Zoom 28.8 v.34 vs. Supra 28.8 v.34 - which is better?

Post by Leslie Alex » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.
>I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
>have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
>at 28.8
>On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
>have seen great reviews of it.
>Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?

They both work about the same as far as connect percentage is
concerned.  I've owned both, first the Zoom V.34 and then the Supra
288i V.34.   On my computer, using my telephone lines the Supra is
about one step higher for most common initial connect rate (26,400 vs
24,000).  The Supra has flash ROM for updates, the Zoom doesn't.
The Supra has CallerID, the Zoom doesn't.  The Supra has more
extensive information available on what's actually going on with your
modem (AT\S and AT%Q1), the Zoom basically has AT&V and that's it.
Depending upon your needs either modem would be a good choice at a
reasonable price.

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

Cruised the Internet and got snared in the World Wide Web!!!

Post by Terry Chambe » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.

I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
at 28.8

On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
have seen great reviews of it.

Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?

Thanks ...
Terry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

Post by Anthony Hi » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.

> I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
> have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
> at 28.8

> On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
> have seen great reviews of it.

> Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?

        First, be warned, most magazine reviews seem to use the coin
flipping method of chosing the best modem, and even those that actualy DO
test their modems are only half acurate.  So far I haven't seen a test
that put the Zoom ahead of the Supra (although I know i haven't seen them
all).  Anyway, I personnaly would go for the Supra.  It comes with Flash
ROM, and Supra is actualy fixing the bugs in their modems.  Zoom doesn't
have Flash ROM, and they haven't seemed to have fixed any bugs in their
modems.  The Supra also comes with a few more features than the Zoom (ie
CallerID, Silent Answer, etc.).  Plus the Surpa supports assymetrical
connect rates and the Zoom doesn't.  This means that if you can transfer
data faster in one dirrection then in the other, even if all other factors
are the same the Supra could be getting a better connection (ie Supra
would ahve a 26.4/28.8 connection while the Zoom would have a 26.4/26.4
connection).  The external Supra also comes with an alphanumeric display
which can be quite useful for debuging problems.

Anthony

--

Post by Rick Dav » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.
>I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
>have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
>at 28.8
>On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
>have seen great reviews of it.
>Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?
>Thanks ...
>Terry
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

Terry
Before you decide on either I would check with other people connecting
to the same ISP as you use. I use a ZOOM V34I #275 and can only get
21.6k from my ISP but I always get 26.4k from the other two lines I
call.

Rick Davis

Post by Royal » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.
>I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
>have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
>at 28.8

I've been using a supra V.34 for some time now, and I have rarely seen
it connect at a rate less then 28.8k!!!!!.  Remember, reviewers may
only use the basic setup string which is not always adequate. In
another review, the supra V34 was voted "Best buy"   :-)

Quote:>On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
>have seen great reviews of it.

Well I use the Zoom modem at work. Again it has been fine tuned, but
it seems slower then the Supra, especially in Netscape. It also
connects mostly at 26k to the same ISP and drops the line more
frequently.

Quote:>Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?

I have found the Supra's LED panel invalueable, and features such as
caller ID support, flash upgradeability and it's shear popularity on
the 'net won me over to the Supra. No regrets either.

>Thanks ...
>Terry
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------\\

Leighton James

Post by Richard K. Weav » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>> I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.

>> I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
>> have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
>> at 28.8

>> On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
>> have seen great reviews of it.

>> Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?
>    First, be warned, most magazine reviews seem to use the coin
>flipping method of chosing the best modem, and even those that actualy DO
>test their modems are only half acurate.  So far I haven't seen a test
>that put the Zoom ahead of the Supra (although I know i haven't seen them
>all).  Anyway, I personnaly would go for the Supra.  It comes with Flash
>ROM, and Supra is actualy fixing the bugs in their modems.  Zoom doesn't
>have Flash ROM, and they haven't seemed to have fixed any bugs in their
>modems.  The Supra also comes with a few more features than the Zoom (ie
>CallerID, Silent Answer, etc.).  Plus the Surpa supports assymetrical
>connect rates and the Zoom doesn't.  This means that if you can transfer
>data faster in one dirrection then in the other, even if all other factors
>are the same the Supra could be getting a better connection (ie Supra
>would ahve a 26.4/28.8 connection while the Zoom would have a 26.4/26.4
>connection).  The external Supra also comes with an alphanumeric display
>which can be quite useful for debuging problems.
>Anthony
>--

The main advantage to the Zoom V.34i is that it is cheap. Generally
you get as good a connect as with any other 28.8. Rankings are for
experts, but at our end, there is little to choose between most of the
major brands other than costs. And, as with everything else, you get
what you pay for.

kw

Post by Hoa » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I am looking to get a 28.8 fax/modem - mostly for use on the Internet.

> I have always bought Supra fax/modems and have never had any problems but I
> have seen a bad review of the 28.8 and hear it quite often does not connect
> at 28.8

> On the opposite side, I have heard that the Zoom 28.8 is almost perfect and I
> have seen great reviews of it.

Ummm, but I think you have that reversed.  I see WAY more complaints
with Zoom vfc/v34 modems than with Supra.

Quote:> Does anyone have any personal opinions on these modems?

Go with a Supra.  More bang for the buck feature wise.  Plus it has been
rock solid for me.  Haven't actually owned a Zoom 28.8 but from my
experience calling Zoom operated BBSes, the Zoom just doesn't connect
reliably at a decent speed.  Another brand you might want to look into
which is slightly more expensive is the Motorola Power.  Seems to very
popular on this newsgroup.

Zoom 28.8 v.34 vs. Supra 28.8 v.34 - which is better?

Post by Ric » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

  Definitely is the Supra and it is slightly more expensive than the
ZOOM. I used to have a ZOOM, in some task it is 30% faster in the same
connection rate.

Zoom 28.8 v.34 vs. Supra 28.8 v.34 - which is better?

Post by TRUONG NGUY » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

        I have a supra that I'm quite happy with. I was a little dismayed
when I first got it when I only recieved 26.4kps, but after the rom
upgrade I get a constant 28.8 recieve without a hickup.

Truong

Zoom 28.8 v.34 vs. Supra 28.8 v.34 - which is better?

Post by Koen Peeterma » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

On 14-Aug-95 06:41:45, TRUONG NGUYEN Wrote:

Quote:>       I have a supra that I'm quite happy with. I was a little dismayed
>when I first got it when I only recieved 26.4kps, but after the rom
>upgrade I get a constant 28.8 recieve without a hickup.

Who said that flash ram is useless without an upgradable datapump ?? ;-))

  //   Koen Peetermans - Vrijheersstraat 8 - B-3891 Gingelom - Belgium
\X/    "There can be only ONE !"           - Highlander

1. PM288HC II V.34 vs. USR Sportster 28.8 V.34 (internal)

Since the USR Sportster's were the first v.34 modems to hit the shelf, I
purchased one at a local CompUSA.  Using the Sportster, I regularly made
connections to my Internet provider at 26,400 (ISP also using Sportster
v.34s).  From my own testing and discussion in this group, it was apparent
that fall forward did not work between two Sportsters.  There was also the
well discussed Sportster -> v.FC connection bug.

So, since CompUSA offers the 30 day return/exchange, I was waiting for the
PPI's to hit the shelf.  Now that they have, I swapped the Sportster and I'm
not thrilled with the results.  My best connect so far has been 24,400 and I
almost immediatly fall backward to 21,600.  Also, the ATI5 and ATI6 commands
do not seem to work on the PPI, even though they're covered in the
documentation.  I've been using AT&V and ATS43? to check my DCE speeds.

I've always heard that the best connects are established between two
identical modems, but what's the purpose of the ITU v.34 _standard_ if I can
not achieve equivalent connects between these two modems?  I know the
"cleanliness" of phone lines comes into play at the 28,800 speeds but I'm in a
relatively new subdivision and the entire house is wired with Category 5
(100 Mbps) home runs!

Right now, I'm using:  AT&F1S95=44W1 (or W2) as my init string.  I'm using
Trumpet 2.0B, DTE speed 115,200, hardware handshaking.

I'd _really_ like to keep the PPI modem.  With a prescence on the Internet and
tech-support that doesn't make you wait on hold for 10 minutes (long distance)
to be told "We'll have to get back with you!", I feel that PPI values their
customers alot more.  The PPI was also about $45 less than the USR.

However, 21,600 is just not acceptable.  At that speed, I'm losing 50% of the
benefit of v.34!  So, whose at fault, what's the solution, etc?  USR told me
it'd be at least another couple weeks before the fix to the v.34 Sportster.

I'd gladly take any advice/init strings from those achieving 26,400+ connects
with the PPI.

Thanks.

// #include <std/disclaimer.h>

// Ryan Gran - This .sig lines up under Windows.  "The Truth is Out There."

// Advanced Systems Engineering  *  LAN & Voice Mail Solutions for Atlanta!

2. client XP lost dns

3. USR vs Supra 28.8 V.34: Opinions?

4. FS/T: Amiga HW/SW And Video Games

5. Can you upgrade USR 28.8 v.34 External to v.34+?

6. Macintosh

7. 28.8 USR V.34 to Practical Peripheral V.34

8. Port Translation

9. Supra 28.8 vs. USR 28.8 Sportster vs. Practical 28.8 ?

10. Zoom 28.8 v.34x model 470 vs Motorola 28.8 ext. Surfer:which is better?

11. What is a difference between USR 28.8/VI and USR 28.8/V.34?

12. ZOOM 28.8 V.34

13. Zoom 275 V.34 28.8 modem init string?