USR Sportster can't negotiate 28.8 with GVC 28.8

USR Sportster can't negotiate 28.8 with GVC 28.8

Post by Curtis Rempel - System Manager (26 » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

I hope this isn't a common problem, but if it is, please provide me with
the solution and I'll go away quietly... ;-)

I have a USR Sportster that says "True V.34" on the box which I use to call
a SLIP server modem pool consisting of external GVC 28.8 modems.  This is
installed in a Digital Venturis 486 dx2/66 running OS/2 Warp (red box) with
no fix packs applied.

Here's what happens:

I call the SLIP server using a REXX script but the two modems can't seem
to get in sync.  The normal training signals are heard over the speaker
and the speaker goes silent and I anticipate a CONNECT message.  But, then
they start training again, silence, and so on, until they eventually give
up.

Here's the interesting part:

I shut down Warp, power off the system for 10 seconds, and then boot up again.
The second time through, it always works.  It seems I have to go through this
annoying 2nd cold boot to make it work properly.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  Is it a ROM problem?  Maybe
my init settings aren't quite right.  Here's what they do:

AT&F1
ATB0E1F1M3Q0V1X4&A3&B1&C1&D2
AT&H1&I0&K1&M4&N0&R2&S1S0=2

I haven't yet tried USR support given their track record according to the
postings in this group... :-(

Hopefully though somebody else has witnessed this behaviour as well.

Please reply directly to me in addition to the group in case I miss the
posting due to the apparent heavy traffic in this group.  Thanks!

P.S. I should also mention that this same behavior also exists if I use
a DOS terminal emulator, no connection the first time, but after the cold
boot, everything works.

---

OpenVMS Systems Manager
The University of Lethbridge

Post by jack mill » Mon, 15 May 1995 04:00:00

: I hope this isn't a common problem, but if it is, please provide me with
: the solution and I'll go away quietly... ;-)

: I have a USR Sportster that says "True V.34" on the box which I use to call
snip
: Here's the interesting part:

: I shut down Warp, power off the system for 10 seconds, and then boot up again.
: The second time through, it always works.  It seems I have to go through this
: annoying 2nd cold boot to make it work properly.

: Has anybody else experienced this problem?  Is it a ROM problem?  Maybe
snip
: Please reply directly to me in addition to the group in case I miss the
: posting due to the apparent heavy traffic in this group.  Thanks!
snip
: ---

: OpenVMS Systems Manager
: The University of Lethbridge
Hi Curtis,
I've got what seems to be the same problem, but I can connect for 5
minutes after power on, it drops the connection like a clock at 5
minutes.  I can't connect again until I power down and back up again.
 Then it's fine.  Actually it seems to need to be powered (heated) up for
about 8-10 minutes to make it through the short power off cooldown.
Since USR mentioned something about a heat related problem, I'm hopeful
it may be solved, especially if a few more people say they have the same
thing.  That makes it more likely that we have "the" heat related problem
fixed in the new ROM.  Have fun

Jack Miller

1. Can't Choose: USR Sportster 28.8 Vi or Supra 28.8...

If anyone can help me choose between these two modems, I would greatly
appreciate it!

I like the idea of Caller ID, and I believe both have this..

Is Flash ROM (supra) that great of a feature? Or, when an update comes
out, is it just as easy to wait for one in the mail?

I like the idea of the Voice Mail, but I also like the digital display
of the Supra... but are either any good?

Thanks alot for any comments...

Dave

Dave Pfrommer

2. Accessing Data in RPG

3. Supra 28.8 vs. USR 28.8 Sportster vs. Practical 28.8 ?

4. 19-pin D-sub connector. (DMA)

5. GVC 28.8 vs USR 28.8

6. BGP question.

7. USR Sportster 28.8 vs. Motorola Power 28.8

8. Revo vs 5mX

9. Motorola Power 28.8 or USR Sportster 28.8

10. USR Sportster 28.8, problems against Intertex 28.8

11. Help: USR 28.8 Sportster Vi stops training with other 28.8 modems

12. USR 28.8 sportster to Microcom 28.8

13. USR Sportster 28.8 Vi vs Motorola Lifestyle 28.8