Is 3Com USR Model 2977 a Winmodem?

Post by Sage Ki » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

 In Pricewatch.com, vendors are selling a 3Com modem with description
of:
"3COM # 2977 56K PCI V.90 NoVoice NOT a WINMODEM - OEM"

According to 3Com website and this newsgroup, the only PCI NON-Winmodem
by 3Com is the model 5610...

So does this mean that the hardware vendors are lying when they are
saying that the model 2977 is a hardware modem?
and why is it that there is nothing at 3Com website when i try to
search for the model number 2977???

thank you for your helps...

--
-Sage Kim
Research Associate

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Is 3Com USR Model 2977 a Winmodem?

Post by Rob Cla » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> In Pricewatch.com, vendors are selling a 3Com modem with description
>of:
>"3COM # 2977 56K PCI V.90 NoVoice NOT a WINMODEM - OEM"

>According to 3Com website and this newsgroup, the only PCI NON-Winmodem
>by 3Com is the model 5610...

I believe the 2977 _may be_ the OEM or "white box" version of the 5610.
This is one of the reasons I use FCC registration numbers on my web site--
USR plays this game all of the time.

USR does not officially support OEM models.  In fact, people who have
e-mailed support about them get snippy replies.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Post by Hooda Ges » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>> In Pricewatch.com, vendors are selling a 3Com modem with description
>>of:
>>"3COM # 2977 56K PCI V.90 NoVoice NOT a WINMODEM - OEM"

>>According to 3Com website and this newsgroup, the only PCI NON-Winmodem
>>by 3Com is the model 5610...

>I believe the 2977 _may be_ the OEM or "white box" version of the 5610.
>This is one of the reasons I use FCC registration numbers on my web site--
>USR plays this game all of the time.

There is no "game" involved. An OEM model is one produced for vendors. These
are sold to vendors at a discount with the provision that the modem's
support will have to be provided by the vendor and not by 3Com/USR. Buyers
of these modems should be aware of this before making the purchase. And,
when the seller clearly states it's an OEM then the buyer is being made
aware of this.

Quote:

>USR does not officially support OEM models.  In fact, people who have
>e-mailed support about them get snippy replies.

They haven't been given snippy replies, they've been told that the support
is to be provided by the vendor and not by 3Com/USR. A truthful reply is not
"snippy."

Hooda

Post by R Collin » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> In Pricewatch.com, vendors are selling a 3Com modem with description
> of:
> "3COM # 2977 56K PCI V.90 NoVoice NOT a WINMODEM - OEM"

> According to 3Com website and this newsgroup, the only PCI
NON-Winmodem
> by 3Com is the model 5610...

> So does this mean that the hardware vendors are lying when they are
> saying that the model 2977 is a hardware modem?
> and why is it that there is nothing at 3Com website when i try to
> search for the model number 2977???

Possibly because it's an OEM version.

1. 3com/USR v.90/56K Model 2977

Help Please ...

Based on "USR" of long ago (1996), I bought "one" ... ;_(

I managed to find the OEM support (meager) on 3com/USR URL ...

Can someone tell me "what" I have ... whutzit 'like' ???

Is it good/bad/indifferent ???
And, ...
did I just pay for some more 'education' ???

TIA,

Ed

2. Wireless Ipaq Internet Access (FAST)

3. 3Com modem model # 2977 Help

4. Howmuch flashmemory has the IIIc and compatibility of third party software

5. Hooda, 3Com USR #2977, Any advice?

6. SrmReceive and Parity errors

7. 3Com USR 2977 speaker volume

8. net.data

9. 3com\USR winmodem model 5683

10. Problems?/Questions with 3Com 2977 OEM modem???

11. 3COM 2977 OEM is really a ?

12. Recommendations for 3Com 2977?

13. S1598 and 3Com 2977