viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

Post by David Dempse » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have a modem link (with standard dial up phone line)  joining an NT
PC and some remote monitoring hardware, and am trying to *diagnose*
problems with the link rather than just swapping AT settings, buying a
new modem etc as suggested by the manufacturers (Netcomm and Rockwell).

I have the Rockwell chip AT command set document, and the 1 page Netcomm
Roadster 288 AT reference (useless, incomplete and sometimes wrong), and
have scanned and searched in vain for anything which describes how I can
display the settings such as :E, \N, *H etc. AT&V1 is not useable, and
AT&V gives only the basic profile information.

Any hints?

Has anybody come across software which allows one to check the progress
of a connection showing what the modem is doing, and if auto-reliable
modes used, whether error correction, or compression is in place, and
what speed or protocol is used?

What does the line quality number returned in AT%Q represent in physical
terms?

David

viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

Post by Turnpike Modem Suppor » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a modem link (with standard dial up phone line)  joining an NT
>PC and some remote monitoring hardware, and am trying to *diagnose*
>problems with the link rather than just swapping AT settings, buying a
>new modem etc as suggested by the manufacturers (Netcomm and Rockwell).

>I have the Rockwell chip AT command set document, and the 1 page Netcomm
>Roadster 288 AT reference (useless, incomplete and sometimes wrong),

Try using something like:

 http://www.zoomtel.com/techsprt/documentation/1048r4.pdf

Quote:> and
>have scanned and searched in vain for anything which describes how I can
>display the settings such as :E, \N, *H etc. AT&V1 is not useable, and
>AT&V gives only the basic profile information.

>Any hints?

You have to look at the values of the S registers which are affected by
those commands, say using ATS38? or whatever.

Quote:>Has anybody come across software which allows one to check the progress
>of a connection showing what the modem is doing, and if auto-reliable
>modes used, whether error correction, or compression is in place, and
>what speed or protocol is used?

Not me

Quote:>What does the line quality number returned in AT%Q represent in physical
>terms?

It is called an EQM measure.

I think that it is some kind or RMS error vector magnitude.

Regards
--
Dave English, Turnpike Modem Support, T U R N P I K E  Ltd
Dorking Business Park, DORKING, Surrey, UK. RH4 1HN

viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

Post by Rick Colli » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:10:17 +0930, David Dempsey

>Has anybody come across software which allows one to check the progress
>of a connection showing what the modem is doing, and if auto-reliable
>modes used, whether error correction, or compression is in place, and
>what speed or protocol is used?

Only if that software is part of the modem itself.  The modem is a
"black box", and the system that connects to it through the serial
port knows _only_ what the modem deigns to report.

-----------------------------------
Rick

viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

Post by David Dempse » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the link,
I had this document, and it has been most helpful, although not fully
descriptive.
For example, when setting up an auto-reliable mode connection \N3   I assume
this is a speed buffered connection
(where terminal not necessarily = line speed) like \N0, not a direct
connection like \N1 (where terminal = line speed),
but this is not spelled out. This is important in our application because the
remote end is a sensor with fixed speed.

I also found a command in the automodem reference guide from Netcomm  AT\S
which gives
a 3 column printout of the modem settings including the \N &C (M etc commands
- most useful.

> >I have the Rockwell chip AT command set document, and the 1 page Netcomm
> >Roadster 288 AT reference (useless, incomplete and sometimes wrong),

> Try using something like:

>  http://www.zoomtel.com/techsprt/documentation/1048r4.pdf

> > and
> >have scanned and searched in vain for anything which describes how I can
> >display the settings such as :E, \N, *H etc. AT&V1 is not useable, and
> >AT&V gives only the basic profile information.

> >Any hints?

> Regards
> --
> Dave English, Turnpike Modem Support, T U R N P I K E  Ltd
> Dorking Business Park, DORKING, Surrey, UK. RH4 1HN
> Trying to help

viewing \N settings in a Netcomm Roadster 288 Modem

Post by Turnpike Modem Suppor » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for the link,
>I had this document, and it has been most helpful, although not fully
>descriptive.
>For example, when setting up an auto-reliable mode connection \N3   I assume
>this is a speed buffered connection
>(where terminal not necessarily = line speed) like \N0, not a direct
>connection like \N1 (where terminal = line speed),
>but this is not spelled out.

I think that kind of behaviour was built up, piece by piece, as the
protocols were introduced one by one.

As such it is a bit of a mess.

It is also in that area that individual manufacturers are most likely to
have changed the behaviour of the Rockwell supplied reference
implementation, first to fix particular problems and later for
compatibility with their earlier fixes :-(

I think that I am right to say that the key to understanding settings at
this level is to watch which S register value changes the modem commands
make.  The way these modems seem to work is that the AT commands set S
registers & the modem decides how to behave according to S register
values.  It is only perhaps with the AT+MS settings that this model may
first have been broken.  Do you understand?

> This is important in our application because the
>remote end is a sensor with fixed speed.

>I also found a command in the automodem reference guide from Netcomm  AT\S
>which gives
>a 3 column printout of the modem settings including the \N &C (M etc commands
>- most useful.

>> >I have the Rockwell chip AT command set document, and the 1 page Netcomm
>> >Roadster 288 AT reference (useless, incomplete and sometimes wrong),

>> Try using something like:

>>  http://www.zoomtel.com/techsprt/documentation/1048r4.pdf

>> > and
>> >have scanned and searched in vain for anything which describes how I can
>> >display the settings such as :E, \N, *H etc. AT&V1 is not useable, and
>> >AT&V gives only the basic profile information.

>> >Any hints?

ATB
--
Dave English, Turnpike Modem Support, T U R N P I K E  Ltd
Dorking Business Park, DORKING, Surrey, UK. RH4 1HN
Trying to help

1. Help with NetComm Roadster 288 modem

    Hello,

        I have a NetComm Roadster 288 modem.

        I can not get it to hold a connection for more than
        a few minutes without dropping the connection (NO CARRIER).

        I've had my phone lines checked, and have no other phones on
        the line.

        A friends Spirit Viper modem works perfectly on my system.

        I have sent the modem back under warranty, but it was returned
        with no problems found.

        Anyone able to help?

        I've recently heard things to suggest that this is a very poor
        modem, can anyone confirm this?

    Thanks,

    Craig

2. Primax colormobile driver needed

3. HELP! Netcomm Roadster 288 FaxSwitch, Auto-answer.

4. Session.SessionID won't work

5. Netcom Roadster 288 Modem Driver

6. Visual Slick Edit : How to execute shell commands from Custom Buttons

7. Netcomm Roadster II USB probs

8. retrieving email using series 3C and GSM mobile

9. Netcomm Roadster Wont connect PCA or Laplink Call

10. Netcomm Roadster II Ultra 56K

11. Netcomm Roadster 33.6 Init String HELP!

12. Netcomm Roadster Flex 56 can't load flash memory

13. Netcomm Roadster II 56 USB trouble