USR 56k winmodem cant connect at 56k - ive read the posts

USR 56k winmodem cant connect at 56k - ive read the posts

Post by ryanric » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I just bought a USR 56k winmodem. I installed it correctly, unplugged
all the jacks in the apartment. I even downloaded teh USR line test
utility and IT PASSED - and said I was able to connect to the USR
computer at 56k but for some reason,I cannot connect Flashnet, my
provider who is 56k (I know people connecting to it at 56k). The highest
ive been able to connect is 36k (usually only 31.2). I tried the upgrade
wizard from USR but there isnt one for my modem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ryan

USR 56k winmodem cant connect at 56k - ive read the posts

Post by rcoll.. » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:25:33 -0600, Ryan

>I just bought a USR 56k winmodem. I installed it correctly, unplugged
>all the jacks in the apartment. I even downloaded teh USR line test
>utility and IT PASSED - and said I was able to connect to the USR
>computer at 56k but for some reason,I cannot connect Flashnet, my
>provider who is 56k (I know people connecting to it at 56k). The highest
>ive been able to connect is 36k (usually only 31.2). I tried the upgrade
>wizard from USR but there isnt one for my modem.

>Any ideas?

The connection available to you to FLASHNET isn't suitable for 56K,
for any number of reasons.  Once you reach the CO, routing for LD and
local calls is completely different.

__________________
Rick.
Remove "X" from e-mail address

1. USR 56K Winmodem in another computer doesn't connect at 56K

I got this WinModem when it was still 28.8.  I upgraded to X2 for over $50,
not sure exactly how much. When V.90 came along, I upgraded to this for
free. This modem always connected at 48K+  on my computer. Now I put it in
another computer and use the V.90 drivers and the modem will not connect at
anything above about 31K. This is on the same exact phone line that got 48+
in my apartment, so I know it isn't the phone line. Both computers are
comparable and working fine.  I even re-installed some old X2 drivers and
used the Modem Update wizard to find better drivers. USR said the modem
already had the highest upgrade.

So what am I doing wrong? I want to sell this modem to my sister but she
doesn't want to buy a 33.6 modem! I paid damn good money to upgrade this to
56K. Why is USR continuing to be so hide and seek with driver upgrades? They
won't let me download the V.90 drivers, I have to use the stupid modem
update wizard.

Mike

2. process

3. USR 56K connects 56K to some but not others..

4. CheckBoxList for many-to-many relationship

5. USR Winmodem 56K connects at 33. in win2k

6. HPRT Dual 10/100base kit

7. usr 56K winmodem connects slow in win98se

8. UPOs

9. Lucent v.90 winmodem or USR 56k winmodem?

10. USR 56k Sportster Voice Internal -vs-USR Winmodem

11. lost my inf file for my 56k winmodem (upgraded from 28.8 to 33.6 then 56k

12. Cant connect at 56K with Rockwell chipset

13. New 56k modem wont' connect at 56k.