Trouble connecting with modem (2nd request)

Trouble connecting with modem (2nd request)

Post by losc.. » Sun, 27 Sep 1992 00:03:52

Hello again.  I haven't yet received a reply from my plea of last
week, so I'm going to try reposting it.  PLEASE, if you have any
ideas, even if they are only speculations, I'm desperate for something
to try.  My best guess is that some .INI setting might be wrong, or
that it has to do with running in 386 enhanced mode, which I wasn't
doing before, but I'm no expert.  I have tried changing the COMIRQSharing
flag in the SYSTEM.INI file, but this seemed to have no effect.
Any advice or ideas or even guesses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.  Here's the original posting and details of my problem:

I'm having a problem I haven't seen discussed here, and thought perhaps the
kind people in network-land might be able to help.  I've just upgraded my
computer from a 1-meg 286 to an 8-meg 386SX, both machines running DOS 5, Win
3.1, and Dynacomm 3.0.  In the process, I also changed my internal modem (a
2400 bps model by Compudyne) from COM3 to COM1, and changed the appropriate
settings (as far as I know) in Windows and Dynacomm.  However, somehow the
program I wrote to login to my local mainframe no longer works.  The modem
picks up, dials the number correctly, and connects, but Dynacomm doesn't seem
to realize that the connection has been made.  Instead, it continues to
display the dialog box and the timer just keeps moving along.  The piece of
code which seems to be failing is very simple:
        dial
        if connect() goto login
        cancel
(Actually, there's a second phone number loop which is also in there, but it
doesn't seem to make any difference.)  Somehow, Dynacomm isn't receiving the
connection.  I can cancel the program when I hear the connection being made,
and the modem does (then) return "connect 2400" and from there I can complete
the login manually, but this is still very frustrating.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Chris Loschen

1. Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

I've just recently gotten Roadrunner cable internet service and I'm doing a
self install. I have two PCs using Window98se that I want to share the
single IP address. I only want to split the signal and allow it to go to
each PC. I specifically DO NOT want to set up a server. File/printer sharing
is turned off on both.

I set up PC1 first, from the Toshiba cable modem, through the Linksys
BEFSF41, to a 10/100 LAN NIC. It worked great. Next I installed the NIC on
PC2. I configured it with the same settings used on the first PC: TCP/IP,
IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI, DHCP enabled. But PC2 won't connect to the net,
although the router indicates that it's there.

msipcfg results are

PC1:
IP Address                   192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask                  255.255.255.0
Default Gateway              192.168.1.1
DHCP Server                  192.168.1.1

PC2:
IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.237.58
Subnet Mask                  255.255.0.0
Default Gateway              blank
DHCP Server                  255.255.255.255

Do I need to reset the router or modem?  Any help you can give would be
appreciated.

2. HELP REQ: how to enable NAT in win2k professional?

3. Trouble Connecting with 56K, IBM.NET, IBM Modem, no problem with speed, just hard to connect.

4. TI-99 /4A

5. Modem won't connect on 2nd try

6. bad magic number for shared library when using CALL_EXTERNAL

7. modem only connects on 2nd try

8. RIP?? RAR??

9. Connect 2nd machine to Cable Modem

10. SNMP & VLAN & CISCO3600(2nd request)

11. 801 to ISP & 4500 (IP & IPX), 2nd request

12. 2nd Request for Jumper settings. USR 33.6 Help!

13. 2nd request: Voice outdial system