to his office.
According to Bell Atlantic "Their upgrade (?) to fiber optics will improve
voice quality but will limit data to 28.8K."  I could get faster speed by
renting an ISDN line and Ethernet card from them at ~$150/MO plus I would
need to buy another piece of equipment and their software for about $300.

So there you have it...the phone company,  Bell Atlantic anyway, is trying
to force us into their higher cost services by limiting dialup rates.  I
guess this means all 56K modems are now just trash.

I don't know about you all, but I'm about getting fed up with the phone
companies and their 12 page bills for services I seldom, if at all, use
while the quality and capability decline.  I guess I'm also fed up with all
the politicians of both parties that write the laws that make this *
possible!

Ken Martin

> >I recently moved and was forced to change ISPs.

> >I've tried 3 different ones.

> >The first of them I connected to at anywhere between
> >38Kbs and 44Kbs.  (I left them because they were
> >always down.)

> >When trying a 2nd ISP, I couldn't get anything
> >over 26Kbs. Their techs had me putting in
> >various strings and the speed did not change.

> >With the third ISP,  I can connect only between
> >36Kbs-38Kbs.

> >I ran the terminal test for noise on the line,  and
> >the results were negative for noise problems.

> >I'm running a Dell Pent 133Mhz. I used to get
> >50Kbs connections with the ISP I had before
> >moving.

> >Anyone have any suggestions, short of me
> >visiting USR in Skokie with a shotgun?  : )

> Why blame 3Com/USR? You moved and that means a new phone line, a different
> part of town (or different town), a different telephone network, and
> different ISPs. The only thing that remained the same is your computer and
> your modem.

> But here's some things to look at...

> 1. Run a line test to USR's testline. That's 1-847-262-6000 and you log in
> as LINE TEST.
> See what kind of connection you get. If it's better than you get to the 3
> ISPs then the problem is in the local telco network.

> 2. Connect to your ISP (pick one) and then, after disconnecting, issue
your
> USR modem this command: ati7i6i11y11 and capture the results. We can go
over
> them here.

> Hooda

My 56K ain't...

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You have a state regulatory commission or agency. Contact them. Tell them
that the telco is deliberately limiting your options and you feel it's in
order to sell you more expensive service (ISDN). It may not do any good but
it certainly cannot hurt you or cost you any money.

Hooda

> [...]

>> >visiting USR in Skokie with a shotgun?  : )

>> Why blame 3Com/USR? You moved and that means a new phone line, a
different
>> part of town (or different town), a different telephone network, and
>> different ISPs. The only thing that remained the same is your computer
and
>> your modem.

>> But here's some things to look at...

>> 1. Run a line test to USR's testline. That's 1-847-262-6000 and you log
in
>> as LINE TEST.
>> See what kind of connection you get. If it's better than you get to the 3
>> ISPs then the problem is in the local telco network.

>> 2. Connect to your ISP (pick one) and then, after disconnecting, issue
>your
>> USR modem this command: ati7i6i11y11 and capture the results. We can go

My 56K ain't...

Post by Alan Fowl » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>You have a state regulatory commission or agency. Contact them. Tell them
>that the telco is deliberately limiting your options and you feel it's in
>order to sell you more expensive service (ISDN). It may not do any good but
>it certainly cannot hurt you or cost you any money.

>Hooda

        That may well help, as Hooda suggests, but let's
look first at several inescapable facts of life: Corporate
Greed (aka World's Best Practice), Advertising Hype and
Unreal Expectations.

Corporate Greed.

        Telephone companies DO NOT exist primarily to
provide customers with a high speed data or fax service, or
even a telephone service.  Their primary purpose is to
provide the best possible returns on their shareholders'
investments.  To do anything else is to invite a shareholder
revolt with substantial cuts to senior executive and board
members salary, or complete replacement of all these people.

        Telephone companies are no longer operated by
engineers dedicated to proving a quality service, but by
cost conscious managers, accountants and lawyers. So
decisions will be based on the most economical way of
providing a service.

        As an example.  Imagine there has been a major
housing development in your area.  In addition there has
been a big increase in requests from existing customers in
the ares for a second phone line for fax and a third for
data. Possible solutions: a new multi-pair copper cable,
small pair gain systems on existing pairs, fibre optic cable
with a remote multiplexor or a combination of these.  The
choice will depend on the likely return on the investment in
new technology.  Multi-pair cable is likely to be expensive,
and the other choices will probably limit modem speeds to
V.34 or lower.  If you are extremely lucky the telco will
chose an Integrated remote multiplexor which will permit
high V.90 speeds.

Advertising Hype.

        When was the last time you saw an adverti*t like
the following:

        "When the experts were setting the standard for
V,34, and later V.90 they were fully aware that there was a
significant proportion of telephone connection that will not
support high speed operation.  Nevertheless, they decided to
frame the standard to allow the design and construction of
modems that would provide the best performance possible an
any line.

        Our modems do just that, but THEY CANNOT PERFORM
MIRACLES.  If your telephone line is of such low quality
that it will not allow the modem to operate at any speed in
V.90 mode, then return it to the dealer in good condition
with the packing and everything supplied as part of the
package for a full refund."

        Recently, some time ago or never?

        You are more likely to see a glowing description of
the wonders the modem will perform, but little or no
reference to the downside.

        Why aren't the modem manufacturers required to warn
you of likely problems?

Unreal Expectations.

        How many people buy a modem or a computer with a
built in modem, switch it on, and expect it to run at the
full rated speed under all conditions?  How many retailers
know enough to warn the customer that they cannot expect to
get high speed operation is all cases?  Why aren't they
required to warn the customer?

>>I've been pursuing a similar problem.  I used to connect with my 56K modem
>>at 45K.  Then all at once it dropped to 28.8K and lower with no changes on
>>my part.  Dell had me changing modems, software and the entire operating
>>system to no avail.

        Why isn't the manufacturer's help desk aware of this
cause of a drop in speed?

Quote:>>The telco was here 3 times spending 2 hours each time
>>and it didn't help.

        And what did that cost the telco?  I hope they
didn't expect you to pay for the tech's time.

Quote:

>>It turns out that the telco, Bell Atlantic, installed fiber optics on the
>>day my speed dropped.  I showed a message that Alan Fowler sent me on
>>optics to copper connection problems to the telco techs and was met by a
>>blank stare.  The tech brought in his supervisor who made a call to his
>>office.
>>According to Bell Atlantic "Their upgrade (?) to fiber optics will improve
>>voice quality but will limit data to 28.8K."

        It does not say much for the company that they had
not made sure all their field staff were fully aware of the
effect of the new equipment on modem speed, and that the
techs and supervisor were not aware that your service had
been transferred to the new system.

Quote:>>I could get faster speed by
>>renting an ISDN line and Ethernet card from them at ~$150/MO plus I would
>>need to buy another piece of equipment and their software for about $300.

>>So there you have it...the phone company,  Bell Atlantic anyway, is trying
>>to force us into their higher cost services by limiting dialup rates.

        Maybe or maybe not.  I think it is much more likely
that they have simply chosen a "world's best practice"
solution, and as a result you have lost a service you were
never entitled to.

Quote:>>guess this means all 56K modems are now just trash.

        I asked the representatives of an Australian Modem
manufacturer at a Trade Show "what happens if I buy your
V.90 modem and my telephone line will not let it operate at
any V.90 speed".  Their answer "that I would still have a
high quality V.34 modem".  There were not interested in
discussing the problem nor in the fact that I would be
paying a premium price for a V,34 modem.

Quote:

>>I don't know about you all, but I'm about getting fed up with the phone
>>companies and their 12 page bills for services I seldom, if at all, use
>>while the quality and capability decline.  I guess I'm also fed up with all
>>the politicians of both parties that write the laws that make this *
>>possible!

>>Ken Martin

        Having said all that, in Ken's position I would be
just as upset, and quite rightly so.  I would feel that
there has been a serious failure in communications between
the modem manufacturers, the telephone companies, the
Internet Service Providers. the retailers, computer magazine
editors, State and Federal government bodies, other
regulatory bodies and the users.

        Frankly, I don't know what we can do to protect our
investment in technology.  Computers and peripherals have
become computer items that you buy at a supermarket.  It's a
case of buyer beware.

        I'm retired, and over the past two years have looked
at the problem in detail.  I've had an eight page report
published in our club's computer magazine (circulation,
about 20,000 copies) and have an updated copy on my home
page.  But that is really only a drop in the ocean.

        So how do we fix the problem instead of having to
answer the same problems over and over as more people lose
their high speed access?

                regards,  Alan.
  ,-._|\  Alan Fowler. (Alan M. Fowler  FIEAust CPEng)
 /  Oz  \ Mail Address: PO Box 1008G, North Balwyn 3104 Vic, AUSTRALIA.
 \_,--.x/ Phone: +613-9857-7128  Member, Melbourne PC User Group.
       v    Home page:  http://www.veryComputer.com/

My 56K ain't...

Post by Alan Fowl » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>    Frankly, I don't know what we can do to protect our
>investment in technology.  Computers and peripherals have
>become computer items that you buy at a supermarket.  It's a
>case of buyer beware.

        That should have read "consumer items that you buy
at a supermarket"

        My apologies,  Alan.
  ,-._|\  Alan Fowler. (Alan M. Fowler  FIEAust CPEng)
 /  Oz  \ Mail Address: PO Box 1008G, North Balwyn 3104 Vic, AUSTRALIA.
 \_,--.x/ Phone: +613-9857-7128  Member, Melbourne PC User Group.
       v    Home page:  http://www.emucities.com.au/member/whitethorn

1. So, ZyXEL's new modems are delayed, and it ain't the software...

Since ZyXELs modems are delayed, and it's because of a hardware problem,
it would be nice if the modems, when they come out in februari 1995, had
all the nifty protocols another modems has.

Yup, I'm talking about V.FC and V.Terbo!

Of course, I know they are inferior to V.34, but since I run a BBS I would
like to be compatible with as much modems as possible, and the fact is,
there will still be quite a lot of V.FC and V.Terbo modems around in
february 1995.

So, how about it, ZyXEL?

Patrick.

2. Make Extra Money on the Side (tech position--honest!)

3. Net Speed Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

4. Sony Clie customer and tech support --- are bottom of the barrel!!

5. Telocity Ain't Bad - at least where I am - Here's my experience

6. Sendmail and Waffle 1.65

7. It ain't over: Diamond ups the ante for Hayes

8. mail..Forwarding??

9. Modem Baud Rate - There ain't no such animal.

10. Ain't Spammers Funny?

11. It Ain't Like it Used to Be

12. "It Ain't Like it Used to Be"

13. There Ain't no Such Thing as a Free Network