Connecting two computers (modem to modem) with a phone line???

Connecting two computers (modem to modem) with a phone line???

Post by Stephen Exo » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I can't for the life of me figure out what AT command sets to use
to hook two computers up that just have a phone line connecting them
(modem to modem) -- I keep getting `no dialtone` errors, etc...
I have done it in the past, but I can't remember how...
Again, I don't plug the phone line into the wall or anything ...
it just goes between each computer
I think it has something to do with `off-hook` but I can't remember..
Please reply with specific AT command sets if anyone out there
knows what I am talking about... thanx alot

Connecting two computers (modem to modem) with a phone line???

Post by John Nav » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>I can't for the life of me figure out what AT command sets to use
>to hook two computers up that just have a phone line connecting them
>(modem to modem) -- I keep getting `no dialtone` errors, etc...
>I have done it in the past, but I can't remember how...
>Again, I don't plug the phone line into the wall or anything ...
>it just goes between each computer
>I think it has something to do with `off-hook` but I can't remember..
>Please reply with specific AT command sets if anyone out there
>knows what I am talking about... thanx alot

Why not dispense with the modems and just run a "null modem" serial cable
between the two computers?  Much faster.

--
Best regards,

      28800 Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by Stephen Exo » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Why not dispense with the modems and just run a "null modem" serial cable
> between the two computers?  Much faster.

> --
> Best regards,

>       28800 Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Because --- Don't want to but a 50 foot cable...
Just want to hook up two computers like this so my roomate and I can play
games
against eachother without using our phone line...
any sugestions greatly appreciated...

Post by Bria » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Why not dispense with the modems and just run a "null modem" serial cable
> > between the two computers?  Much faster.

> Because --- Don't want to but a 50 foot cable...
> Just want to hook up two computers like this so my roomate and I can play
> games against eachother without using our phone line...
> any sugestions greatly appreciated...

Stephen,
You will get better results using a null modem serial cable if the game
program supports speeds that are faster than your modem speed.
Depending on your serial port, you could triple your transfer rate going
with the null-modem.

That said, what you can do is connect the modems together, and use ATX0D
(that is X zero) to blind dial (dial w/o checking for a dialtone) one of
the modems, and ATA to force the other modem to answer.

If the game has a dialer, you may not be able to issue the ATA command
to force the modem to answer so you will have to try and get the modems
connected before you start up the game, and 'trick' the game into
thinking that you are connected with a null-modem.

--
Brian
{posted and mailed}

Connecting two computers (modem to modem) with a phone line???

Post by Dave Aronso » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

 [...]
 uchusky> Depending on your serial port, you could triple your transfer
 uchusky> rate going with the null-modem.

Or even better, if the game in question supports using the parallel
ports!

-Dave Aronson, Sysop of Air 'n Sun BBS at (703) 765-0822

I WILL READ UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL (UCE) FOR $1000 EACH.  I MAY
CONTACT ITS SENDER WHENEVER, HOWEVER, AND AS OFTEN AS I PLEASE.  SENDING
ME UCE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS.  GIVE A DAMN, DON'T SPAM!

(The opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Template
Software, Mensa, the United States Government, or God.)

Post by jdew.. » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>>I can't for the life of me figure out what AT command sets to use
>>to hook two computers up that just have a phone line connecting them
>>(modem to modem) -- I keep getting `no dialtone` errors, etc...
>>I have done it in the past, but I can't remember how...
>>Again, I don't plug the phone line into the wall or anything ...
>>it just goes between each computer
>>I think it has something to do with `off-hook` but I can't remember..
>>Please reply with specific AT command sets if anyone out there
>>knows what I am talking about... thanx alot

>Why not dispense with the modems and just run a "null modem" serial cable
>between the two computers?  Much faster.

If your machine uses ms-dos 6.22, dispense with the null modem cable
and use the msdos interlink utility included with a standard
birectional parallel cable. The whole thing stays transparent and all
you see are extra drive letters on your machine much like a network.
MUCH faster. you can also share printers between machines.
** Cats have 5 bones in their entire bodies. The skull is
just for bumping with and the other four, called feet, are
used for bouncing on the bellies of unsuspecting sleepers.