X2 Line Test reports X2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

X2 Line Test reports X2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

Post by James W. Frick » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6FA3.094069E0

Hi Mike! Surprised to see you here. Sorry to hear that you're having =
problems with X2. You still may find that depending on the various telco =
switches that you have to go through, you still may be able to connect =
at a reasonably high (48000?) connect speed. See if you can find someone =
in your area that has had success and see if you can connect to their =
ISP (Using their password etc.) to verify. Good luck.
Jim Fricke (Currently connected at 50666 (just rubbing it in))

I realize the Line Test utility isn't 100% accurate but is there
anything else I can do?  What info should I provide?

- using Sportster internal 840004 (flash rom)
- Com port set to 57K (per ISP suggestion)
- Modem detects OK as 56K.

The Telco tested my line and found it noise free (for voice use) but
would not guarantee it for data above 14K.  I wish the Telco and Modem
Co's could hash out the technical details of 56K modems so the
consumer won't be hurt.  I've been going thru the upgrade/rebate thing
since Sept 96 and an SICK OF IT ALL!!!!

Maybe the ITU standard will force some cooperation between the two.

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6FA3.094069E0

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D'"Trident 4.71.0544.0"' name=3DGENERATOR>

</HEAD>
<BODY><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Hi Mike! Surprised to see you here. Sorry to hear that you're having =
problems=20
with X2. You still may find that depending on the various telco switches =
that=20
you have to go through, you still may be able to connect at a reasonably =
high=20
(48000?) connect speed. See if you can find someone in your area that =
has had=20
success and see if you can connect to their ISP (Using their password =
etc.) to=20
verify. Good luck.</P>

<P>Jim Fricke (Currently connected at 50666 (just rubbing it in))</P>

<HTML><BODY><FONT size=3D2>I realize the Line Test utility isn't 100% =
accurate but=20
is there<BR>
anything else I can do?&nbsp; What info should I provide?<BR>
<BR>
- using Sportster internal 840004 (flash rom)<BR>
- Com port set to 57K (per ISP suggestion)<BR>
- Modem detects OK as 56K.<BR>
<BR>
The Telco tested my line and found it noise free (for voice use) but<BR>
would not guarantee it for data above 14K.&nbsp; I wish the Telco and =
Modem<BR>
Co's could hash out the technical details of 56K modems so the<BR>
consumer won't be hurt.&nbsp; I've been going thru the upgrade/rebate =
thing<BR>
since Sept 96 and an SICK OF IT ALL!!!!<BR>
<BR>
Maybe the ITU standard will force some cooperation between the two.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01BC6FA3.094069E0--

X2 Line Test reports X2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

Post by Mike Be » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Jim:
Thanks Jim.  This isn't rocket science (or shouldn't be for the
consumer).  I think the experts (Modem Companys and Telcos) should
work out the technical details before they entice the consumer to try
56K.  I happy it works for you.

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:19:28 -0500, "James W. Fricke"

Post by Tony Nels » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I realize the Line Test utility isn't 100% accurate but is there
> anything else I can do?  What info should I provide?

Not that I've done any of this myself, but have you tried connecting to the
USR 56K download site?  Not the same as the line test number.  Should tell
you whether X2 is working from your location.

      '         Looking for Mac programming work.

Post by Jim Sti » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:19:28 -0500, "James W. Fricke"

> See if you can find
>someone in your area that has had success and see if you can connect
>to their ISP (Using their password etc.) to verify. Good luck.

 Using their password is unneccesary, after the connection is made
(wtihout logging in), disconnect and use a terminal program to send
diagnostic commands to the modem to determine what the connect speed
was - or- listen for the little beep at the end of the x2 handshake.

Jim Stiel

1. USR Line Test says x2 capable but can't connect to ISP above 28.8

[snip]

:>

Its not going to happen. Why? The phone companies will tell you they gaurantee
line conditions for 9600 baud, no more, and that if you need to do any type of
communication beyond that the solution is ISDN.

The problem with the line test is that it only tells you if you can get an x2
connection from your location to the long distance number you are dialing. Copper
lines go to your local phone switch, phone switch is digital and routes your call
long distance to the USR modem pool which accepts the calls.

If you place a local call to your Internet provider,
the path your call takes can be very different, i.e, traversing more analog paths
locally from one town to the next.
That seems to be the problem you are experiencing here. By the way, you _can_
attain an x2 connection with more than one analog conversion.. in fact, with many,
although it will be poor. Too many, and you will only get an x2 connection sometimes
if at all.

2. Jornada 420 elcheapo!

3. x2, Testing your phone lines (above the USR Line Test)

4. Needs E-book

5. X2: can't connect above 28.8

6. Is there a TeX/LaTeX symbol for 1/1000?

7. GVC CL-MD56XX X2 Modem won't connect above 31200

8. large disks & OS/2

9. USR 56k x2 v.90 data/fax modem but can't connect above 26600

10. OK, so I got a X2 non-capable phone-line, what's next?

11. X2 connects fine- Motorola K56 connects 28.8

12. diamond supra 56i sp v.90 can't connect above 28.8