Anyone having this X2 problem???

Post by sound.. » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I recently picked up an X2 Sportster and started playing with it. My
ISP is Netcom, USA and they haven't rolled out the X2 support yet.
(supposed to make an announcement on the 25th). I dialed the USR BBS
and all was well...connected at 50k or so and the line test indicated
that my line was ok.

I heard in some group or other that Netcom Canada had already started
testing X2, so I called up the Vancouver BC pop (604-331-0614). I got
a 46,666 connect every time and anything that strictly used IPs worked
fine (ping, CuSeeMe, etc), however anything that used a domain name
returned an error like "unable to resolve host name". Initially I
thought that maybe the DNS wasn't hooked up to the fast modems or
something, but on closer examination, I noticed that the errors were
Winsock errors and the request wasn't even being sent to the modem (no
flashing light...). Since it was an international long distance call,
I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time fooling with it; maybe 10
minutes.

The really odd thing is that since I got the X2, I can occasionally
connect at 31k to the Seattle pop and have the same DNS problem. When
I get a 28.8 connection, everything works perfectly just like it
always has. (using Win95 DUN). Anyone else had this experience? I
don't know if it is a Netcom, modem, or Winsock problem, but since I
only had a Rockwell 28.8 modem before, I have no experience connecting
at the higher rates, so I don't know where to put the blame.

I'm thinking that it's some sort of bug in the X2 firmware, but maybe
I need the ISDN accelerator pack or something, huh? Anybody???

(btw-using Tyan Tomcat P-200 PCI, Award 4.51 bios, onboard 16550 UART,
Win95 w/ kernel update and service pack 1, standard issue Winsock)

To reply via Email, remove "DIEspammingPIG" from my address

soundguy <(((

"Trust neither "experts" nor "excerpts"...as they
each consist of insufficient data"

Anyone having this X2 problem???

Post by George Meal » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:06:14 GMT,

>The really odd thing is that since I got the X2, I can occasionally
>connect at 31k to the Seattle pop and have the same DNS problem. When
>I get a 28.8 connection, everything works perfectly just like it
>always has. (using Win95 DUN). Anyone else had this experience? I
>don't know if it is a Netcom, modem, or Winsock problem, but since I
>only had a Rockwell 28.8 modem before, I have no experience connecting
>at the higher rates, so I don't know where to put the blame.

Prior to purchasing my x2, I had my Winsock set up with all the
defaults...i.e., it pulled the IP, gateway, and DNS addresses from the
server it was calling.  Upon upgrading, I found I had the same problem
you experienced.  Manually entering the DNS number in the TCP/IP
properties dialog fixed it.  Basically, go into Dial Up Networking,
right click on your ISP's entry, choose Properties.  Somewhere in
there is the button that lets you set TCP/IP options on an entry by
entry basis; enter your ISP's DNS numbers in the appropriate place.

Pulling down the dynamic IP and the default gateway still worked, btw.
:)

Geo
--

Programmer/Systems Analyst          Office: (415) 328-9270
Cambria Corporation                 Fax:    (415) 328-8642

"Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part
of the steamroller, you're part of the road." -- Stewart Brand

Anyone having this X2 problem???

Post by John Nav » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>I heard in some group or other that Netcom Canada had already started
>testing X2, so I called up the Vancouver BC pop (604-331-0614). I got
>a 46,666 connect every time and anything that strictly used IPs worked
>fine (ping, CuSeeMe, etc), however anything that used a domain name
>returned an error like "unable to resolve host name". ...

You probably did not have the DNS server addresses set up properly in your
TCP/IP stack.

Quote:>To reply via Email, remove "DIEspammingPIG" from my address

No, if you can't be bothered to use a real email address, then I can't be
bothered to email you a reply.

--
Best regards,

      28800 Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by sound.. » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>To reply via Email, remove "DIEspammingPIG" from my address

>No, if you can't be bothered to use a real email address, then I can't be
>bothered to email you a reply.

Doesn't look to me as if I was requesting an email reply, only
suggesting how to do it if you were so inclined.

BTW, it was indeed a missing DNS number.  Didn't have a problem at
28.8, but the X2 racks don't take kindly to auto-configuration
requests for some reason. "Feature" or "Bug"? Guess it doesn't matter
now...it works!

Thanks to all who chipped in!

To reply via Email, remove "DIEspammingPIG" from my address

soundguy <(((

Television: Broadcasting for beautiful people with beautiful voices
Radio: Broadcasting for ugly people with beautiful voices
Internet: Broadcasting for ugly people with speech impediments

1. IBM 7845 and DMS 100 problems - Anyone else having problems?

Hi,

We are having severe problems with our IBM 7845's on BRIs served off
of a DMS100 and am wondering if others are having similar problems.
We have about 20 users out there with exactly the same config:

- 7845 NT1 Extended
- Digi PC-IMAC

All but 3 are on a 5E.  All 3 that are on a DMS have the problem
consistently, the 17 people on a 5E (including my line) work great.

The problem is when making a voice call the call is just dropped mid
stream, usually within the first 15 minutes of the call (sometimes
immediately, sometimes it takes 15 minutes).  It does not appear as if
we are losing the TEI, as you can hangup the phone, pick it back up
and get dialtone immediately.  It does not seem to matter whether the
Digi card is on-line or not.  Our first thought was that the Digi card
is grabbing 2 TEIs, but close analysis with a Tekelek analyzer says
that is not happening.

This gets really wierd when we try to put the Tekelek analyzer on the
line.  We are unable to see anything when we try to analyze the S/T
bus, as the 7845 does not pass the D channel info (related to it's
device) out the S/T bus.  When we analyze at the U interface (between
the wall jack and the 7845), the problem goes away, disconnect the
Tekelek box, and the problem re-appears!

Both IBM and Ameritech are trying REAL HARD to isolate this problem,
but are stumped.  IBM is shipping us a special cable to try, but we
are not betting the farm on this fix..  What we find real hard to
believe is that we are the only ones having this problem, it is too
consistent to be totally isolated to us.

If anyone else has seen this problem please let me know.  I need to
know what switch type you are served by, whether any of Adtran's magic
boxes are being used (BRITE cards or copper extenders), what other
devices are on the BRI, and any other info on your config that seems
relevant.

Thanks in advance,

2. no server?

3. Motorola 28.8: anyone else having problems or just me?

4. Iomega Jaz Drive

5. Anyone having problems with MacVoice?

6. ULTRA2

7. Is anyone else having lock-up problems with their Supra V.32bis?

8. Mine beats yours, nyah, nyah, nyah, etc. (was: Re: Is th

9. Anyone Having Problems With AT&T Local Services

10. Is anyone having Printing problems with NFS or Unix Print Services for NW4 2.1

11. Anyone else having problems with USB USR/3COM Isdn TA?

12. Bell Atlantic NJ users, Anyone else having this problem

13. Anyone having problems with comcast.net E-mail?